My impressions of HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Let me preface this by saying that I am basing my comparisons on just one of each type of player. The only players I have used are the PS 3 (Blu-ray) and the Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD).

Basically they appear pretty equal in terms of picture quality, so I am making my comparisons just on the basis of the functionality of the players themselves.

I've had my PS 3 since March and I think it works EXTREMELY well as a Blu-ray player. It loads discs very fast, (usually within about 5 seconds) and has many useful features that I like.

1. I like that you can fast forward to x1.5 and still have sound and see subtitles. I often watch foreign movies, but I tend to be impatient, so it's nice to be able to fast forward through the boring parts, but still be able to read what is being said.

2. I like that you can change audio tracks and subtitles "on the fly". Which audio or subtitle track you are currently using is briefly displayed on the screen.

3. I like that you the on-screen display will show things like the bit rate of the video and the audio track, time remaining, etc. This is especially useful to me, because I like to check what the difference is between the compressed and uncompressed audio tracks.

In fact, about the only drawback I can find to the PS 3, is that it doesn't seem to do well in an enclosed cabinet.

I just got they Toshiba A3 yesterday, and I find it very clunky to use. For starters, it takes about 30 seconds from the time you press the power button, before you can even open the disc tray. It's a little bit faster with standard DVD's.

1. When you fast forward on the A3, no sound or subtitles. I find this pretty annoying.

2. For some reason, on the A3 you can't change subtitles on the fly. You have to open the menu and select the subtitles menu. Not such a big deal, but then why is there even a subtitle button on the remote? It doesn't do anything. When you change audio tracks, nothing is displayed on the screen, so you don't know which track you just switched to. Obviously if you hear Spanish, you know you just switched to the Spanish track, but there's nothing on the screen that tells you this.

3. The on-screen display of the A3 is VERY basic. It doesn't give you bit rate or show you how much time is remaining in the movie.

Even more annoying about the A3, is that it reacts VERY slowly to commands. If you press a button on the remote while watching an HD-DVD, it literally takes about 3 to 5 seconds before that command is carried out, (i.e. press fast forward, wait 3 seconds, then it starts to fast forward). This really bugs the hell out of me. Again this is considerably shorter with a standard DVD, but I bought the A3 for HD-DVD's.

Now , I don't know if the A3 is typical of other HD-DVD players, but I think it's a real pain to use. The PS 3 definitely works MUCH better as a high def video player. In the future, I only plan on buying HD-DVD's that I can't get on Blu-ray, (Transformers, Batman Begins, etc.). If this is how all HD-DVD players function, then I think this is just another factor in the HD video war that gives Blu-ray the advantage. However TONS of people ran out and bought Toshiba players over the last couple of days, so this battle is getting very interesting.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I noticed the same thing with my A3 when watching Batman Begins last night too. It takes forever to boot up and spit out the tray. And also the menu system is kind of laggy when comparing it to my PS3. Whenever I press a button on the A3, whether its fast forward or a menu button there is a slight lag in execution. I guess I will only be getting the HD-DVD version of movies when I absolutely have to.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You are comparing a $500 BD player with a bottom of the line entry level <$200 HD player.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I noticed the same thing with my A3 when watching Batman Begins last night too. It takes forever to boot up and spit out the tray. And also the menu system is kind of laggy when comparing it to my PS3. Whenever I press a button on the A3, whether its fast forward or a menu button there is a slight lag in execution. I guess I will only be getting the HD-DVD version of movies when I absolutely have to.
My Sony BDP S300 Blu ray player is just as slow to boot, eject, and play a title.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
You are comparing a $500 BD player with a bottom of the line entry level <$200 HD player.
Actually the only reason I got it at $199 was because it happened to be on sale. It is actually a $300 player. And even though I have the 60GB PS3 and I paid $499 you can now get it at $399 since the 40GB is no different when it comes to playing movies. And granted if you want to compare apples to apples I would have to go with the A30 which is $399 but I highly doubt it's any faster than the A3.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The standalone Blu-Ray players are just as slow as the HD-DVD players. I have no issues with my HD-A2. It is slow to boot up and open the tray but that 30 seconds doesn't kill me. I have not noticed any remote lag. I use an MX-900 remote with an MRF-350 RF base station. I haven't used the original Toshiba remote.

I don't own a Blu-Ray player but I have setup many for customers as the company I work for has put all of their eggs in one basket (Blu-Ray). My experience with BDP-S300, which is the competitor to the HD-A2 (3) is that it can, sometimes, take over a minute and a half to load a disc. Now that is slow. That's after the 40 second boot time. It doesn't compete very well in performance or price IMO. I have had a couple occasions where the S300 has frozen up completely and had to be unplugged. I've never had issues like that with my A2.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
My Sony BDP S300 Blu ray player is just as slow to boot, eject, and play a title.
That's something I was wondering, as I only have experience with the PS 3. I had heard that other Blu-ray players were slow also. So basically it seems like the PS 3 is about the best high def player out right now.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
why, do the higher models let you change subtitles and audio tracks on the fly?
I noticed today that the A3 let me change subtitles on the fly with a standard DVD, so I guess it's only HD-DVD's that are weird.

Still, all in all, I find the A3 very clumsy to use when compared to my PS 3.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I noticed today that the A3 let me change subtitles on the fly with a standard DVD, so I guess it's only HD-DVD's that are weird.

Still, all in all, I find the A3 very clumsy to use when compared to my PS 3.
"subtitles-on-the-fly" appears to be a feature that does exist on some BD titles but not on HD-DVD. I don't know why. It is a good feature but not a deal breaker for me. I watched "Black Book," a Dutch film, on BD the other evening and noticed that feature. I've never seen it on an HD-DVD but I suspect it has more to do with those doing the transfers than some inherent difference in the technology.

I have an A2 and a BD-S300. To me they operate about the same and that is to say perfectly satisfactorily. I have no reason to complain about either one.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Audio track changing on the fly possible w/ A2.

The A2 (and I assume A3 too) can change audio tracks on the fly, whether or not it can depends on the permissions on each HD-DVD. Some movies will let you do it and others won't. I assume that subtitle changing on the fly will work the same way just as it does on regular DVD players, depends on the disc.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The A2 (and I assume A3 too) can change audio tracks on the fly, whether or not it can depends on the permissions on each HD-DVD. Some movies will let you do it and others won't. I assume that subtitle changing on the fly will work the same way just as it does on regular DVD players, depends on the disc.
With the A3, you can change audio tracks on the fly. However, the PS 3 displays the audio track for a few seconds; the A3 doesn't. I found this to be pretty annoying, as I wasn't sure which track I was listening to. If you want to see the audio track, you have to open up the audio menu and select the track you want there.

Again, all of the faults that I found with the A3 are things that I found personally annoying. Many others may have no problem with not being able to fast-forward with sound and subtitles, not being able to know which audio track they're listening to, and the slow reaction time of the unit itself. To me, all of these little quirks add up and make me not want to use the A3.

My old Panasonic S77 DVD player had LOTS of useful features and was WAY more user-friendly than the A3 is. The S77 only cost me about $150 a couple of years ago or so. So as someone else mentioned, I don't think cost of the player is the deciding factor in whether or not it performs well. One of my favorite features of the S77 was that it allowed you to move the subtitles down as far as you wanted and make them not as bright. I HATE watching subtitles that are so high up that they're almost in the middle of the screen and are so bright that I need sunglasses to read them. With the S77, I was able to push them all the way down to the bottom of the screen and make them fairly dark. Unfortunately, I haven't come across another player that had that feature.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
You are comparing a stand alone player to a powerful gaming machine. I have both the XBox player and the PS3, and I find them both equally easy to use and each are very responsive. The PS3 has an advantage with HDMI 1.3 and 1080p/24 support. I still prefer HD-DVD because I can get the DVD at the same time and watch it in other rooms.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I still prefer HD-DVD because I can get the DVD at the same time and watch it in other rooms.
Huh? I thought they pretty much scrapped all combo discs...is that what you are talking about?

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
well here is the deal-breaker for me, there is no BD player that can match my XA2 and it cost half as much as the most expensive BD unit. there's the flip side.

you may also need a firmware upgrade for the A3. They come out almost every 3 months, you can download them at tacp.toshiba.com.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
You are comparing a stand alone player to a powerful gaming machine.
What does that have to do with it? If anything, I would assume that a stand-alone player would have an advantage over a movie/gaming system as it is designed specifically for one purpose, not 2.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
you may also need a firmware upgrade for the A3. They come out almost every 3 months, you can download them at tacp.toshiba.com.
I tried doing that the first day I got my A3, but for some reason Roxio kept having a problem burning the disc. I waste 2 discs that both got near the end and then crapped out. Then I tried saving it as a data disc, which I guess is the wrong format. Well that way the disc finally burned, but it didn't work when I put it in the A3. And of course those were the last 3 discs I had. Guess I need to go to Fry's and buy some more discs.

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
you need to make sure the software supports burning ISO image files. works perfect.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
All you need to do is connect the A3 to the internet via the ethernet connection on the back and go into the menu to update the firmware. No discs needed. I've done it three times on my A2 with no issues. It takes roughly 20 minutes.

annunaki

annunaki

That's something I was wondering, as I only have experience with the PS 3. I had heard that other Blu-ray players were slow also. So basically it seems like the PS 3 is about the best high def player out right now.
One must remember that the PS3 is primarily a Game System. Kids will be using it. If it were slow they would probably break it, as kids are very impatient. This is probably a big reason for the higher cost. It requires more/faster computing ability to boot up and load quicker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis