My imminent retirement

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I can no longer avoid talking about it, I'm gonna retire soon. They've scheduled a retirement lunch for me at work on Dec. 9th. I guess I have to show up at work that day.

I've been at my present job for the last 19 years, and I've worked 40 years as a scientist. That includes graduate school starting in 1976, the bottom rung of that career path. I hadn't realized it was that long :eek:. Most of my career I've worked in various aspects of cancer – trust me, you don't want to know more :(.

Before grad school, I spent 4 brief, or all too long, years (1971-75, my perspective varies) in the Navy, back in the days of mandatory military service. So counting a few other brief jobs, I've worked 45 years. It's time to hang it up, sleep late (if I remember how), smell the roses, get Medicare, yadda, yadda.

Now I'll have lots more time to join the ranks of those other grouchy curmudgeons who (claim to) know far more than the rest of you about audio :rolleyes: :D.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats.

LOL, we had a retirement party for one of my friends and he kept working for almost another year.... we had 3 or 4 small ones called "Retiring again" "STILL retiring" and "Still here..."

I've been in the current job for 10 years, at this company for a total of 17 :confused:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I can no longer avoid talking about it, I'm gonna retire soon. They've scheduled a retirement lunch for me at work on Dec. 9th. I guess I have to show up at work that day.

I've been at my present job for the last 19 years, and I've worked 40 years as a scientist. That includes graduate school starting in 1976, the bottom rung of that career path. I hadn't realized it was that long :eek:. Most of my career I've worked in various aspects of cancer – trust me, you don't want to know more :(.

Before grad school, I spent 4 brief, or all too long, years (1971-75, my perspective varies) in the Navy, back in the days of mandatory military service. So counting a few other brief jobs, I've worked 45 years. It's time to hang it up, sleep late (if I remember how), smell the roses, get Medicare, yadda, yadda.

Now I'll have lots more time to join the ranks of those other grouchy curmudgeons who (claim to) know far more than the rest of you about audio :rolleyes: :D.
Yes, congrats! If you fear boredom, then you may try to find a little part time job with low stress, just to make a little $ for your hobbies and to stay engaged.

40 years as a scientist! Just think about how much has changed and how much progress has been made since you started out in that field!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats. I have about 30 years to go before I can retire so unless someone gives me a lot of money or I figure out how to get rich.

I digress...I'm happy for you and am also jealous.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
LOL, we had a retirement party for one of my friends and he kept working for almost another year.... we had 3 or 4 small ones called "Retiring again" "STILL retiring" and "Still here..."
I think I'm not gonna be one of those guys. Right now, I want out. Most of the people I've known well and liked are already gone, and the younger people who replaced them don't want to listen to me :D. So they can have it all.

If I come back, it will be as a highly paid consultant.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
40 years as a scientist! Just think about how much has changed and how much progress has been made since you started out in that field!
It hasn't all been progress in the classic sense. There have been more than a few discoveries that proved we didn't always get things right the first time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My dad retired a few years back. He works at Lowes now lol. Having all that time meant he could attend to all the things he wanted to get to - and finished them all and got bored haha. I still have a while to go before I retire unless I hit the lotto LMAO.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations Richard! Time to move on to a new chapter. Having more time to spend on this hobby should be rewarding. However, I recommend that you also consider doing some volunteering. Have done that myself and find it simply amazing. Helping those in need always brings a smile to my face.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations Richard! Time to move on to a new chapter. Having more time to spend on this hobby should be rewarding. However, I recommend that you also consider doing some volunteering. Have done that myself and find it simply amazing. Helping those in need always brings a smile to my face.

Cheers,

Phil
Totally. I work full time and still volunteer whenever I can. It doesn't feel so much like work.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Totally. I work full time and still volunteer whenever I can. It doesn't feel so much like work.
I agree John. It just also shows that you are a good guy/dude......LOL!!!!! :cool::p:cool:

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Enjoy your retirement. It is great to have time for the grandchildren. If you are like me there still won't be enough hours in the day!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've been retired for almost 5 years now.

One thing I simply cannot figure out is how I ever used to have time for work!!!

I don't understand the people get bored and go back to work just to have something to do.

Being home 24/7 with your spouse seems like a more profound change in lifestyle.

I know one guy who has an "escape pod"! It is a small trailer set up about a 1/2 mile walk from his house. That may seem "wrong", but she appreciates the "escape pod" as much as he does!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats Richard!

Think of how much time you'll get to spend at Dennis' now!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I was retired for a few years and trust me it gets old. I found myself getting bored and after a couple of years, I found that my mind started slowing way down. My solution was to take a job in one of my expensive hobbies and what a blessing that's been. Not only does it put a few dollars in my pocket and pay for my hobby, but it fills my days and has sharpened my mind back up to where it was when I was designing, implementing and managing computer networks for a living. Use it or lose it as they say.

highfigh

highfigh

I've been retired for almost 5 years now.

One thing I simply cannot figure out is how I ever used to have time for work!!!

I don't understand the people get bored and go back to work just to have something to do.

Being home 24/7 with your spouse seems like a more profound change in lifestyle.

I know one guy who has an "escape pod"! It is a small trailer set up about a 1/2 mile walk from his house. That may seem "wrong", but she appreciates the "escape pod" as much as he does!
Those are the ones who don't have a plan, other than just sitting around.

My parents retired and my dad didn't do as much as he had, especially once the doctor found two aortic aneurysms and one on his stomach. He was told that he shouldn't lift more than 25 pounds, so that put the kaibosh on doing most of the things he would have, if he had been able. My mom sometimes complained that he was in her way- being a redhead, well, I'll leave it at that.

highfigh

highfigh

I was retired for a few years and trust me it gets old. I found myself getting bored and after a couple of years, I found that my mind started slowing way down. My solution was to take a job in one of my expensive hobbies and what a blessing that's been. Not only does it put a few dollars in my pocket and pay for my hobby, but it fills my days and has sharpened my mind back up to where it was when I was designing, implementing and managing computer networks for a living. Use it or lose it as they say.
My plan is to actually take the time to engage in my hobbies- something I don't do enough now, mainly because I don't want to do much woodworking during Winter because I'm in Milwaukee, I would have to move a lot of things just to get started, wait for the heater to bring it up to temperature, disable the overhead door and then, there's the question of "How much will the wood move when it's moved into a warmer/moist environment?". Then, I have to clean it up, move everything back to it's stored position and move whatever I was working with to a place where the glue won't freeze and make sure I don't leave finishing materials out there, so the cold won't make them unusable.

I'm planning to move to the SW, where it will be lower humidity and the temperature extremes won't require as much heating. I'll also have a workshop that can be sealed better and insulated. My garage audio system rocks, so that's not an issue and I think that's important.

Years ago, a friend and I were complaining about our jobs and at one point, he asked "What are we gonna do when we grow up?" and I said I'd like to have a couple of good-paying hobbies. That's my plan- one hobby making things to sell would become like a job and it could become a chore but having more than one would be much better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis