Need help with boomy bass in a less than ideal space.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am pretty sure this is the sub I have. http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/pssub150a.html
It is ported. This sub when new cost far more than I would ever spend on one. I don't see a need to spend thousands of dollars on speakers. I have better things to spend my money on so again buying a new sub isn't an option nor is it a desire. I didn't have this issue with my older and less powerful sub in the same room. I have not tried plugging the port yet.
Are you sure that's not this sub:
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/dsub150.html ??? Please double check. the sub you've linked to is not ported.

V

Vijay

Audiophyte
This is my first post in this forum so bear with me. If there is a better thread to post this in please let me know.

I searched through many of the posts on bass management and none seemed to help. I have a room that is 20X12. It has a carpeted concrete floor, wood panel walls (yes we plan to replace them) and a 7.5ft high drop ceiling. A pretty typical 1970's basement. I recently purchased some used home theater equipment to upgrade from what I was previously using for nearly 8 years(Philips fr 996). I have an Integra DTR 40.3 paired with a Pinnacle sub 150 12" and some Phillips surround speakers (no they aren't the best but they sound fine for this space). Even after doing the crawl I have to set the sub volume to nearly it's minimum setting and turn down the sub output in the receiver to -10 to get a decent volume without the sub being too boomy. The surround speakers are plenty loud even at a volume of 50-60 but the bass overpowers everything. I don't have the microphone to try the Audyssey auto EQ but I do have one ordered and it should be here by this weekend.

Is the sub too much for this space? Do I need to adjust the sub EQ settings or is it still a placement issue?

I have my blu ray set to output bitstream via HDMI and the receiver set to a lossless format if possible. If not then I use THX cinema.

Thanks in advance.

V

Vijay

Audiophyte
This is my first post in this forum so bear with me. If there is a better thread to post this in please let me know.

I searched through many of the posts on bass management and none seemed to help. I have a room that is 20X12. It has a carpeted concrete floor, wood panel walls (yes we plan to replace them) and a 7.5ft high drop ceiling. A pretty typical 1970's basement. I recently purchased some used home theater equipment to upgrade from what I was previously using for nearly 8 years(Philips fr 996). I have an Integra DTR 40.3 paired with a Pinnacle sub 150 12" and some Phillips surround speakers (no they aren't the best but they sound fine for this space). Even after doing the crawl I have to set the sub volume to nearly it's minimum setting and turn down the sub output in the receiver to -10 to get a decent volume without the sub being too boomy. The surround speakers are plenty loud even at a volume of 50-60 but the bass overpowers everything. I don't have the microphone to try the Audyssey auto EQ but I do have one ordered and it should be here by this weekend.

Is the sub too much for this space? Do I need to adjust the sub EQ settings or is it still a placement issue?

I have my blu ray set to output bitstream via HDMI and the receiver set to a lossless

This is not reply
I am having trouble please help me

I am using polk sub 550w with my denon rec by 550w but I am not enough bass where is the problem

V

Vijay

Audiophyte
This is not reply BUT PROBLEM
This is my first post I am using polk sub 550w with my denon rec 550bt but I am not getting enough bass response where is problem

S

SatcomRanger

Enthusiast
Repeated the sub crawl which resulted in moving the sub about 12 inches from where it was. Also ran the Audyssey set up. The sub now sits at about 3/4 volume with crossover set to 100hz and we no longer have the booming bass. I will continue to tweak the settings to my preference but at least we can understand the dialog and don't have to keep changing the volume between talking and action scenes.

Thanks for the help. Does't look like we will need to buy another sub after all. That should always be the last suggestion by the way not the first.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I feel it shouldn't be the last suggestion, simply due to it's effectiveness. Multiple subs directly solve problems that no amount of fussing with a single sub can accomplish.

Anywho, I'm late to the party as usual. Kudos on the positive improvements you've achieved. Rock on.

S

SatcomRanger

Enthusiast
I feel it shouldn't be the last suggestion, simply due to it's effectiveness. Multiple subs directly solve problems that no amount of fussing with a single sub can accomplish.

Anywho, I'm late to the party as usual. Kudos on the positive improvements you've achieved. Rock on.
It's not effective on the bank account. Working to solve an issue by troubleshooting is free. Had I done that I would have wasted money better suited for other things.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis