Need another vehicle

itschris

itschris

The depreciation factor really weighs heavy on me. I stopped on the way home tonight to check out a 2010 Rover with 23K miles. Sticker was in the glove box: $92K They seemed willing to agressively negotiate on the $70K stick on it now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of depreciation - Geländewagen ( G-Class) holds its value very nicely and hasn't been changed (much) in years ...

2010 G550 is estimated to cost in same ballpark as 2010 Rover

itschris

itschris

It IS a gimmick, but isn't really needed on a car like that. People who have that kind of cash can swap the hood for whatever they like and keep that one in the storage until the time comes to sell it.
I just can't see spending $113K on a Corvette. I know it's worth it, but that getting in used Ferrari territory which is my real objective in the next 5 or so years. Right now you can a really nice F430 for about $140K. I've been driving my Explorer now for 10 years. I just rolled 200K miles visiting my daughter up at UF.

On one hand, I feel almost awkward dealing with these 1st world problems of trying to figure out which car to spend more than cost of the house I grew up in, but despite our income, we don't really live outlandishly. We do a lot nice things like take vacations and stuff, but give up others... like driving expensive cars. All my friends at work give me **** about my Explorer, but I do love that thing. It owes me nothing. For as hard as we work though... how much we support and money we give to charity and sponsoring families... I'm okay with getting something a little bit higher end. The Audi was nice and filled that void, but now it's gone, so I'm missing being in a nice car without rattles, squeaks, and some vibration here and there.

I'll keep looking and thining about stuff, but wil probably just end up making a snap decision on the way home one day. I do have an appointment at the Caddy dealer on Friday. We'll see how that goes.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Get a Ferrari, you'll look awesome cruising Fred Howard Park!

itschris

itschris

Get a Ferrari, you'll look awesome cruising Fred Howard Park!
Yeah that's the place alright! I'll have 70 year Greek guys in thongs giving me the thumbs up.

If/when that time comes, I'm not sure if I'll be the guy who just stares at it in his garage, or the guys who tries to put 20,000 miles on it each year. The guy at the Ferrari dealership by my house had the greatest quote... "Not driving you Ferrari is like having the hottest chick as your girlfriend but not banging her so you can save her for the next guy."

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The depreciation factor really weighs heavy on me. I stopped on the way home tonight to check out a 2010 Rover with 23K miles. Sticker was in the glove box: $92K They seemed willing to agressively negotiate on the $70K stick on it now.
Go classic... Depreciation is already gone... Or you can get a new denali yukon hybrid, they are only $60K, plus you get good mpg... Or a gmc 3500 diesel loaded , my father just bought one with every option $60K..

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Go to that used car dealer on 19 near Tarpon Ave. He always has some cool cars there. Last time I went there he had an AMG Rentech Merc pushing almost 700 HP.

itschris

itschris

Go to that used car dealer on 19 near Tarpon Ave. He always has some cool cars there. Last time I went there he had an AMG Rentech Merc pushing almost 700 HP.
I'm right around the corner on Tarpon Ave. I was there not too long ago looking at a 360. They have nice stuff there and I've heard from a couple of people now that they're great to do business with. I drive past every night and check out what they have. I'll have to pull in this weekend.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Screw it. Go get an International Scout, lift it and and put some 36"'s on, and call it a day.

Matt34

Matt34

I just can't see spending $113K on a Corvette. I know it's worth it, but that getting in used Ferrari territory which is my real objective in the next 5 or so years. Right now you can a really nice F430 for about $140K. I've been driving my Explorer now for 10 years. I just rolled 200K miles visiting my daughter up at UF.

On one hand, I feel almost awkward dealing with these 1st world problems of trying to figure out which car to spend more than cost of the house I grew up in, but despite our income, we don't really live outlandishly. We do a lot nice things like take vacations and stuff, but give up others... like driving expensive cars. All my friends at work give me **** about my Explorer, but I do love that thing. It owes me nothing. For as hard as we work though... how much we support and money we give to charity and sponsoring families... I'm okay with getting something a little bit higher end. The Audi was nice and filled that void, but now it's gone, so I'm missing being in a nice car without rattles, squeaks, and some vibration here and there.

I'll keep looking and thining about stuff, but wil probably just end up making a snap decision on the way home one day. I do have an appointment at the Caddy dealer on Friday. We'll see how that goes.

CTS-V, and if after awhile it doesn't "do it" for you you can take a trip and visit Hennessey Performance and get something like the V700 upgrade package.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not stretched financially on getting a new ride, but I'm a financial analyst so numbers and reason play into my decision.
Maybe I could interest you in a 12 year old fofo approaching 200k miles.
You would never have to worry about depreciation. It has good rubber. :)

CTS-V, and if after awhile it doesn't "do it" for you you can take a trip and visit Hennessey Performance and get something like the V700 upgrade package.
A quick look at the spec's showed motorcycle fast times.
I didn't see a price tag though. That usually means something bad.

Chris, it sounds like you can afford to make yourself happy with this car thing so just go for it. Nothing says happiness like a Ferrari, a hooker and a bag of blow. :D

Matt34

Matt34

Maybe I could interest you in a 12 year old fofo approaching 200k miles.
You would never have to worry about depreciation. It has good rubber. :)

A quick look at the spec's showed motorcycle fast times.
I didn't see a price tag though. That usually means something bad.

Chris, it sounds like you can afford to make yourself happy with this car thing so just go for it. Nothing says happiness like a Ferrari, a hooker and a bag of blow. :D
Jay Leno had this packaged CTS-V on his Youtube show, I think it was around $27k for the V700 kit installed. Plus it comes with a 3 year warranty!:p

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well I guess the first thought is: what do you want out of a vehicle? A Z06 and a RangeRover have precious little in common.
I probably missed it in my coffee-induced haze, but I didn't see an answer to this one. Are you looking for comfort, speed, status, fuel economy (yeah, I know the answer to that last one :D)?

Before getting a super-nice car, perhaps consider how comfortable you'd be parking it where you are used to going now. Granted, I'm anal about my car which is nothing like what you're looking at, and I parked my 12-year-old Prelude out in the boonies to try and stay away from people in parking lots. If I had a Ferrari...oh, man. I don't know if you are worried about door dings like I am, but in case you are, it might be a consideration.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
If I had a Ferrari...oh, man. I don't know if you are worried about door dings like I am, but in case you are, it might be a consideration.
It's worth a little consideration I suppose, but presumably he's not going to be taking his Ferrari to pick up groceries or for a dine in trip at McDonald's.

Still, while a Ferrari would certainly catch a lot of looks, in today's climate, it's not too hard to imagine someone with a grudge against the 1% potentially keying a Ferrari as his/her way of sticking it to the man. In this regard, an Audi, even an expensive one, is a bit less conspicuous.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I know everyone thinks RangerRovers are junk, but Ive talked to several owners who have had zero problems and believe the issues are waaay over-hyped in the internet world.

Thoughts?
If I may offer my $0.02:)

Range Rover owners aren't going to be unbiased, I'd look elsewhere for more accurate info.
Most people's egos won't allow them to admit buying a lemon, especially after plopping down that kind of cash for anything.
Consumer Reports has an auto issue, with a 'Frequency of repair' and 'Used Cars to Buy and Avoid' sections, that I've found to be very reliable.

While Range Rover has gotten better in recent years...it's also because they couldn't get any worse.
My personal experiences with repairing a friend's, was that parts were very expensive. I offered to do repairs for him, since what the dealer wanted was obscene.

If you're simply looking for the status of driving one, and don't mind the very high repair costs....get what makes you happy.
I personally would avoid them... however, cars mean different things to different people.
Good Luck.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
"Not driving you Ferrari is like having the hottest chick as your girlfriend but not banging her so you can save her for the next guy."
A pretty good analogy...if the next guy is paying you for her. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Well, the ZR1 is "worth it" if you are just looking for something stupid fast :) On thing a buddy said about owning a Ferrari though, is they require a lot of expensive maintenance. "It is $500 for them to check your oil". :)

I think in the price range, I'd probably be looking at a Porsche over a Ferrari, just because I am not that flashy. Porsche are expensive to maintain also, but when you are looking at that price category, you can afford it :D

itschris

itschris

i want something nice, be it a sports car, sport sedan, or SUV. The thing that's difficult is that at the $50-$70 price range, there's a lot to choose from... all different kinds of cars and when you factor in the higher depreciation normally associated with even more expensive cars, you know have a whole other group of 1-3 year old cars that were significatly more expensive, now sitting in your target group.

The Ferrar is a ways off. Being in fnance, the one thing I understand all too well is that it's not what you can afford today... it's "what does it cost you tomorrow and ten years from now." I'm not talking financing costs, but by spending an extra $30K on a car, it's obviously going to impact you long term. So twenty years from now, what would the difference be if I bought say a regular CTS for $38 or a decked out CTS-V for $65? Those are the real things to think about. You have to make a considerable amount of money to make issues like that irrelevant.

Also, there's such a disparity on value. I mean I love Audi. I love our A6. In looking at the A5 they range nicely equipped from $40 up to $75. I'd never pay for the RS5. There's just nothing special enough about it and it looks just like a normal A5 to most people.

I don't know... while we're fortunate to be able to buy a new car, we certainly don't make enough money for it not to be a big decision. I was sitting in traffic this morning on the bridge and next to me was a new Explorer. For $40k you can get a really nice one. Maybe go practical... or more so now... and splurge a little further down the road.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis