N

newfmp3

Audioholic
I'm getting a price locally on a nad 773. Can someone give me a ballpark price as to what these 773's go for in Canada so I know I am not getting screwed?

Not asking for dealers or anything that goes against site rules, just an idea as to what is too much.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
call some more local dealers. If you're in the GTA then go to Whitbyaudiovideo.com, get their # and give them a call, they're authorized. The US msrp was $1800 , making that about $2250 Cad for an MSRP. Remember, NAD is a Canadian company so we don't get screwed too badly with a different profit margin. I'd say you'd be looking at about $2k before taxes barring some kind of open box deal once you're done haggling.

Edit: I'm not plugging Whitby Audio Video, only telling you that they're authorized NAD dealers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I always thought NAD was a British company. Are you sure it is Canadian?

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
Headoffice is Pickering, Ontario. I picked up a new NAD T773 in a trade that turned out too have a hum/hiss problem. After some contact with NAD, I took it too the headoffice where they were nice enough to trade my unit for a NIB unit with the DPL IIx upgrade. A1 customer service. For $2kCDN your getting yourself a topnotch receiver. I believe the only receiver with dual toroidal transformers.

ht_addict

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So they are probably designed in the U.K., made in the far East (just guessing), shipped back to the U.K., then to the destination country such as the U.S. and Canada. Plus the fact that they are mass produced, but sell no where near the volume of Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer, no wonder they cost so much more.

Of course they most likely put in more expensive components too, such as huge toroidal transformers as others have mentioned. No doubt the T773 is a powerful receiver. I am wondering if a 3805 or 2500, or (635 if you are not in Canada) plus a 2/3 ch power amp is not a viable alternative. Some British magazine reviews don't seem to rate their NAD and Arcam any higher than Denon and Yamaha's 3805, 1500,25000 etc. They rate them all very high but at least one review put the 3805/3910 over the Arcam 300 (can't remember the DVD player model no) combo. It also rated a Yamaha combo over the NAD. Sorry about getting off the topic, just want to share some information I read about these units recently.

J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
porksoda said:
nad is NOT canadian.. its a birtish company....

lenbrook solely is the importer and auth reseller supplier.

Oh really, with just a couple of mouse clicks on the link I provided I found this:

The Lenbrook Group of Companies is a privately owned Canadian corporation headquartered in Pickering, Ontario. Formed in 1978, it started as a national distributor of electronic components, audio and two-way radio products. Since then, the company diversified further, launched a vertical integration strategy and increased its core competencies. Now a mid-sized company, Lenbrook delivers a sustained sales revenue growth and a growing portfolio of assets, a result of the company's successful and increasing involvement in technology and specialty brand development activities.

The Lenbrook Group owns three specialty brands. All three are part of the specialty home entertainment and home automation systems "niche" within the consumer electronics industry. These brands, PSB Loudspeakers, NAD Electronics and Aegis Home Management Solutions are synergistic in position, product development and routes to market. They are developed and marketed by Lenbrook on a world-wide basis.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
JohnnyCasaba said:
Oh really, with just a couple of mouse clicks on the link I provided I found this:

The Lenbrook Group of Companies is a privately owned Canadian corporation headquartered in Pickering, Ontario. Formed in 1978, it started as a national distributor of electronic components, audio and two-way radio products. Since then, the company diversified further, launched a vertical integration strategy and increased its core competencies. Now a mid-sized company, Lenbrook delivers a sustained sales revenue growth and a growing portfolio of assets, a result of the company's successful and increasing involvement in technology and specialty brand development activities.

The Lenbrook Group owns three specialty brands. All three are part of the specialty home entertainment and home automation systems "niche" within the consumer electronics industry. These brands, PSB Loudspeakers, NAD Electronics and Aegis Home Management Solutions are synergistic in position, product development and routes to market. They are developed and marketed by Lenbrook on a world-wide basis.
Based on this logic - Volvo, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, Mazda and Land Rover are now all U.S. companies. Afterall, they ARE owned by Ford Motor Company.

J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
Craig, I was only talking about NAD. You know what it says on the back of my NAD T752, NAD Electronics International, Pickering, Ontario, manufactured in the Peoples Republic of China. I could not find any info on where the NAD products are designed, all NAD says is they have "design and engineering cells located all around the world". So I would say NAD is a Canadian company, with a British heritage, that builds its products in the PRC. If I am wrong, feel free to provide some facts to correct me. I'll have no problem admitting I made a mistake.

BTW, Ford holds a controlling interest (33.4%) in Mazda.

Last edited:
C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
JohnnyCasaba said:
Craig, I was only talking about NAD. You know what it says on the back of my NAD T752, NAD Electronics International, Pickering, Ontario, manufactured in the Peoples Republic of China. I could not find any info on where the NAD products are designed, all NAD says is they have "design and engineering cells located all around the world". So I would say NAD is a Canadian company, with a British heritage, that builds its products in the PRC. If I am wrong, feel free to provide some facts to correct me. I'll have no problem admitting I made a mistake.

BTW, Ford holds a controlling interest (33.4%) in Mazda.
Casaba - First, it is clear you know nothing about ownership of a business. "Controlling Interest" means you control the company. It means you set policy. Contact the Chamber of Commerce, and they will tell you Mazda is a Japanese company, and that Jaguar is British. Aston Martin is also still British.

As for NAD - They have been making their equipment in the Far East for over 20 years, LONG before Lenbrook was involved. My first experience with NAD was with the 3020 in 1980. I have owned over 30 NAD pieces over the years. If you want to discuss anything regarding their history, drop me a line.

A Canadian company purchased NAD. www.nad.co.uk will take you to the NAD home page. The "uk" part is United Kingdom. Otherwise it would be .ca on the end. In case that was hard for you - the .ca is for Canada, eh ?

As for your assertion that "admitting you made a mistake" is in your vocabulary: Sure it is.

Last edited:
J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
Craig,

It is you who used the incorrect term. You said Ford owns Mazda, they do not own Mazda. They own a controlling interest in Mazda of roughly 33%. As for that website, try this address http://www.nadelectronics.com/. Takes you to the same site.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
JohnnyCasaba said:
Craig,

It is you who used the incorrect term. You said Ford owns Mazda, they do not own Mazda. They own a controlling interest in Mazda of roughly 33%. As for that website, try this address http://www.nadelectronics.com/. Takes you to the same site.
Johnny, I also own a controlling interest in a Ford dealership. Mazda gets nothing done without the approval of Ford's Board of Directors. www.ford.com

You will find Mazda there. I know this is tough for you, but being purchased by a company outside the original company's founding nation does not change the nationality of the product. If it did, Chrysler would be German, as would Dodge and Jeep. Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Mazda would be American.

Edited to keep from hurting anyone's feelings. :)

Last edited:
J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
craigsub said:
Little Johnny, I also own a controlling interest in a Ford dealership. Mazda gets nothing done without the approval of Ford's Board of Directors. www.ford.com

You will find Mazda there.

Craig, I am well aware what it means, remember, I used the term to correctly to correct you saying Ford owns Mazda.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
JohnnyCasaba said:
Craig, I am well aware what it means, remember, I used the term to correctly to correct you saying Ford owns Mazda.
Ford DOES own Mazda. Look on Ford's website. Mazda is there. If you search for Mazda, The headline is "Official site of the Ford Motor Company Division"

J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
That is MNAO, that may be owned by Ford, I was talking about Mazda Motor Corp. See this link: http://www.hoovers.com/mazda-north-american-operations/--ID__43896--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) controls the US research and development, sales and marketing, and customer parts and service operations of Japan-based Mazda Motor Corporation. MNAO sells or leases its line of cars, trucks, minivans, and SUVs through about 700 dealerships in the US. Formed to strengthen its parent company's hold on the US car market, MNAO is the combination of Mazda Motor of America, Mazda (North America), Mazda Research and Development of North America, and Mazda Systems Services of North America. A separate company, Mazda Canada, distributes Mazdas in that country. Ford owns a controlling 33% of MNAO parent Mazda Motor Corporation.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
JohnnyCasaba said:
That is MNAO, that may be owned by Ford, I was talking about Mazda Motor Corp. See this link: http://www.hoovers.com/mazda-north-american-operations/--ID__43896--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) controls the US research and development, sales and marketing, and customer parts and service operations of Japan-based Mazda Motor Corporation. MNAO sells or leases its line of cars, trucks, minivans, and SUVs through about 700 dealerships in the US. Formed to strengthen its parent company's hold on the US car market, MNAO is the combination of Mazda Motor of America, Mazda (North America), Mazda Research and Development of North America, and Mazda Systems Services of North America. A separate company, Mazda Canada, distributes Mazdas in that country. Ford owns a controlling 33% of MNAO parent Mazda Motor Corporation.
Got it. Since you are trying SO hard here. Can you identify what Mazda can do without Ford's approval ?

J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
To my knowledge, nothing, they have a controlling interest. That is why they have many joint ventures. I am not trying hard Craig, Ford does not own Mazda.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
JohnnyCasaba said:
To my knowledge, nothing, they have a controlling interest. That is why they have many joint ventures. I am not trying hard Craig, Ford does not own Mazda.
Ok. I guess Johnny knows more than Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, and Automotive News. Impressive. And Johnny, in the real world "controlling interest" means ownership.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis