Need Bookshelf speakers recs around $1500 for pair

S

sush15

Audiophyte
Has anyone liked the PMCs? The db1 in particular? . What is the consensus?
Tower wise what do ppl think of Dynaudio excite x34?

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
Lots of things to consider in the thread....

RBH SX-61/R is a contender.
Atlantic Technology AT-2 is a great speaker - kills the B&W CM line,
Phase Technology PC 1.5
Revel M105 (powered well this can have excellent bass in a properly sized room)
KEF LS50 is a great speaker.

They are not a bookshelf, but I am probably going to put a pair of Atlantic AT-1 on sale here soon brand new in a box if anyone is interested. I would take $1,500 for the pair and they retail at $3,000. The AT-1 is on Stereophile's "B" full range list and is a killer speaker.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Has anyone liked the PMCs? The db1 in particular? . What is the consensus?
Tower wise what do ppl think of Dynaudio excite x34?
You're putting too much weight in what others say and not enough in what you are hearing. MOAR AUDITIONS! :)

V

vaf

Enthusiast
I've been doing some window shopping for bookshelf speakers in your price range, basically 1500 and down. For what it's worth, based on a lot of internet feedback and reviews I pared my original list down to the following:

Ascend Sierra-2
Kef LS50
Philharmonitors

The only ones that I've actually had a chance to listen to are the Sierra-2 which sounded phenomenal. I'm holding off on pulling the trigger until I get a chance to listen to at least one of the other pairs. Good luck.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Ascend Sierra-2
Kef LS50
Philharmonitors

The only ones that I've actually had a chance to listen to are the Sierra-2 which sounded phenomenal. I'm holding off on pulling the trigger until I get a chance to listen to at least one of the other pairs. Good luck.
On the Ascend forum someone compared the Sierra-2 to the Philharmonitor and found them to be very close. That makes the P Monitor a phenomenal monitor considering it is half the price.

If you like the sound of Sierra 2, the Philharmonitor will be a no risk decision. I'm constantly wondering if I should have gone that route. I know eventually I'll in-home demo them just to sate my curiosity.

V

vaf

Enthusiast
On the Ascend forum someone compared the Sierra-2 to the Philharmonitor and found them to be very close. That makes the P Monitor a phenomenal monitor considering it is half the price.

If you like the sound of Sierra 2, the Philharmonitor will be a no risk decision. I'm constantly wondering if I should have gone that route. I know eventually I'll in-home demo them just to sate my curiosity.

Thanks. I actually read through a lot of the Sierra-2 development thread on ascend forum and a few others and I came across the comparison that you mentioned. Being half the price is really enticing to me, plus the front port would be a big plus due to some room limitations I have. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the only finish they come in. I'd like to see them in person to make a better judgement, but haven't had the chance yet. I understand this is one of the things that helps to keep the cost low, but based on pictures I've seen on Philharmonic's site and google images I'm still on the fence.

S

sush15

Audiophyte
I could not find a dealer who had the kefs but I did listen to bw cm1, cm5, pm1, focal 906. Sadly the best one i liked wasnt even on list.. PMC DB1 gold edition. It was very very good. Then I got to hear Cm9.yes i know they are floor speakers, i think im going that route now.
My budget just got shot.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I'd highly recommend trying at least two of the I'd companies mentioned. Dollar for dollar you will be surprised. Salk, ascend, and the phils's should be high on any list. Contact them and arrange for an audition and see what you can work out.. at least the process is fun

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

There's a thread on the AVS forum about a guy that brought in the S2 and the PH to audition. First, he ended up extending his audition, then he ended up keeping both.

He declared that the S2 was better, but he still couldn't let go of the PH!

BTW, I own the Phil Monitors and they are great! +1 to those.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. I actually read through a lot of the Sierra-2 development thread on ascend forum and a few others and I came across the comparison that you mentioned. Being half the price is really enticing to me, plus the front port would be a big plus due to some room limitations I have. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the only finish they come in. I'd like to see them in person to make a better judgement, but haven't had the chance yet. I understand this is one of the things that helps to keep the cost low, but based on pictures I've seen on Philharmonic's site and google images I'm still on the fence.
The front port also weighed heavily on my decision to buy the Phils, it just better placement options.

The finish is actually pretty dang good on the Phils. I had a very slight nick in the finish, but I bought mine as Dennis's demo pair from CAF so I think that is acceptable/expected. But, it is so small that I can only see it under my inspection lamp, I doubt that I could get it to show up in a pic.

V

vaf

Enthusiast
The front port also weighed heavily on my decision to buy the Phils, it just better placement options.

The finish is actually pretty dang good on the Phils. I had a very slight nick in the finish, but I bought mine as Dennis's demo pair from CAF so I think that is acceptable/expected. But, it is so small that I can only see it under my inspection lamp, I doubt that I could get it to show up in a pic.
Thanks for the input. It's not so much the quality of the finish that I'm concerned with, rather the finish itself. I'm just not personally a big fan of some of the darker woodgrains. I'd prefer either something lighter, or gloss black. It'd match the room/other furniture better too.

Regardless of the finish, I'm still leaning heavily toward the Phil's as I'm also in the market for a new receiver...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the input. It's not so much the quality of the finish that I'm concerned with, rather the finish itself. I'm just not personally a big fan of some of the darker woodgrains. I'd prefer either something lighter, or gloss black. It'd match the room/other furniture better too.

Regardless of the finish, I'm still leaning heavily toward the Phil's as I'm also in the market for a new receiver...
From what I've read, I suspect that the Sierra 2 is a better speaker. Even Dennis himself tells us that the Sierra 2 RAAL tweeter is better than the Fountek in the Philharmonitors.

Buuuuut, the Sierra 2 is double the price and I doubt that it is double the sound quality. The fact that Dennis is able to take an inferior tweeter and charge half the price and still compete with the Sierra 2 is quite amazing.

S

SWSW

Audioholic Intern
Have you considered the KEF LS 50? they are at your price range and do everything very well except for low bass. I have been very happy with my set. Good luck with your search!

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
From what I've read, I suspect that the Sierra 2 is a better speaker. Even Dennis himself tells us that the Sierra 2 RAAL tweeter is better than the Fountek in the Philharmonitors.

Buuuuut, the Sierra 2 is double the price and I doubt that it is double the sound quality. The fact that Dennis is able to take an inferior tweeter and charge half the price and still compete with the Sierra 2 is quite amazing.
Buuuuut, you're not just paying for a tweeter, you're also getting a solid bamboo cabinet, not just a veneer over MDF. :D

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
KEF LS50's owner here after demoing what seemed a gazzilion ... slight exaggeration :) ... speakers for a year at local B&M shops.

Not to be a fly in the ointment but why the lack of professional reviews on the intergoogle of the AA Sierra 2's. Obviously it must be a great speaker, how else can you explain all those happy customers? I just find it odd. Is this a corporate decision on Ascend Acoustics part? I'm not trolling, just curious.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
KEF LS50's owner here after demoing what seemed a gazzilion ... slight exaggeration :) ... speakers for a year at local B&M shops.

Not to be a fly in the ointment but why the lack of professional reviews on the intergoogle of the AA Sierra 2's. Obviously it must be a great speaker, how else can you explain all those happy customers? I just find it odd. Is this a corporate decision on Ascend Acoustics part? I'm not trolling, just curious.
Most ID brands won't get many professional reviews and 3rd party measurements. I think Stereophile will only review B&M brands. It may cost too much money for the ID speaker companies. The reviewers may write something disparaging directly or indirectly. So there are risks as well as benefits.

ID companies have forums and fans to spread the good words, which is pretty good marketing on its own.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Most ID brands won't get many professional reviews and 3rd party measurements. I think Stereophile will only review B&M brands. It may cost too much money for the ID speaker companies. The reviewers may write something disparaging directly or indirectly. So there are risks as well as benefits.

ID companies have forums and fans to spread the good words, which is pretty good marketing on its own.
Good marketing, yes, but a bit self-serving too. It's rare that you get someone to admit that they made a mistake in choosing some brand/speakers, especially if they didn't sell them yet. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good marketing, yes, but a bit self-serving too. It's rare that you get someone to admit that they made a mistake in choosing some brand/speakers, especially if they didn't sell them yet. :D
Of course. :D

It's about fit. Speakers may sound awesome, have awesome measurements, awesome reviews, but they may not fit the owners in some ways. And that is why people sell their speakers. Look at my case. :D

Most people would love to own KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, Salon2, 802D2, Funk, Philharmonic, etc.

But the speakers have to "fit" the owners. ;)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I think it is just a matter of time. AH did a review of the Sierra 1.

The measurements posted on the Ascend website are the most thorough disclosure of speaker performance. That may have something to do with it :).

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Another given reason is Ascend can not keep up with the demand of the Sierra-2 and would rather allocate parts to customers rather than reviewers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis