My plasma above the fireplace melted!!

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Well, after much hand wringing and deliberation, I mounted my plasma above the fireplace in my new home where I recently moved in with my fiance'.
We did watching tests to check the height. Fine so far.
I did temperature tests to make sure it wasn't too hot. Fine.
I designed a mantle and over mantle to surround the fireplace and tv. Fine.
Hand selected the cherry lumber and had it sent to kiln to dry. Check.
Installed a temporary mantle shelf for Christmas to hang stockings. Good.

We had a couple over for dinner last Saturday night. After dinner we adjourned to the living room for drinks, conversation, and some music. Everyone oohed and aahed over the set up- the streaming, the blu ray, the music server, the excellent sound of the Quad Active Monitors. I was beaming with pride. So the guy, Bob, tells Edie my fiance' how nice all the candles she has burning around the room smell. I agree, and glance from candle to candle.........and then looking up at my Plasma, I say, "YEAH, AND THOSE TWO CANDLES THAT ARE MELTING MY PLASMA LOOK GREAT, TOO!!!!!!" I hadn't noticed, but Edie had placed two large candles on each end of the mantle shelf.......the tops of said candles were about 2-3" below the very bottom of the tv. Once the candles got going the flame just melted a hole up the bottom of the tv.The tv works fine, it just has two big melt spots in the bottom plastic piece. Arrrrghhh. Edie felt terrible, but all I could do was laugh- it's just a big piece of plastic and electronics, right. Smiles.

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Sorry to hear that david, Ive always been against the idea of mounting over the fireplace unless its on a ceiling lift and away from the heat :(

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I still like it above the fireplace. It was literally the only good place for it in the small area.
And the area where the panel is never got above 80 degrees...........until the candles were lit!!!
It's not an uberexpensive panel. A 42" 720P entry level Panny. I'm secretly looking at this as leverage to upgrade to 50" or larger panel..........."This one would work fine in the bedroom, sweetie!"

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Kudos for keeping it all in perspective and devising a strategy to turn this unfortunate event into an upgrade rationale. :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe you can sell the melted set to Edie so you can get the bigger set you really want.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
That sucks Dave.....do you have Homeowners/Renters insurance? I'm sure you could claim it and put the money towards an upgrade. I would assume this would fall under that category.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm secretly looking at this as leverage to upgrade to 50" or larger panel..........."This one would work fine in the bedroom, sweetie!"
That was my IMMEDIATE thought! :D

This isn't a disaster, it's an excuse to upgrade. I mean, seriously... A setup so fine demands a Kuro display, and since the whole setup is now compromised, you really do need to upgrade to a 50" display. Besides, 42" displays are only appropriate if your viewing distance is about 6 or 7 feet. You really NEED something which is 12' viewable.

50" isn't likely to cut it either... May I suggest a 60" instead?

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
You're a good man. Kudos to you for not having an aneurism when you first saw it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
At least it just melted a bit and didn't completely catch on fire.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Chicks dig scars :) As long as it works fine, think of it as a good story piece.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
maybe after you sell her on getting the new TV for the main room, you can contact panny to see fi they have a replacement part for it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
...It's not an uberexpensive panel. A 42" 720P entry level Panny. I'm secretly looking at this as leverage to upgrade to 50" or larger panel..........."This one would work fine in the bedroom, sweetie!"
An expensive lesson for the two of you:eek: At least you found that it's not the location but others who lack the forethought about those things.
The next TV there needs to be closer to the mantle so no candles will fit under it:D

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Thanks, all. Actually, she has been so gracious about everything involved in me moving in here, insisting I get half of all the space, that all her art and pictures come down and we combine everything equally and just being a trooper about the whole move, that she could have melted the whole rig and I would still be head over heels about her. Grins. Yep. I should also note that she has gotten whole house audio, and loves the streaming Pandora, as well as Netflix......plus, I am just about ready to load her small collection of cd's onto the server so she is really happy from an audio standpoint. Once again, she is worth a gazillion tvs and I am happy to be here......
the new mantle and over mantle will surround the tv pretty snugly.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Wow I am happy the plastic did not ignite that could have been the absolute worst scenario , a couple of custom made ventilation holes to alleviate any overheating of the panel, thanks honey.
Now on to the new panel, :D.
I guess it was about a week after my kappas were finished my baby decided to burn candles everywhere and man they did look cool really set the mood just right until the one on the kappa burned down some and a hole developed in the side of one big three wick candle and wax ran all over the top of the sub without any none noticing all they kept saying was how good the new subs sounded as dark red wax ran down the sides, luckily nothing made it to the front and the driver, no burn mark on the laminate either , lucky I guess, no more candles in the HT, period.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Costco has the SIXTY-FIVE INCH Panny for $2500 right now. Did I mention that it's SIXTY FIVE? :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis