My quest for stereo loudspeakers under $3,000

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Have you ever looked into Monitor Audio RX8's? Just might be what you are looking for. They are really nice. What is your crossover settings on your verus grands? You should put them around 80 hz,that's what I did when I had them and the boominess is gone. I know the exact sound your talking about. That's Why I like the logan's with a sub,without they are very good also. But the RX8's,I had those too and they are great.
I heard the RX8s at a dealer, and for their price they are excellent. Fabulous soundstage and imaging.

P

perpetualglass

Audioholic Intern
Also, can you give a specific example of a song or track that demonstrated the poor midrange on the Ultra Towers? Thanks

Anything with vocals, or actual (non synthetic) instrumentation. A specific track is not necessary. I think the MAIN issue here is that I never really cranked them, nor could I evaluate them if I did. I DO NOT LISTEN LOUD.

Usually, when I go to demo speakers, I end up turning the levels to about 40% of what most sales people adjust the volume to. Unfortunately, the problem existed in the top end, since I did disconnect the bi-wire connector thingies and hook up the top end only, to make sure it was not an issue of the crossovers eating electricity.

Last edited:
P

perpetualglass

Audioholic Intern
On to the NHT Four:

These may be best described as perhaps the most flat and sterile speaker that I've heard, I have no way to prove this without measuring equipment of course. My main criticisms is that they sound like bookshelves with subwoofers attached, which is coincidentally, what they are. They really just sound "too small" for me to consider keeping.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like you need to find a used pair of Linkwitz Orion speakers. These are true bipole speakers (even the bass is bipolar) with equivocally the largest soundstage you will ever hear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think bipolar/ dipole speakers may give you the "biggest" soundstage.

So Orion, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Def Tech BP, GoldenEar BP, and others.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
That's why I picked martin logans :) Since when does golden ear have bipolar speakers?

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Anything with vocals, or actual (non synthetic) instrumentation. A specific track is not necessary. I think the MAIN issue here is that I never really cranked them, nor could I evaluate them if I did. I DO NOT LISTEN LOUD.

Usually, when I go to demo speakers, I end up turning the levels to about 40% of what most sales people adjust the volume to. Unfortunately, the problem existed in the top end, since I did disconnect the bi-wire connector thingies and hook up the top end only, to make sure it was not an issue of the crossovers eating electricity.
I only partially agree with you here. I did hear some coloration on acoustic instruments, but vocals, especially male, have sounded excellent, both to my ears and everyone else that has listened. I will agree with you that low volume listening is probably not where the Ultras shine. They like to rock and shake the room. A recent GTG over on AVS includes the Ultras and some people disliked the tweeters at extreme volumes, but I have either not noticed that, or my definition of loud is not as loud as they were cranking it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow.. I've never read so much drival in trying to pick out a loudspeaker. This looks like a thread that will continue on into perpetuity, :rolleyes: much like a Seinfeld episode that goes on about nothing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's why I picked martin logans :) Since when does golden ear have bipolar speakers?
Oops, my bad, I forgot the GE are NOT bipolar like the DefTech BP. :eek:

They have built-in subs like the DefTech BP, but they are more like the non-bipolar DefTech Mythos. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Wow.. I've never read so much drival in trying to pick out a loudspeaker. This looks like a thread that will continue on into perpetuity, :rolleyes: much like a Seinfeld episode that goes on about nothing.
And before long it will be like "War and Peace". I say buy something that a person can trial in their home and if the speakers don't sound just right, send them back. One persons taste in a speaker will not be the same in your room. Try before you buy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow.. I've never read so much drival in trying to pick out a loudspeaker. This looks like a thread that will continue on into perpetuity, much like a Seinfeld episode that goes on about nothing.
And before long it will be like "War and Peace".

Oh, now, now, gents, to be totally fair, I don't think he's the only one with a "journey to find the perfect speaker" memoir. :D

Can I please, please do a retrospective memoir of my arduous journey to find my perfect speaker? :D

........... I saw them on Amazon and I just bought them. :eek: :D

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, now, now, gents, to be totally fair, I don't think he's the only one with a "journey to find the perfect speaker" memoir. :D

Can I please, please do a retrospective memoir of my arduous journey to find my perfect speaker? :D

........... I saw them on Amazon and I just bought them. :eek: :D
LOL Judging by your list, its been trail and error for you and I'm betting dollars to dounuts, that list is goinmg to expand before this year is out. :p And the beauty about your purchases is is none of your purchases were predisposed with reams and reams of ramble. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL Judging by your list, its been trail and error for you and I'm betting dollars to dounuts, that list is goinmg to expand before this year is out. :p And the beauty about your purchases is is none of your purchases were predisposed with reams and reams of ramble. :)
A Felicitous Perpetual Ream of Loudspeaker Collection by ADTG..... :eek: :D

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
There are tons of guys who go thru the same exact deal when looking for speakers. Its can be very difficult to decide,I've been there done that myself. My friends/family were ready to commit me.. Or you could do what Acudeftechguy did,just buy them all :p Seriously,this is the sort of thing that can literally drive you crazy. About the time you guy and settle on what you like,you read the forums and tell everyone what you purchased and it never fails..Some jack nut brings up how they measure like crap,next thing you know they are in your truck going back to the store.. You really can't make it up..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
About the time you buy and settle on what you like,you read the forums and tell everyone what you purchased and it never fails..Some jack nut brings up how they measure like crap,next thing you know they are in your truck going back to the store.. You really can't make it up..
Why do you think I sold my Def Tech BP7000SC, BP7001SC, CLR3000, & TRINITY ? :D

Those spec-whores on forums, that's why! :D

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
Going by your sig Acudef,you like to go off the beaten path for your speakers. You would have not been happy with those for very long I'm guessing..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Going by your sig Acudef,you like to go off the beaten path for your speakers. You would have not been happy with those for very long I'm guessing..
Happy with what?

My current speakers?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis