M

Motoginny

Audiophyte
I recently purchased an audio source amp310 vs amp. It’s paired with a Yamaha r-s700 receiver powered into definitive technology 9080 speakers. Up until recently I’ve been happy with the upgrade. Then I noticed the other day listening to Eleanor Rigby Paul McCartneys voice was really faint. Then I noticed it on the Who song helpless dancer when Daltreys voice is supposed to alternate between channels it is faint. One is phono the other cd. New cables.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Useless subjective description. Maybe measurements could convey what you think you're experiencing. Different media and even mixes/mastering between them can make a difference. Cables if adequate won't make a difference new or old.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Remove the cheap Audio Source amp and just use the Yamaha receiver. See if that improves.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Remove the cheap Audio Source amp and just use the Yamaha receiver. See if that improves.
The list price of the Yamaha R-S700 when HTHF reviewed it in 2011 was $549 so it might be cheaper than the OP's cheap Audio Source amp!

Having said that, the R-S700, based on what I saw in the SM and Dr. Rich's comments, I would consider it a better amp that the current A-S701 and A-S801 integrated amps. It is the only "cheap" 2 channel Yamaha receiver that I know of, that uses balanced input/output in the preamp section. It also has pre outs and sub outs and the thing can be used as separate preamp or power amp.

I wish Yamaha had continued the same approach in their design of their <$1,000 amp, instead of those AVR derived A-S701. So I agree with you that the OP should remove the Audio Source amp, though that may not likely solve the problem, but it could at least narrow it down to whether the issue is the Audio source amp or the Yamaha receiver. If both are trouble free, the Yamaha on its own should perform better sonically, in theory...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The list price of the Yamaha R-S700 when HTHF reviewed it in 2011 was $549 so it might be cheaper than the OP's cheap Audio Source amp!

Having said that, the R-S700, based on what I saw in the SM and Dr. Rich's comments, I would consider it a better amp that the current A-S701 and A-S801 integrated amps. It is the only "cheap" 2 channel Yamaha receiver that I know of, that uses balanced input/output in the preamp section. It also has pre outs and sub outs and the thing can be used as separate preamp or power amp.

I wish Yamaha had continued the same approach in their design of their <$1,000 amp, instead of those AVR derived A-S701. So I agree with you that the OP should remove the Audio Source amp, though that may not likely solve the problem, but it could at least narrow it down to whether the issue is the Audio source amp or the Yamaha receiver. If both are trouble free, the Yamaha on its own should perform better sonically, in theory...
Yeah, I meant I consider any Audio Source or Emo to be a lower quality amp than a Yamaha. :D

M

Motoginny

Audiophyte
Useless subjective description. Maybe measurements could convey what you think you're experiencing. Different media and even mixes/mastering between them can make a difference. Cables if adequate won't make a difference new or old.

M

Motoginny

Audiophyte
I’m going to return the amp and maybe get a Marants amp. I just found it weird that it wasn’t playing some vocals or even some instruments. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m going to return the amp and maybe get a Marants amp. I just found it weird that it wasn’t playing some vocals or even some instruments. Thanks
Make sure the speakers aren't damaged....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you even need another amp? The Yamaha amp is good.

M

Motoginny

Audiophyte
The speakers are fine. Even though I’m having some issues with the audio source amp. It still pushes the speakers way better than just the receiver. Plus it runs cooler.

W

Whanifeceas

Audiophyte
basketball random said:

I recently purchased an audio source amp310 vs amp. It’s paired with a Yamaha r-s700 receiver powered into definitive technology 9080 speakers. Up until recently I’ve been happy with the upgrade. Then I noticed the other day listening to Eleanor Rigby Paul McCartneys voice was really faint. Then I noticed it on the Who song helpless dancer when Daltreys voice is supposed to alternate between channels it is faint. One is phono the other cd. New cables.
Test with a different source besides phono and CD, like streaming music through the receiver. If vocals sound normal there, then the issue might be specific to your phono or CD player.

M

Motoginny

Audiophyte
Test with a different source besides phono and CD, like streaming music through the receiver. If vocals sound normal there, then the issue might be specific to your phono or CD player.
I tried that. Same problem. I ended up exchanging it for a maranta. Works great except it doesn’t have bass and treble controls like the audio source had.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried that. Same problem. I ended up exchanging it for a maranta. Works great except it doesn’t have bass and treble controls like the audio source had.
Most integrated amps/avrs do have such controls, but may not be knobs but in the software. What model?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a special purpose power amp....more for multi room/multi speaker installations/distributed home audio. Even then it isn't a usual feature.

M

Motoginny

Audiophyte
I thought it was a 2 channel a-b amplifier. Doesn’t matter at this point as crutchfield exchanged it even up for the Marantz. They’re a great company to work with!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is that, but a fairly unusual category/feature for a power amp....you should still be able to use the Yamaha's tone controls tho

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, at least the Marantz amp is better quality than any Audiosource amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis