My impressions of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oppo in my book. Followed by the A2/A3 and then the PS3 and I'd say at this point the differences are small at best, so it isn't a deciding factor IMO. I'd be looking at the other features each offers (since all 3 do offer at least one that each of the others don't), and what it is you are after.

The A2 is a bit clunky, the PS3 is expensive and does a lot of things but you may not need all of them, and the 980 doesn't handle either high def format.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Up until a couple of weeks ago, when the HD-DVD buying frenzy hit, I would have said you'd be silly NOT to buy an Oppo. I was about to get one myself. But now that I have the PS 3 and the A3, it doesn't make much sense to buy an SD DVD player. Sorry Oppo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Even at the regular price of $199, the A2 is just as good as the 980 (which means the A2 costs less too), BUT it doesn't do SACD or DVD-A....

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
Samsung

i think i read that Samsung is coming out with a player that will play both Blu Ray and HD ,,, so you can pick one brand to always buy, but if you want to rent a movie and they only have the other format, or a friend only has the other format ,,,you can borrow or rent any movie now...i think thats a good idea...but probably down the road one will be toast.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Test results have shown that when it comes to upconversion of DVD material the PS3 outperforms almost every product on the market, including the $1,000+ Denon players and those using Genum processors. This was flat out shocking to many people, but follows suit with the processing power that the PS3 has. The addition of Blu-ray playback and a very responsive system is just a plus.

The Oppo and HD-A2 may end up being fairly similar for quality, with the Oppo edging the A2, but really, the A2 is a far better value than the Oppo.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Test results have shown that when it comes to upconversion of DVD material the PS3 outperforms almost every product on the market, including the $1,000+ Denon players and those using Genum processors. This was flat out shocking to many people, but follows suit with the processing power that the PS3 has. The addition of Blu-ray playback and a very responsive system is just a plus.
Seems like the PS 3 was a decent investment after all. :D

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
upconversion of DVD material the PS3 outperforms almost every product on the market, including the $1,000+ Denon players and those using Genum processors.
Curious BMX, source material on the tests???
The PS3 may well be my next BD player, and would make a easier purchase if I could see the tests you speak of.
Last I saw, the XA2 scored something like a 95 or 96, the BD-P1200 (current player for me) scored a 95 or 96, and
the PS3 scored WAY below something like a 70 to 80 (granted this was prior to a alledged firmware upgrade, that helped upconversion).
The OPPO was still a top scorer... (but as stated, for a 199.00 player, the money would be more wisely spent on a HD player at this time)

I was aware of the XA2 beating out the Genum chips. But not the PS3.

This was over at Secrets for the 2007 shootout.
Let me find the link.
This one - http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's been a while since I've taken a look, but I found it on a link on one of the forums I was on, and then went, read it, then moved on. I think it may have come from AVS, but I'm not positive.

Reviewing that article, it definitely was something that was done after it was written and included actual screen shots comparing specific upconverted frames and scaling quality as handled by multiple players, including the A2, Oppo, and PS3. It was interesting to read, but I'm not sure how 'official' it was.

The bottom line really is that both the A2, XA2, and PS3, and other HD players do have the guts to do great upconversion as well as the capability of delivering HD video.

For those with a universal remote, Nyko has an IR remote (USB/IR) that works with the PS3. It can't control power, but controls all other functionality and works pretty well. I've got it tied into my system and my wife has no issues with it at all.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
So the info was based on 1 person view of the PS3?

Does anybody know of any Pro reviews of the PS3, since the last 3 or 4 firmware updates?
I really would like to see where it places, in terms of the updates.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
For those with a universal remote, Nyko has an IR remote (USB/IR) that works with the PS3. It can't control power, but controls all other functionality and works pretty well. I've got it tied into my system and my wife has no issues with it at all.
Do you have a link or the model number of that remote?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
i think i read that Samsung is coming out with a player that will play both Blu Ray and HD ,,, so you can pick one brand to always buy, but if you want to rent a movie and they only have the other format, or a friend only has the other format ,,,you can borrow or rent any movie now...i think thats a good idea...but probably down the road one will be toast.
Dual format players have been out for almost a year.

Do you have a link or the model number of that remote?
It is essentially the same thing as using the old PS2 remote since you have to use a USB IR adapter to use it.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
...The bottom line really is that both the A2, XA2, and PS3, and other HD players do have the guts to do great upconversion as well as the capability of delivering HD video....

Does the PS3 upconvert over component connections or only over HDMI?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Oppo in my book. Followed by the A2/A3 and then the PS3 and I'd say at this point the differences are small at best, so it isn't a deciding factor IMO. I'd be looking at the other features each offers (since all 3 do offer at least one that each of the others don't), and what it is you are after.

The A2 is a bit clunky, the PS3 is expensive and does a lot of things but you may not need all of them, and the 980 doesn't handle either high def format.
A2 scores 116/130 on the HQV DVD benchmark test disc, the Oppo scores 113/130 and the PS3 scores 120/130.

So I'd have to give it to the PS3.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
So the info was based on 1 person view of the PS3?

Does anybody know of any Pro reviews of the PS3, since the last 3 or 4 firmware updates?
I really would like to see where it places, in terms of the updates.
It scores 120/130 for the HQV DVD benchmark test disc.
The Oppo in comparison scored 113 and the A2 scored 116.

For the HQV HD benchmark tests:
PS3 - 100/100
HD-A2 - 65/100

PS3:
•Noise Reduction: Pass – Score 25 of 25
•Video Resolution Loss Test: Pass – Score 20 of 20
•Video Reconstruction Test (Jaggies): Pass – Score 20 of 20
•Film Resolution Loss Test: Pass – Score 25 of 25
•Film Resolution Loss Test - Stadium: Pass – Score 10 of 10
•Total Score: 100 out of a possible 100.

HD-A2:
•Noise Reduction: Pass – Score 15 of 25
•Film Resolution Loss Test: Fail – Score 0 of 25
•Total Score: 65 out of a possible 100.

Remember these are the HD benchmark test discs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan

For the HQV HD benchmark tests:
PS3 - 100/100
HD-A2 - 65/100

PS3:
•Noise Reduction: Pass – Score 25 of 25
•Film Resolution Loss Test: Pass – Score 25 of 25
•Total Score: 100 out of a possible 100.

HD-A2:
•Noise Reduction: Pass – Score 15 of 25
•Film Resolution Loss Test: Fail – Score 0 of 25
•Total Score: 65 out of a possible 100.

Remember these are the HD benchmark test discs.
So are these resulsts indicative of what standard dvd upscaling performance would be as well? Should I assume by those numbers that the PS3 is a better upscaling dvd player than the HD-A2? I own both and want to use the best one.

1tribeca

Audioholic
BluRay...enough capacity to properly display a 24fps movie on a 1080p panel without compression...'nuff said, HD DVD bites.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Once again, I will reiterate "are there any Pro reviews"?
Link please?

Anyhow, as I said before, I will be getting the 40GB PS3 (considering it is the cheapest BD player)
So I will compare it myself, to the BD-P1200.

It looks as though I will be getting it Friday (with the 7 movie deal, get 2 instantly).
And I have a couple questions for you PS3 owners.
Does it have to be hooked up to a phone line (or ethernet) for updates?
Or can you download updates, and use a CD-R?
Is the internal 40GB a standard HDD? And can it be changed out for a larger drive? (I have a bunch of spare HDDs)
When the say "sony store" for music downloads, is that the only way to DL music?
I am assuming the PS3 can be hooked directly to a computer, to transfer my MP3 files? (as well, what about VOB files?)
From what I saw, it has a standard female HDMI, does it come with a HDMI cable? A/V (RGB) cables?
Does it come with a remote?
If no remote, how do you navigate through a BD movie?

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
BluRay...enough capacity to properly display a 24fps movie on a 1080p panel without compression...'nuff said, HD DVD bites.
The is clearly a useless and misinformed member, wasting thread time/post capacity.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
It looks as though I will be getting it Friday (with the 7 movie deal, get 2 instantly).
And I have a couple questions for you PS3 owners.
Does it have to be hooked up to a phone line (or ethernet) for updates?
Or can you download updates, and use a CD-R?
Is the internal 40GB a standard HDD? And can it be changed out for a larger drive? (I have a bunch of spare HDDs)
When the say "sony store" for music downloads, is that the only way to DL music?
I am assuming the PS3 can be hooked directly to a computer, to transfer my MP3 files? (as well, what about VOB files?)
From what I saw, it has a standard female HDMI, does it come with a HDMI cable? A/V (RGB) cables?
Does it come with a remote?
If no remote, how do you navigate through a BD movie?
I don't know if the 40GB version has built in WIFI, but that's how I update mine. But I have also updated it by saving the file on an external hard drive and hooking that up to my PS 3.

Again, I can't speak about the 40GB version, but the 60GB hard drive can be replaced.

Does it come with cables and a remote????? Are you kiddin'???? Yeah right. This is Sony we're talking about.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis