Need new laptop for deployment

Matt34

Matt34

Not looking to spend much more than $1500. Has to have dedicated graphics card for RTS type games. Been looking at Sager, ASUS, MSI, and Alienware. 15-17" models, 2nd gen i7 processor desired.

Thanks

Matt34

Matt34

Yeah, I have been keeping up either. That MSI is a powerhouse for the price but the build quality has been called into question by a few reviews I've seen.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How big of the screen you want?

p.s: I like Asus stuff, but would stay away from MSI laptops

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd suggest checking out MALIBAL Lotus P150HM or Sager NP8150
They are pretty much same product and cost about same $1500
Both run promo for cheap upgrade for 6990M Video card - currently this is one of the best gpu's you could get on mobile.

So for a bit under $1.5k you could get this config:

Display 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080) [$30.00]
Video & Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory [$145.00]
CPU Processor 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz)
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 X 4GB
Primary Hard Disk Drive 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

My colleague got himself very similar system from Malibal and he's pretty happy with it

Sager does free conus shipping

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Check out delloutlet. I've been buying laptops there for years. Always first rate quality - good as new, for a discount. Some of their Precision models would fit the bill. I have the M6600 now, and had the M4400 before that.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I agree with the sager 8150 suggestion. Malibal is good, they've got a good reputation over at notebookreivew.com but lately some stuff has come up about them getting machines from a company called Eurocom which is a no no. Eurocom is evil lol.. Doesn't tarnish their service and customer approval rating, but it doesn't shed a good light as they swore up and down that they didn't..

I'd say check out Xotic PC over Malibal. My personal preference is Mythlogic, they're a smaller shop, but they build their laptops from shells from Clevo whereas Xotic or Malibal order the systems mostly prebuilt from Sager and just add some of their own components. they charge a bit more, but if you're nice to them, they'll hook you up. They even do custom paintings a decals now. I ordered a LOADED 8150 last year (read: $3400) and ended up getting it for $2600. That was a one time thing though as I became fairly good friends with the co-owner, and I have a way with words :rolleyes: I sadly had to return it due to money isses, but it was awesome. It's quite solid, i'd give the keyboard a 6.5/10 and the trackpad a 4/10 though.

BTW, Xotic and Malibal both give discounts to Notebook Review members. You have to have like 5 or 10 posts first though.

When are you deploying? The new stuff is due out in a few months.. Currently they don't have a way to switch from the dedicated GPU to the internal one one their high end systems which means you're looking at 2-3hrs of battery life max. Some people have done pretty well undervolting/clocking their gpu's to get a longer battery life though.

The refresh is due this summer with Ivy Bridge processors and some very nice gpu's from Nvidia. They'll have graphics switching and they're adding backlit keyboards for the first time. That'll potentially double the battery life.

I highly recommend a Solid State Drive. No moving parts so if it gets bumped around while you're out saving the world somewhere, the contents of the drive will be safe. Plus it uses a lot less power = more battery life. And it's a zillion times faster than a standard hard drive. once you have one, you'll wonder how you got along without one lol

I might not be up on all the audio stuff yet, but Sager's are one area I'm well versed in :D

Check out these video reviews from Xotic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Kzwu_Hcqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9gHw8Jpt0&feature=related

My 8150 had those specs except I had the i7 2720 processor, a SSD, and the upgraded 95% gamut matte screen which was absolutely gorgeous btw.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is it something that will be subjected to abuse?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I dont know much about the asus.. I do, however, despise Best Buy very much lol.. You can order custom G series laptops from Xotic PC if you wanted one, but I think they're a bit pricier. They are quite large laptops, so make sure you consider that. Maybe head over to a best buy or similar store to check one out..

Since you brought up the dust issue, if you watched the second Xotic PC video, basically the entire bottom comes off in one piece on the sager 8150. You have access to all the fans and vents, then after that it's only a few more steps to take the keyboard off to clean it out.. My understanding with the G series is that it isn't the easiest laptop to disassemble.. Something to consider.

If you wanted to make payments, then you'd probably have to go the best buy route. Please, for the love of god, don't buy anything geek-squad related..

Oh, and all Sager re-sellers/builders off a military discount as well ;)

Matt34

Matt34

I dont know much about the asus.. I do, however, despise Best Buy very much lol.. You can order custom G series laptops from Xotic PC if you wanted one, but I think they're a bit pricier. They are quite large laptops, so make sure you consider that. Maybe head over to a best buy or similar store to check one out..

Since you brought up the dust issue, if you watched the second Xotic PC video, basically the entire bottom comes off in one piece on the sager 8150. You have access to all the fans and vents, then after that it's only a few more steps to take the keyboard off to clean it out.. My understanding with the G series is that it isn't the easiest laptop to disassemble.. Something to consider.

If you wanted to make payments, then you'd probably have to go the best buy route. Please, for the love of god, don't buy anything geek-squad related..

Oh, and all Sager re-sellers/builders off a military discount as well ;)
I'm not stuck on the bestbuy route, it's just an option. I think I've got it narrowed down to either a Sager NP8130 or an Asus ASUS G74SX. Going to try some different builds and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help so far.;)

Matt34

Matt34

I'm really liking the stealth fighter look of the ASUS G-series.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Sized Up: g74 vs np8130 vs paper

size comparison between g74, 8130, and a sheet of paper (for perspective). I personally wouldn't enjoy lugging that 9.5lb thing around, not to mention the giant backpack required to hold it, and it's large power brick.. but then again, you're probably in a lot better shape than I lol..

If you like the looks, then go for it. At least go check one out if you've got the chance though. It's got a rubber type coating all over that attracts lint/dirt and makes it hard to get some finger prints off. same with the 8150, but the 8130 is a solid plastic. it'll show finger prints, but they'll wipe off easily.

I will say that the G series is the only other laptop series that I know of that is on the same level as Sager far as cooling design is concerned. Both have spectacular cooling abilities.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Since dust is so rampant you may want to get something low cost and easy to replace.

At the very least be sure to have canned air available.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For the life in me I can not call 17.3" laptop - "portable"
15 or 15.6" is the most you should go imho
I got friend of mine HP Envy 14, these are nice, but specs are far cry from Sager's machines and the Beats audio chosen by HP is a huge turnoff for me

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Most of my friends who have deployed to iraq/afghanistan never complained about their giant 17" laptops (I would rather have something smaller myself though).

I would really recommend getting that blower thing though. Costs as much as a couple cans of air and lasts a hell of a lot longer while being a lot more powerful :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis