rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
rmk, can you tell me about the ceiling mounts you've chosen for the height speakers? If I go through with this, you have already convinced me that I will drill into my speakers! I have to email PSB about where on the back panel it is safer to screw into, and how thick it is, etc. Thanks! (I tell you, finding ceiling mounts for keyhole speakers all seemed to be pretty wimpy from what I saw).

Also, can you PM me about where and how much for the 80.1?

Oh, lastly, I'm sure you don't know, because I don't know if anyone knows, but do you think future 3D video will pass thru just fine with today's pre/pros? I ask, just in case you had a tidbit to share.

Thanks again.

edit: ok, did some research, looks like I have to hold off on pre/pro if 3D is important to me . . . grr
The mounts I bought are now out of stock.
look like they will do the job.

I think 3D is an interesting novelty. Looks like it will require HDMI-4 but there is still much unknown. I certainly wouldn't make (or hold off on) a purchase based upon 3D technology but that just me. I can't stand the goggles :p.

I'm still waiting to see Avitar at IMAX and that may change my mind but I doubt it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The mounts I bought are now out of stock.
look like they will do the job.
I was going to remind you to gimme a link or name, but now I see the web address as I reply. :)

I think 3D is an interesting novelty. Looks like it will require HDMI-4 but there is still much unknown. I certainly wouldn't make (or hold off on) a purchase based upon 3D technology but that just me. I can't stand the goggles :p.
I can certainly appreciate that point of view. I'm sure you can appreciate my hesitation, even if I'm really not that goo-goo over 3D.

I'm still waiting to see Avitar at IMAX and that may change my mind but I doubt it.
I finally saw it about a week ago. Now, I haven't seen it in 2D, and while more worthwhile than Up in terms of 3D only, I wouldn't get anticipations too high for it. That's my opinion. You know, we are spoiled. Folks that we sit next to, what do they have at home? The fellow on my left was seriously oohing and aahing, hehe. It is an entertaining show, for sure, but if Avatar is the best we will see for . . . years (?), then . . . well, you know what I'm saying.

btw, I thought the glasses used for Avatar/Imax were much more comfortable than the ones I wore for Up, but that's me. I have no idea at all if there was any difference in tech (or if there is even more than one tech used at the theaters).

oh, the mounts look great, thanks.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I was going to remind you to gimme a link or name, but now I see the web address as I reply. :)

I can certainly appreciate that point of view. I'm sure you can appreciate my hesitation, even if I'm really not that goo-goo over 3D.

I finally saw it about a week ago. Now, I haven't seen it in 2D, and while more worthwhile than Up in terms of 3D only, I wouldn't get anticipations too high for it. That's my opinion. You know, we are spoiled. Folks that we sit next to, what do they have at home? The fellow on my left was seriously oohing and aahing, hehe. It is an entertaining show, for sure, but if Avatar is the best we will see for . . . years (?), then . . . well, you know what I'm saying.

btw, I thought the glasses used for Avatar/Imax were much more comfortable than the ones I wore for Up, but that's me. I have no idea at all if there was any difference in tech (or if there is even more than one tech used at the theaters).

oh, the mounts look great, thanks.

I am going to see Avatar for the 3D and only at a real IMAX. Otherwise, I would just wait for the BR. Like you, my home A/V is so good that dealing with commercial theaters and the people is pointless.

Re the mount, that is weird because I posted a link and I guess you saw it based upon the comment above? Must be a violation of AH security policy :p:rolleyes:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Re the mount, that is weird because I posted a link and I guess you saw it based upon the comment above? Must be a violation of AH security policy :p:rolleyes:
Quote your own post #658 for a moment. You'll see the address between the [image] tags. Lemme give it a shot:

http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-accessories/Wall-Mount-Speaker-Brackets/BR1-Heavy-Duty-Brackets

I wish all mounts looked half as beefy. The main improvement they could make is to use slots, or multiple holes, so that more speakers could be accommodated, but I guess that's what a drill is for. However, I am not sure if I have ever drilled into metal before. Thanks again! Oh yeah, a PM bout the 80.1? If you have reason not to disclose that info, that is fine, but I ask just in case it was only that you forgot. :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey rmk, I got a reply from PSB overnight!

Thank you for your recent request via the PSB Speakers website.

The Crossover is mounted on the Terminal Cup with those speakers. The
only thing we recommend is removing the woofer before drilling, so it
does not get damaged. Also you can then clean out the saw dust from
drilling.

The best place if attaching to the back of the speaker would be just
above the terminal cup.

Best regards,

PSB Speakers
(rn)
I want to be just like you, and have height speakers that I drill into. :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Quote your own post #658 for a moment. You'll see the address between the [image] tags. Lemme give it a shot:

http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-accessories/Wall-Mount-Speaker-Brackets/BR1-Heavy-Duty-Brackets

I wish all mounts looked half as beefy. The main improvement they could make is to use slots, or multiple holes, so that more speakers could be accommodated, but I guess that's what a drill is for. However, I am not sure if I have ever drilled into metal before. Thanks again! Oh yeah, a PM bout the 80.1? If you have reason not to disclose that info, that is fine, but I ask just in case it was only that you forgot. :)
Thanks, I guess I didn't include the text for the link :confused:. Anyway, I bought these mounts for my height speakers. As you can see they are out of stock but have slots on one end and they have no problem with the 27lb S8's.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I usually end up welding and drilling brackets together. Pretty senseless for how cheap I could buy something pre-made now that I see you guys posting these. :rolleyes:

By the time I measure, buy the material, cut it, weld it, drill it, paint it....

Effort into the wrong thing, story of my life. :)

Anyways, for modifying a speaker to accept a bracket, I'd drill a pilot hole, slob some epoxy in there and then wack a T-nut into it.

The epoxy adhesive I use for just about everything is this:
http://westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

You can buy it from Wick's Aircraft Supply

I use that stuff for all kinds of things, only thing you have to be careful of is if you ever want to remove it... your screwed. :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The epoxy adhesive I use for just about everything is this:
http://westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

You can buy it from Wick's Aircraft Supply

I use that stuff for all kinds of things, only thing you have to be careful of is if you ever want to remove it... your screwed. :D
Thanks for the tip on the epoxy. I really good adhesives is hard to find.

Saw your post on SQ in your HT thread. I'm in the same boat (so to speak;)). We watched Pandorum last night and the movie is forgettable but the sound was amazing. The bluray includes a Dolby True HD track that is incredible. Most intense audio I have heard to date. I was running the system -5 from reference and it is the first film that had me jumping out of my chair. The SO had never seen me react to a film like that and was quite amused :p. It was the sound more than anything that created the shock factor. Really incredible dynamics and the bass was way over the top.:cool:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the tip on the epoxy. I really good adhesives is hard to find.
No problem, my general go-to is 3M 5200. It's cheaper, and I just buy it in a caulking gun. It's another death grip, although not as bad as the West System G/Flex. I only use the West System if it is a job that requires a lot of toughness or a strange application. For example, my drivers license cracked almost all the way across, I put some G/Flex across it and you can barely tell. Pretty tough bond, especially with wallets and getting ID'd and so forth. The stuff is /nasty/. Be careful.

Another thing I use, for lighter duty stuff, is 3M VHB Tape:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/VHB/Tapes/

It's the stuff car companies use to tack trim peices and such on.

Saw your post on SQ in your HT thread. I'm in the same boat (so to speak;)). We watched Pandorum last night and the movie is forgettable but the sound was amazing. The bluray includes a Dolby True HD track that is incredible. Most intense audio I have heard to date. I was running the system -5 from reference and it is the first film that had me jumping out of my chair. The SO had never seen me react to a film like that and was quite amused :p. It was the sound more than anything that created the shock factor. Really incredible dynamics and the bass was way over the top.:cool:
I'll have to add it to NetFlix, thanks! I've been having a hard time picking out movies lately - lots of duds.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
MidnightSensi, and rmk for that matter, if I did screw into my speakers, what material/method would be best to seal it back up once again, with original performance intact? I have a good friend who is an expert with wood, and I haven't asked him about it, but I'm sure he could do a good job in making it look as original as possible given what the "sealer" was. I guess* that a lot of things will seal it properly, and my friend would know how to make it look as good as possible, but just picking your brains for future reference. Thanks! :)

Oh Midnight, if you tell me here, or by PM, a few movies that you actually did enjoy, I might be able to come with a worthwhile rec or two, no promises though.

Matt34

Matt34

MidnightSensi, and rmk for that matter, if I did screw into my speakers, what material/method would be best to seal it back up once again, with original performance intact? I have a good friend who is an expert with wood, and I haven't asked him about it, but I'm sure he could do a good job in making it look as original as possible given what the "sealer" was. I guess* that a lot of things will seal it properly, and my friend would know how to make it look as good as possible, but just picking your brains for future reference. Thanks! :)

Oh Midnight, if you tell me here, or by PM, a few movies that you actually did enjoy, I might be able to come with a worthwhile rec or two, no promises though.
PL Adhesive would make for a great sealer as it expands as it dries.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief

If your speakers are veneer wood grain forgetaboutit cause patch will never look "right". If they are painted then this is relatively easy and any high viscosity filler would do. Auto body filler (bondo) is easy to sand and paint.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If your speakers are veneer wood grain forgetaboutit cause patch will never look "right". If they are painted then this is relatively easy and any high viscosity filler would do. Auto body filler (bondo) is easy to sand and paint.
I appreciate your thoughts. I don't try to delude myself in thinking it will look perfect, but was just curious if something could be done to make it look at least less offensive. Perhaps not. I will say that my woodworker friens is known as a sort of magician with wood, but perhaps when the day comes, I will choose to do nothing for the "aesthetics". Thanks again!

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The trouble with stuff that has big expansion during cure is you can get some cracking in stuff like wood.

Some wood glue is enough to get something air tight. Or even a gasket (which a lot of hardware will come with if it is made for speakers).

If you need it really tough, or are worried about it .... It kind of depends on the application, with what sealant and/or adhesive to use. Like if I install something OVER a piece of wood, I generally drill pilot holes and then bead 5200 around the shape of the bracket, circling the holes but not touching. Then I put the bracket on and screw it. If some excess comes out, a quick whipe with my fingers and then some adhesive remover cleans up the edges.

If I just screw into something light, then I typically just use the mounting hardware and maybe some blue Loctite.

If it is a recessed piece (like a lot of grab bars for speakers are, or speaker terminals, etc.), I'd mark the template on there, cut it out, then bead some 5200 around the inside edges, then put the piece in there, screw it in and let it cure.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The trouble with stuff that has big expansion during cure is you can get some cracking in stuff like wood.

Some wood glue is enough to get something air tight. Or even a gasket (which a lot of hardware will come with if it is made for speakers).

If you need it really tough, or are worried about it .... It kind of depends on the application, with what sealant and/or adhesive to use. Like if I install something OVER a piece of wood, I generally drill pilot holes and then bead 5200 around the shape of the bracket, circling the holes but not touching. Then I put the bracket on and screw it. If some excess comes out, a quick whipe with my fingers and then some adhesive remover cleans up the edges.

If I just screw into something light, then I typically just use the mounting hardware and maybe some blue Loctite.

If it is a recessed piece (like a lot of grab bars for speakers are, or speaker terminals, etc.), I'd mark the template on there, cut it out, then bead some 5200 around the inside edges, then put the piece in there, screw it in and let it cure.
I defer to your expertise in this area ;).

BTW, I thought Hurt Locker was a really good film.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
This is it

I’m posting this mini review here as this review is based upon sound and having a system that is capable of reproducing close to live concert level sound. I was reading post in another forum by Danley Sound Labs President Mike Hedden yesterday and he was praising the bass and overall audio quality of “This is it”. He made a caveat to his post by saying that his impressions were based upon listening to this Bluray disk using his quad TH-SPUD subs plus his 5 large Danley speakers and, that YMMV based upon the limitations of your system. Being up to the challenge, I rented and watched the Michael Jackson concert documentary last night.

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the man’s work and his personal issues made this film even less interesting to me. But based upon Mike Hedden’s comments and my SO liking his music, we decided to give it a go. I’m very happy that we did.

Besides being a fascinating look at a supremely talented but tortured celebrity, the DTS HD-Master Audio sound is simply mind blowing. We felt like we were transported right there to the rehearsal hall listening to this amazingly clean and powerful music. The driving rhythm of Jackson’s music plus the incredible musicianship of his band and then the almost supernatural talent of MJ himself were mesmerizing. It is the best sounding audio track I have ever heard period and, it is the type of disk that for those of us who spend a lot of time and money on our systems delivers the BIG payback.

Outside of more superlatives, all I can say is I will be buying this disk and it is now my #1 reference demo.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for posting Rob. My kids love MJ and with your recommendation I'll be buying the BD disc.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Outside of more superlatives ...
You could use some f^%&ing swear words. :eek: They're pretty descriptive. :D

I was going to avoid this even as a rental because I don't approve of people owning monkeys. It's modern day slavery. However after reading your post I'll probably be grabbing it as a rental. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis