Need Advice, new HT 15k budget

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are they that bad? Would I be better off with one funk audio sub vs 2 polk audio subs? I could stretch the budget a little bit, I just thought two cheaper subs would have similar effectivness to one decent sub. The 18.0c funk audio sub would be plausible. I spent about 800 total on the two subs.
Half a Funk sub would be better! :eek: :D

But seriously, just get one Funk 18.0 TSADv1 UNPOWERED for now. Get a $300 Crown XLS1500 amp (1550 watts bridged mono 4 ohms) to power it.

Then later when budget permits, get another Funk 18.0 sub.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Half a Funk sub would be better! :eek: :D

But seriously, just get one Funk 18.0 TSADv1 UNPOWERED for now. Get a $300 Crown XLS1500 amp to power it.
I would get one with the amp built in so he doesn't have to deal with using an external trigger and EQ. I've been down that road and at the end of the day, it's just easier to get a self-contained system and lose 2% of the performance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get one with the amp built in so he doesn't have to deal with using an external trigger and EQ. I've been down that road and at the end of the day, it's just easier to get a self-contained system and lose 2% of the performance.
Well, the powered version of the 18.0 is about $1200 more expensive.

The unpowered 18.0 + $300 Crown amp is still $900 cheaper.

Plus, you can never tell about electronics. If you are unlucky and the internal sub amp malfunctions down the road, it's more troublesome to replace it. But you can use just about any amp with unpowered subs. The Onkyo AVR already has Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ.

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I would tend to lean towards this option for simplicities sake. Well, I've got some good ideas here, I'll give Funk a call and see what the story is. From the sounds of it, regardless of which of their subs I pick, it will be a vast improvement over Polk.

I mentioned this earlier, but I am concerned about power draw. A projector, receiver, sub, consoles etc, will that overload one 15A circuit?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
He could do what I did, get 2 Ultra's and then sell one because 1 was just fine...
I really like the Ultras plus you know SVS is gonna stick around. That Piano black finish is legendary. I doubt he needs more than one sub.

I use an external amp because I only use the sub when I really want a lot of bass.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, I would tend to lean towards this option for simplicities sake. Well, I've got some good ideas here, I'll give Funk a call and see what the story is. From the sounds of it, regardless of which of their subs I pick, it will be a vast improvement over Polk.

I mentioned this earlier, but I am concerned about power draw. A projector, receiver, sub, consoles etc, will that overload one 15A circuit?
I have 3 amps, AVR, a sub, Plasma TV, cable box and PS3 on a 15a circuit and never had an issue.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The max power from a 15A is less than 1800 watts total (since these components are not 100% efficient).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have my setup on one circuit with the exception of the projector. Make sure you get a UPS for your projector. I'm sure you knew that already.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I really like the Ultras plus you know SVS is gonna stick around. That Piano black finish is legendary. I doubt he needs more than one sub.

There is a lot of peace of mind that comes with purchasing from SVS. There is no better CS, great product and the CEO will even return you call or email on a weekend evening. I have had a whole bunch of subs and the SVS is the only one that has stayed in my room for over a year.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There is a lot of peace of mind that comes with purchasing from SVS. There is no better CS, great product and the CEO will even return you call or email on a weekend evening. I have had a whole bunch of subs and the SVS is the only one that has stayed in my room for over a year.
If I bought speakers and subs they'd all be SVS stuff probably. I love TC drivers, but that Ultra has plenty of SPL for most folks.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the powered version of the 18.0 is about $1200 more expensive.

The unpowered 18.0 + $300 Crown amp is still $900 cheaper.

Plus, you can never tell about electronics. If you are unlucky and the internal sub amp malfunctions down the road, it's more troublesome to replace it. But you can use just about any amp with unpowered subs. The Onkyo AVR already has Audyssey XT32 Sub EQ.
How do you turn on the sub without having to manually do it?

What prevents you from over-driving the sub?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Overdriving a TC Driver is very hard to do. I just flip a switch which is not a big deal to me, but I understand it being so to some folks. My amp is right behind my couch so that probably helps. But replacing a plate amp isn't all that hard normally.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If I bought speakers and subs they'd all be SVS stuff probably. I love TC drivers, but that Ultra has plenty of SPL for most folks.
Yep, I loved this driver and sub:

This one was good:

This was likely the most expensive and worst:

And this one stayed:

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
I have 3 amps, AVR, a sub, Plasma TV, cable box and PS3 on a 15a circuit and never had an issue.
OK perfect
Well, Funk recommended the 18.1 sub, says it's their best well rounded sub. 6-8 weeks wait though : ( I get my new speakers next week.
I was hoping to have everything for my first movie but I guess I can steal my KEF 2000 sub for now until the new one can arrive.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
OK perfect
Well, Funk recommended the 18.1 sub, says it's their best well rounded sub. 6-8 weeks wait though : ( I get my new speakers next week.
I was hoping to have everything for my first movie but I guess I can steal my KEF 2000 sub for now until the new one can arrive.
You could probably go pick up an Ultra today...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
OK perfect
I think the KEF 2000 sub may be better than the Polk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

You can use a Smart Power Strip from Amazon that turns off the Amp (and everything hooked to the strip) about 5 seconds After the AVR is turned off.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358268142&sr=8-1&keywords=Smart+strip

The Crown amps have Limiters just like internal sub amps. In fact some other Crown amps have very sophisticated EQ, Limiters, etc.

For example, the $400 1400watts XTI1000 amp has "Integrated Speaker Management System includes crossovers, EQ, delay, limiting, subharmonic synth, and pink noise generator". If I were to use EQ, I would rather use Audyssey XT32 EQ for the subs.

I believe many sub amps are variations of these pro amps. The big difference is one is internal, one is external, and the price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis