Need Bookshelf speakers recs around $1500 for pair

S

sush15

Audiophyte
Hi,

First I am new to this and learning so please forgive any silly questions/comments. I am considering Focal Chorus 706, Focal profile 908,Cambridge Audio Aero 2 and Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2. I am open to any other ppl may think I should look at as well. I would prefer something that was released more recently as I would think the as technology is newer it wont get outdated too soon? Hoping to have this set for 5-10 years perhaps. I have a fairly average sized NYC apartment living room. My budget is $1500.
Also told to consider looking at KH 120 or Axiom audio m22.

Opinions, feedback or comments much appreciated!
Thanks!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Focal Chorus 706 and Axiom M22 are in a different price league. So, not fair to have them in the mix of $1500. The internet's general opinion on the Focal Profile 908 doesn't seem very encouraging.

The Neumann KH120 are active and from what I read, including published FR, they should be fantastic. Note that these have an XLR input only. Pair these with a good analog source that has volume control (like the Oppo 103) and you have the makings of a very good minimally processed setup. That said, the room, speaker placement and listening position optimizations will heavily affect the quality of what you hear. Last but not the least, their f3 is 52 Hz. If you like bass, you will need a subwoofer.

If you have a digital source going to a receiver or are planning to do any processing (eq to correct room response and/or bass management for a sub), my pick from your list would be the Ascend Sierra 2. As it happens, you can find a set in the classifieds here, listed well below cost of new.

S

sush15

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for the detail. What is your opinion of Focal Aria 906 or KEF LS50?

Focal Chorus 706 and Axiom M22 are in a different price league. So, not fair to have them in the mix of $1500. The internet's general opinion on the Focal Profile 908 doesn't seem very encouraging.

The Neumann KH120 are active and from what I read, including published FR, they should be fantastic. Note that these have an XLR input only. Pair these with a good analog source that has volume control (like the Oppo 103) and you have the makings of a very good minimally processed setup. That said, the room, speaker placement and listening position optimizations will heavily affect the quality of what you hear. Last but not the least, their f3 is 52 Hz. If you like bass, you will need a subwoofer.

If you have a digital source going to a receiver or are planning to do any processing (eq to correct room response and/or bass management for a sub), my pick from your list would be the Ascend Sierra 2. As it happens, you can find a set in the classifieds here, listed well below cost of new.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I get a very positive feel from internet research about the Aria 906 and the LS50 routinely end up on the 'Top 5' and 'Top 10' lists.

This is a good list and gives more options. The reader comments section also has good alternatives. Interestingly, couple of people recommended the Sierra 2 for that list and got up-voted a fair bit.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I have the Sierra towers and if the clarity in the Sierra 2 is anything like the towers, from what i've been told it is, then I don't hesitate to recommend the Sierra 2. If you look in the classified thread, ematthews has a pair in natural bamboo for sale at a slight discount. Warranty is fully transferable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another option is the RBH Signature Reference SX-61/R bookshelf. MSRP is $1900/pair, but you could get them for under $1500 street price.

It features the same Status Acoustics Reference drivers as their more expensive Reference towers.

S

sush15

Audiophyte
Or should I just save up the B&W PM1? I know its twice price but is the price difference going to show in output of sound? So conflicted!

S

sush15

Audiophyte
Will be tomorrow!.. I will post an update. I wanted to know where to start hence this thread and lots of research

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
can't go wrong with the Wharefdale Jades or KEF LS50s. Ascend Sierra 2s look great as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or should I just save up the B&W PM1? I know its twice price but is the price difference going to show in output of sound? So conflicted!
I don't think the B&W sounds any better than any of those speakers.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if you are going to up the budget that much, then I submit the Funk Audio 6.1 Monitor. Here is ACTG's opinion about them. Considering he owned (/still does) Revel Salon 2, Philharmonic Audio 3, Linkwitz Orion 3 towers and TAD 2201, Kef 201/2, ATC SCM7 bookshelf speaker, his high praise should tell you something about the FA 6.1 M.

Here is a quote from the post to whet your appetite,
I compared the 6.1P to the KEF 201/2, TAD 2201, ATC SCM7 in both 2.0 and 2.1 mode. I switched the 6.1P back and forth with the KEF 201/2 in my HT room and switched the 6.1P with the ATC SCM7 in the family room. I also compared the 6.1P to the Salon 2, B&W 802D2, Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, Focal 826V, and Dynaudio X32 in 2.1 mode using dual Funk 18.0 subs

Last edited:
S

sush15

Audiophyte
+3 to philharmonitor rec. They would provide more bass than you'd ever want for music. Not too shabby considering it would be in NYC appt, and I might know thing or two about it :)
Also in your price range few more great speakers:
Jim Salk's WOW1
Thanks for suggestion. I am happy to get separate woofer though for bass. From little ive read it seems its better to do so. I listen to a lot of classical, variety of jazz, vocals, some hip hop. So really looking for good range for highs and lows with clarity. I have handed down bose speakers that are apparently good, but I really dislike. There is something missing while listening to music, clarity in highs and lows missing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if you are going to up the budget that much, then I submit the Funk Audio 6.1 Monitor. Here is ACTG's opinion about them. Considering he owned (/still does) Revel Salon 2, Philharmonic Audio 3, Linkwitz Orion 3 towers and TAD 2201, Kef 201/2, ATC SCM7 bookshelf speaker, his high praise should tell you something about the FA 6.1 M.

Here is a quote from the post to whet your appetite,
Yeah, I would take the $2,650/pair Funk monitor over the B&W PM1 for sure.

Or my KEF Reference 201/2 for $3K (MSRP $6K). :D

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/708kef/index.html

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/kef_2012.htm

S

sush15

Audiophyte
Ok so just heard the BW pm1..not impressed. Surprisingly liked cm5 better.
But liked PMC DB1 a lot. Probably top of list so far. Not sure about focal aria 906. Second i think. Third is cm5.
Looking at towers now as well. BW CM9 which i like

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis