Canadians Causing Trouble Again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just last week, our weather service announced that we should have good air quality this summer, as conditions were not likely to allow widespread forest fires.
They did not tell the Canadians.

We had our first "summer" like day here in the Twin Cities. It was a beautiful day in the Twin Cities with temperatures in the eighties. However, the weather service was giving dire warnings of a severe and sudden decline in air quality starting this evening. The cause: - fires in Alberta and BC Canada.
The warnings on TV were borderline hysterical. Anyhow I went out to water the flowers just in case before our evening meal. Well right after that smoke rolled in like I have never seen it before.

So we quickly went from air quality around 20 to 163.

Forecast is for it to worsen tonight, and be bad tomorrow morning and clear by noon, due to a wind change.

Canadians put out your fires!

This is the smoke map: - https://fire.airnow.gov/

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Just last week, our weather service announced that we should have good air quality this summer, as conditions were not likely to allow widespread forest fires.

We had our first "summer" like day here in the Twin Cities. It was a beautiful day in the Twin Cities with temperatures in the eighties. However, the weather service was giving dire warnings of a severe and sudden decline in air quality starting this evening. The cause: - fires in Alberta and BC Canada.
The warnings on TV were borderline hysterical. Anyhow I went out to water the flowers just in case before our evening meal. Well right after that smoke rolled in like I have never seen it before.

Forecast is for it to worsen tonight, and be bad tomorrow morning and clear by noon, due to a wind change.

Are the forests more dense up there or what?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

If only it was as simple as just "put out your fires". After a winter of very little snowfall, conditions in the north-west regions are tinder dry, which creates the conditions where a fire is more likely to be sparked and spread quickly. Some areas are so vast and remote that actually getting to them to fight fires is a major logistical challenge.

But, populated areas are endangered, as well.
Fast-growing wildfire may hit Fort Nelson, B.C., today, officials say | CBC News

Here on the east coast, it isn't so dire. While we aren't getting as much rain as we would normally receive, the conditions aren't as dry as last spring. That can change quickly though and we don't have much precipitation in the forecast.

While weather isn't climate, what we're experiencing isn't just normal fluctuation in weather conditions.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If only it was as simple as just "put out your fires". After a winter of very little snowfall, conditions in the north-west regions are tinder dry, which creates the conditions where a fire is more likely to be sparked and spread quickly. Some areas are so vast and remote that actually getting to them to fight fires is a major logistical challenge.

But, populated areas are endangered, as well.
Fast-growing wildfire may hit Fort Nelson, B.C., today, officials say | CBC News

Here on the east coast, it isn't so dire. While we aren't getting as much rain as we would normally receive, the conditions aren't as dry as last spring. That can change quickly though and we don't have much precipitation in the forecast.

While weather isn't climate, what we're experiencing isn't just normal fluctuation in weather conditions.
Dense and dry in a nutshell. But some people just want to complain. These fires pretty serious when 68k people in one area are told they might have to leave.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68996062

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Dense and dry in a nutshell. But some people just want to complain. These fires pretty serious when 68k people in one area are told they might have to leave.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68996062
Those 68 thousand people are in Fort McMurray, which is ground zero of the oil sands industry, had a wild fire sweep through a few years back. A friend of mine lost her house there.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Those 68 thousand people are in Fort McMurray, which is ground zero of the oil sands industry, had a wild fire sweep through a few years back. A friend of mine lost her house there.
In the states, fires are already ramping up. Current fires in the US

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The readings have come down here slightly, but again the smoke forecast was way over optimistic. It looks awful, and I would not want to spend anytime outside. We have come down about 7 points since this morning, but still code red.

I think this is going to require more concerted action. This is a negative feedback loop we have here.

I would propose a continent wide solution and much more resources.

I think definite fire breaks need to created. I know this is a vast area, and at present very in accessible. So roads, which also acts as fire breaks need to be driven through to make access easier. Resources need to be placed at definite intervals for promptly fighting these fires from ground and air.

Whatever it takes, this can not continue, and is an existential threat to the whole planet.

Climate change will take centuries to come under control, even with the most optimistic outlook.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

The readings have come down here slightly, but again the smoke forecast was way over optimistic. It looks awful, and I would not want to spend anytime outside. We have come down about 7 points since this morning, but still code red.

I think this is going to require more concerted action. This is a negative feedback loop we have here.

I would propose a continent wide solution and much more resources.

I think definite fire breaks need to created. I know this is a vast area, and at present very in accessible. So roads, which also acts as fire breaks need to be driven through to make access easier. Resources need to be placed a definite intervals for promptly fighting these fires from ground and air.

Whatever it takes, this can not continue, and is an existential threat to the whole planet.

Climate change will take centuries to come under control, even with the most optimistic outlook.
Your AQI was 163? Last year, Milwaukee had readings in the 350 area. That was bad.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your AQI was 163? Last year, Milwaukee had readings in the 350 area. That was bad.
Yes, we had those kind of readings last year also. However 165 is not good for you and looks bad. Just because it has been worse does not make it good now.

This red alert has now been extended to 11:00 PM tonight for Eagan. I have a feeling we'll be bothered by this on and off this whole summer.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I live in Florida. We have our own weather-related problems. :)
But yes, I agree that fire breaks need to be created worldwide or at least in North America.
Putting a band aid on the fossil fuel global warming issue but at least it's something.
But as an astute leader has said "Drill baby drill!"

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Forest fires are an issue, along with prevention measures. We live 30 minutes south of Madison.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
About 15-20 years ago the Southwest stared having regular fires. So much so that we now call it "Fire Season." The smoke comes in and just sits in the valley. It is sad indeed how easily we normalized this.

Prior to this time period fires were relatively rare. I could still remember Yellowstone fire of 1988 and going out to watch the bright red sunsets. Today I wouldn't be able to tell you what is burning causing the smoke in the city. Usually, it's more than one going on.

The tree rings tell the same story. Our only savior between now and the dustbowl/1930's era is we're doing a better job at water management. I quick google search and I get:

"the southwestern North American megadrought is an ongoing megadrought in the southwestern region of North America that began in 2000. At least 24 years in length, the drought is the driest multi-decade period the region has seen since at least 800 CE"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In the states, fires are already ramping up. Current fires in the US
Glad to see Oregon's not on that list (yet). We have had a decent amount of rain/snow so hoping we escape this year for a change....

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That's for sure.
Kinda glad I'm getting near the end of my days....the future is looking pretty grim for the next generations.
A real shame since the underlying cause seems to be intentional stupidity and indifference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But unfortunately, they have caused the majority of such fires according to statistics.
It's a variety of reasons in some areas (e.g. due to forest clearing/regrowth) but more the combination and acceleration over what just the last 300 years or so? Let alone the momentum we have at this point and the deniers (particularly involved in fossil fuel thing, surprise!) and their political influence. So many pressures and political resistance to do anything significant will I think tell the tale all too soon. Hope I'm wrong but.....

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, we had those kind of readings last year also. However 165 is not good for you and looks bad. Just because it has been worse does not make it good now.

This red alert has now been extended to 11:00 PM tonight for Eagan. I have a feeling we'll be bothered by this on and off this whole summer.
Our AQI was about 23 yesterday and it's 25 now- I definitely hope this year will be better than last- that was no treat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis