My plasma above the fireplace melted!!

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
looks like that can be rigged up to look ok. grind the plastic flat. get some plastic sheet from hobby lobby, cut/form it, paint it, stick it on.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
suckss mann...but good to know you can laugh about it!

id look into to some vinyl wrap, they have all kinds for cars check decalfx.com
..sand down the edges and add a black strip across the bottom edge

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Or glue on a piece of well finish metal that looks like a control door plate or some other control...

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
Or glue on a piece of well finish metal that looks like a control door plate or some other control...
sure, lots of ways to mask it. if there is a lot of wood in the room, some matching wood pieces could look very nice.

i was just offering an inexpensive and relatively easy alternative.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How about you just relight a candle and melt away the rest of the bottom trim so that you get that 'dripping plasma' look which is all the rage these days?

A

abjonesiii

Audioholic
I'm just glad to see that this kind of crap happens to other people and not just me :rolleyes:

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Dave I'm about to mount my brand new Plasma above the fireplace.

Lucky for me it's in the basement (my new mancave) where candles/doily's/"cute" items are not permitted and will be shot/destroyed on sight.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Hey Dave I'm about to mount my brand new Plasma above the fireplace.

Lucky for me it's in the basement (my new mancave) where candles/doily's/"cute" items are not permitted and will be shot/destroyed on sight.
Ahhhhh, yes. I once thought as you. And then I met Edie. And all bets are off. Smiles. My rig is kind of dormant, at the moment. Small monitors, a mid level receiver. And a melted plasma.....grins.

It's all good and I am happy today. I'm attaching a picture to show how happy Edie makes me. My rig has the power to make me feel good, but it is a distant second to her.............

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice of ya to post a pic of a happy couple. :)
I think I'm gonna go smack my girl on the behind just to let her know that I'm still in love. :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Ahhhhh, yes. I once thought as you. And then I met Edie. And all bets are off. Smiles. My rig is kind of dormant, at the moment. Small monitors, a mid level receiver. And a melted plasma.....grins.

It's all good and I am happy today. I'm attaching a picture to show how happy Edie makes me. My rig has the power to make me feel good, but it is a distant second to her.............

Hey, look, she's smiling too! Good Job!!!:D

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Well, after much hand wringing and deliberation, I mounted my plasma above the fireplace in my new home where I recently moved in with my fiance'.
We did watching tests to check the height. Fine so far.
I did temperature tests to make sure it wasn't too hot. Fine.
I designed a mantle and over mantle to surround the fireplace and tv. Fine.
Hand selected the cherry lumber and had it sent to kiln to dry. Check.
Installed a temporary mantle shelf for Christmas to hang stockings. Good.

We had a couple over for dinner last Saturday night. After dinner we adjourned to the living room for drinks, conversation, and some music. Everyone oohed and aahed over the set up- the streaming, the blu ray, the music server, the excellent sound of the Quad Active Monitors. I was beaming with pride. So the guy, Bob, tells Edie my fiance' how nice all the candles she has burning around the room smell. I agree, and glance from candle to candle.........and then looking up at my Plasma, I say, "YEAH, AND THOSE TWO CANDLES THAT ARE MELTING MY PLASMA LOOK GREAT, TOO!!!!!!" I hadn't noticed, but Edie had placed two large candles on each end of the mantle shelf.......the tops of said candles were about 2-3" below the very bottom of the tv. Once the candles got going the flame just melted a hole up the bottom of the tv.The tv works fine, it just has two big melt spots in the bottom plastic piece. Arrrrghhh. Edie felt terrible, but all I could do was laugh- it's just a big piece of plastic and electronics, right. Smiles.
LMAO (kind of).
Good you could laugh; for a few moments I'd be really mad. Life's too short though - enjoy the "still working" TV

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Leave it as is, makes for a great story! No harm done.

L

lesser evil

Enthusiast
a 2 year old had her way with our plasma

As an early adopter, I paid $5K for our plasma in 2004.

Within the first year, our 2 year old daughter took a crayon to the front glass and scraping off some of the anti-glare coating in a childish scribble pattern.

She performed a similar experiment with markers on the white speaker grille cloth of my DIY baltic birch / Cabasse kit speakers.

To this day the scribble pattern is evident in most lighting conditions when the display is turned off but it looks fine when the plasma is turned on. I only recently re-skinned the speaker grilles.

Good thing our kids are adorable...

B

BBF

Enthusiast
Cool story... almost got *all* the heat factors taken into account...

I've never understood the women and "candles" thing... so many house fires caused by candles.

But then again, *understanding* women is not important, because it's impossible. They put up with my quirks, I'll just have to put up with theirs. ;)

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
Cool story... almost got *all* the heat factors taken into account...

I've never understood the women and "candles" thing... so many house fires caused by candles.

But then again, *understanding* women is not important, because it's impossible. They put up with my quirks, I'll just have to put up with theirs. ;)
I do believe that's the key to marriage

M

mgwalter828

Enthusiast
Post a Burn Ban Notice sign up near the TV. A tastefully done neon in colors to match the room would be a nice touch ! Our women mean well, but dont always have their thinking cap on ! Hate to hear of your misfortune. Upgrade time !

S

SharkyRivethead

Audiophyte
Guess I should take mine out from in front of the fireplace...lol. J/K...well, no, I'm not. That's where it's placed. But we never use the gas fireplace. The screen (50") fits perfectly so that it looks like the mantel and surrounding area frames the screen. I did not want to place the screen to high for fear of fatigue.

H

hospitalityjoe

Enthusiast
Oh Man!

Well, after much hand wringing and deliberation, I mounted my plasma above the fireplace in my new home where I recently moved in with my fiance'.
We did watching tests to check the height. Fine so far.
I did temperature tests to make sure it wasn't too hot. Fine.
I designed a mantle and over mantle to surround the fireplace and tv. Fine.
Hand selected the cherry lumber and had it sent to kiln to dry. Check.
Installed a temporary mantle shelf for Christmas to hang stockings. Good.

We had a couple over for dinner last Saturday night. After dinner we adjourned to the living room for drinks, conversation, and some music. Everyone oohed and aahed over the set up- the streaming, the blu ray, the music server, the excellent sound of the Quad Active Monitors. I was beaming with pride. So the guy, Bob, tells Edie my fiance' how nice all the candles she has burning around the room smell. I agree, and glance from candle to candle.........and then looking up at my Plasma, I say, "YEAH, AND THOSE TWO CANDLES THAT ARE MELTING MY PLASMA LOOK GREAT, TOO!!!!!!" I hadn't noticed, but Edie had placed two large candles on each end of the mantle shelf.......the tops of said candles were about 2-3" below the very bottom of the tv. Once the candles got going the flame just melted a hole up the bottom of the tv.The tv works fine, it just has two big melt spots in the bottom plastic piece. Arrrrghhh. Edie felt terrible, but all I could do was laugh- it's just a big piece of plastic and electronics, right. Smiles.
What a story you shared. Too much. One back at ya!
I had a wonderful seperates system by CounterPoint hooked up to some new Definitive and my now ex slipped on a kids toy and whooosh her hot beverage landed with great flare into the amp and preamp! We both looked at each other as everything went up in electrical smoke. To say the least the whole system smoked out into handcrafted slag.
Am glad you made out with still working gear despite the burn holes.
Joe, a cut above.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis