My Review of the OSD Nero XA5180 5 channel Power Amplifier

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So a couple months ago I wanted a nice little power amp to run my 3 JBL 698's towers full range in the bedroom. I wanted something affordable that wouldn't break the bank and I didn't want the usual. I stumbled on this which at the time was on sale for 600 bucks I thought it was worth a shot. Been testing it out for 2 months. Did it live up to my needs? Let's find out.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Features:
Features

High power 5-channel amplifier for audiophile-level home theater systems
Includes 5 individual amplifiers in a single chassis with ample internal capacitance per channel
Provides 150W per channel (8 Ohms), 250W per channel (4 ohms)
Custom-designed high current power supply driven by a .9 KVA toroidal transformer
Advanced Class H amplifier typology for exceptionally accurate music and movie soundtracks
Custom-designed heatsinks achieve full power without the need for distracting fans
Gold and gun-metal plated connectors for superior signal transfer
Includes both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced inputs (RCA)
Signal auto-sensing detects a signal and powers up or down when a signal is not detected
Front-panel status indicators

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Specifications:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Amplifier Type: Multi Channel/Zone Amplifier
Amplifier Class: Class H
Channels/Zones: 3 Channels
Impedance: 8 Ohm and 4 Ohm Stable
Power Output @ 8ohm @ 1%THD: 150W RMS
Frequency Response: 7.5Hz to 80kHz +/-0.5dB
Transformer Type: .9 KVA toroidal
Inputs: XLR / RCA
Outputs: 4 per channel
Capacitors, number & size: 6800uf&12pcs
Air-cooled or Fan-cooled: Air Cooled
Remote Control: No
12 Volt Triggers: Yes
Auto-On Sensing: Yes
Sub-Out: No
Power Supply: 115V or 230V multi-voltage selector switch
Rack Mountable: No
Dimensions (L x D x H): 17" x 16.75" x 6"
Weight: 47 lbs
Rating: ETL

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
XA5180
OUTPUT POWER (RMS) (UNIT:W) @1% THD (SINGLE CHANNEL) 4 Ohms 320 320 320 320 320
OUTPUT POWER (RMS) (UNIT:W) ,@5% THD (SINGLE CHANNEL) 4 Ohms 410 410 410 410 410
OUTPUT POWER (RMS) (UNIT:W) @1% THD (SINGLE CHANNEL) 8 Ohms 190 190 190 190 190
ALL CHANNEL OUTPUT POWER (RMS) (UNIT:W) @0.1% THD 8 Ohms 135 135 135 135 135
ALL CHANNEL OUTPUT POWER (RMS) (UNIT:W) @1% THD 8 Ohms 150 150 150 150 150
THD @1W (UNIT:%) (SINGLE CHANNEL) 8 Ohms 0.02% 0.02% 0.02% 0.02% 0.02%
THD @RATED POWER (UNIT:%) (SINGLE CHANNEL) 130W 8 Ohms 0.025% 0.025% 0.025% 0.025% 0.025%
THD @1W (UNIT:%) (SINGLE CHANNEL) 4 Ohms 0.05% 0.05% 0.05% 0.05% 0.05%
THD @RATED POWER (UNIT:%) (SINGLE CHANNEL) @250W 4 Ohms 0.03% 0.03% 0.03% 0.03% 0.03%
FREQUENCY RESPONSE @-3dB - Hz
1W 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K
Rated power 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K 7.5HZ-80K
SIGNAL TO NOISE (A weighted) (UNIT:dB) Stereo mode,
@1K/100Hz @1% THD, XLR input 8 Ohms 104 104 104 104 104
DAMPING FACTOR rated power 1 KHz 150 150 150 150 150
IDLE CURRENT - Amps 0.15
MAX.CURRENT @all CH. At rated power - Amps 10.7
EFFICIENCY OF AMPLIFIER - % 72%

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So with a RMS rating at 135 watts in 8ohms at 0.1% all channels driven should be more then sufficient for almost any speaker in a moderate room size

Packaging was very well done well packed shipping was prompt and on time

Aesthetics for the price this is a real good looking amplifier well built. I could do without the sensor lights but some will like those there doesn't seem to be any way to turn them off that I could find be aware it that when your putting this in a dark treated room

Build quality for sturdy has a nice power supply Heavy and not because of metal chassis the internals and weight tell you this may be able to deliver its rated power supply

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Features sensor lights on the front have a switch that can be used for 3 settings.

Setting 1 always on blue lights
Setting 2 stand by in yellow until you receive a signal. Then each channel receiving signal turns blue
Setting 3 off in standby with yellow lights on
Has a power button on the front left to turn the amplifier completely off. Unless a trigger out is seny from receiver then unit turns in and turns off when receiver does

Has very nice RCA input jacks attached very firmly to the chassis and a surprise for this price range XLR inputs. They of course aren't fully balanced but still it's a nice touch for preamps and for noise reduction

Has inputs for trigger outs from receivers or processors

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ease of use

Amps are fairly standard in use this one was no different. Once you've plugged in your choice of RCA or XLR's to your processor and your speaker wire to the amp from speakers away you go.

I found that the switch thing became somewhat annoying it's meant to add appeal but for me added some headaches

The switch to accept input was always very laggy when receiving input and I found myself either leaving it in always on or my favorite which was always off unless triggered on by receiver.

I feel like just not having the lights and just a simple dimmable power button with a trigger option would have sufficed and probably cost less to produce

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Performance this amp does what any good amp does. It drives speakers within it's limits with plenty of power and it does so without coloring the sound bass mids and highs were all colorless by the amp and neutral to the source.

Ive enjoyed this amp especially for its price since I've been using it.

I would have given this a 5 out of 5 except for the issue with the lights and switch for it being a little bit tedious

And a quality control issue. One of my lights the blue light for one channel stopped working within the first 2 days of use. The channel works fine and I saw no need to repackage it and wait for another one due to that small of an issue.

But the seller was willing to accept a return and offered me a discount of over $50 for the light. They were polite and quickly responsive and I appreciated they're concern for me the customer and the discount so it all worked out.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So overall I give the OSD Nero XA5180 a 4 out of 5 stars and have no problems recommending it
I plan on keeping mine

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Did you buy this used for $600 or was the buyer you purchased from a retailer/dealer?

How would you compare this to some of the other separate AMPS you have had? Particularly standard A/B amps vs the Class H.

I had 2 older Audiocontrol Pantages AMPS which are also Class H (5x200). They are very similar to these I think. I really wonder if MFG by the same. I still prefer my ATI built Monolith and Outlaw AMPs to them but they are certainly functional. Much older than your OSD however.

I think this one is known to be very similar to the Outlaw 5000 but not sure if that's correct or not

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Did you buy this used for $600 or was the buyer you purchased from a retailer/dealer?

How would you compare this to some of the other separate AMPS you have had? Particularly standard A/B amps vs the Class H.

I had 2 older Audiocontrol Pantages AMPS which are also Class H (5x200). They are very similar to these I think. I really wonder if MFG by the same. I still prefer my ATI built Monolith and Outlaw AMPs to them but they are certainly functional. Much older than your OSD however.

I think this one is known to be very similar to the Outlaw 5000 but not sure if that's correct or not
It was on sale from the retailer Outdoor Speaker Depot in eBay they're eBay store so a retailer

Honestly it sounded great compared to other amplifiers I've owned. I've never heard major difference in good amplifiers I've owned over the years I bet you in a double blind listening test I couldn't tell you the difference between the crown xls I've owned to my anthem and outlaw amplifiers. Which is good any amplifier should be colorless when not pushed to it's limits if it's a good amp

I do prefery my more expensive amps but only because they have more power so I can use them in bigger rooms

Congratulations on the ATI amps. Those are end game amplifiers right there

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I do remember somewhere in some forum or thread when I was researching this amp someone saying this was a similar build to the 5000 by the same company

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
It was on sale from the retailer Outdoor Speaker Depot in eBay they're eBay store so a retailer

Honestly it sounded great compared to other amplifiers I've owned. I've never heard major difference in good amplifiers I've owned over the years I bet you in a double blind listening test I couldn't tell you the difference between the crown xls I've owned to my anthem and outlaw amplifiers. Which is good any amplifier should be colorless when not pushed to it's limits if it's a good amp

I do prefery my more expensive amps but only because they have more power so I can use them in bigger rooms

Congratulations on the ATI amps. Those are end game amplifiers right there
Thanks, I really do like the ATI built Monolith I have and the Outlaw I have as well. I actually think the Outlaw is the superior AMP mainly as the gain is stronger but both are great and you probably are right in them being end game for me. I just don't know what a more expensive AMP would give me. I'm open to it given the right deal but I just don't know. Fortunately for me the size of these isn't an issue so I don't know that class D offers me anything of upside

But again glad you shared on the OSD AMP. Will be interesting to see you continue to listen and compare.

L

LesterMitchel

Audiophyte

Thank you for the review, I will keep those things in my mind. I want to buy OSD Nero XA5180 5 channel Power Amplifier but before that I want to make sure it is worth buying. When I was searching for it online, I also found https://fitmymoney.com/credit-repair/ website and I took interest in that website because I remember my friend is looking for it.
Thank you for the review, I will keep those things in my mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis