My imminent retirement

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My last post on this thread was Nov. 29, nearly a month ago. Today was really my last day at work. Finally, what month.

Thursday Dec. 8th - went out to lunch with one of my bosses (I have 3, I'm a subcontractor who works at the prime contractor's location) and the 7 employees I have now who report to me. It was nice and low key. Until those 7 employees all starting telling their version of how they first met me. I hired them all, and they all told really nice stories how they thought I was so wonderful. :confused:! Apparently at their interviews, I spent more time trying to sell them on the job opening I had rather than 'critically' interviewing them. I didn't know it had such an effect. They told those stories even though they don't have to suck up to me anymore.

And then they gave me a gold retirement watch. I didn't expect that. It's a Seiko just like the picture, but with a company logo printed on the face near 9 o'clock.

http://aoyamatokei.com/common/itemimg//itemimg_23/41kefgpc_ul.jpg

Friday Dec. 9th – A large lunch at the the other company where I actually work. They're the prime contractor. It was a much larger affair, with catered food, and the whole company. My wife was invited, so she was there too. Lot's of talk & praise, I had to speak, winged it rather than prepared notes, but I got lot's of laughs as I intended.

There are two senior women at work, who are both like the Sgt. Majors of the place. For years, whenever there was a birthday or celebration with cake, they would both compete for the cake slicing & distribution job. I later learned they are sisters, who sometimes (often) feud. So I formally requested that they both slice my retirement cake. They ordered TWO CAKES, one chocolate and one vanilla. There is a photo of me posing between two knife wielding Sgt. Majors! It was one of those afternoons. By 3 pm I left and was exhausted again.

I still had 2 more weeks to go.

Friday Dec. 16th – I went to the holiday party of the (unnamed) govt. agency that I really work for – they are my clients. There I went through the whole retirement deal all over again, but this time with mostly a bunch of oncologists. I've worked very closely with them for 19 years, and I enjoyed all the attention. Again, I was exhausted when it was over.

Finally this Friday, Dec. 23 approached. I finished all my work for December, including writing annual performance reviews for my employees. I gave them all raises :).

As I left, I imagined a boom-box music score for last day at work:

Take This Job and Shove It – Johnny Paycheck

I Don’t Want to Work, I Just Want to Bang on the Drum All Day – Todd Rundgren

Drop Kick Me Jesus through the Goal Posts of Life – Bobbie Bare (because we can’t be entirely frivolous)

Party Town – Glenn Frey

Feel free to suggest other songs for this play list.

My ‘exit interview’ was at 3 pm. A fancy name for turning in my keys, ID badge, and parking pass. And then I left. Ye ha!

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
So when do you move to Florida?:D

Congrats bro. Wish I could join you but I've a kid to put through college, But I sense a road trip may be in order again.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The gold watch is something, picture plz :p

And looking forward to hear on upcoming projects :D

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Actually I was thinking we could go to Chapel Hill to see hoops. I'm sure I have a family road trip to Ann Arbor or Nee Orleans soon. Not thinking of any others. Someone else would have to cough up more money than Tulane and be a better school which is highly doubtful. Meanwhile enjoy your freedom. Fix your smoker. You've plenty of time for a brisket now.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats!!! Both exciting and a little sad. Lots of memories, but THIS is now what you worked for all those years. ENJOY!!!!!!!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I bet you could get a watch maker to swap out the hands to something with more contrast. I had a watch with low contrast hands like that and it proved to be a pain for years but I still used it daily until the band wore out.

This is your chance to make a run on Adam's post count.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I bet you could get a watch maker to swap out the hands to something with more contrast. I had a watch with low contrast hands like that and it proved to be a pain for years but I still used it daily until the band wore out.
I now have 3 working watches. One more than 15 years old, which I wore daily until a year ago. It has a white dial with polished stainless hands. Contrast was alright until my eyes starting getting bad. Two years ago, I was in New Mexico when I realized I couldn't read that watch while inside a car with my sunglasses on, and I was blinded by sunlight without the sunglasses.

So I got a new watch with a dark face and high-contrast glow-in-the-dark hands:

As a result, I don't need another watch like it. The gold Seiko is cool in the sense that I'm retired so I don't really need to know what time or what day it is. I never imagined I would like a two-toned gold watch, but I do. And it was free :).
This is your chance to make a run on Adam's post count.
That thought has crossed my mind… but being a post whore is not part of my AH profile :cool:.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm diggin' it. You could teach a 2 year old to read time on that. I'm mostly a one watch at a time sort and even then I'll go for a year or two without, while I try finding something that first of all; fits and secondly: suits me.

being a post whore is not part of my AH profile :cool:.
I see your use of 'whore' is gender neutral. Bravo. :D

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So I got a new watch with a dark face and high-contrast glow-in-the-dark hands:
That is exactly why I got this for a 30th work anniversary present to myself:

But I soon realized that even with the "cyclops" window, I couldn't read the date w/o my reading glasses. So for my 35th anniversary, I got this one for myself:

I like this one better, and it's my go-to watch when I wear a watch... which may be only once or twice a week. That means winding and setting it a lot. The good news is that it's a "Sports Watch". So if I fall out of the boat fishing at the lake, I'll be able to tell the correct time all the way down to 1000ft. :rolleyes:

(Oh... my workplace gave me a set of dishes for my 25th, and a set of pots for my 30th. Turns out they were wise. I do a lot more eating than wondering what time it is.)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm diggin' it. You could teach a 2 year old to read time on that.
Exactly :D.
… it's my go-to watch when I wear a watch... which may be only once or twice a week. That means winding and setting it a lot. The good news is that it's a "Sports Watch". So if I fall out of the boat fishing at the lake, I'll be able to tell the correct time all the way down to 1000ft. :rolleyes:
That blue & gold watch looks like something an ex-NAV IPO would wear if he felt like he had to compensate for something :rolleyes:. As you sink in that 1000 foot deep lake, I guess it's comforting to know that you'll expire before the watch does.

Today, I got this gift, the ultimate timepiece for retirement :p:

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I can no longer avoid talking about it, I'm gonna retire soon. They've scheduled a retirement lunch for me at work on Dec. 9th. I guess I have to show up at work that day.

Now I'll have lots more time to join the ranks of those other grouchy curmudgeons who (claim to) know far more than the rest of you about audio :rolleyes: :D.
Swerd:
I knew there was something about you that I liked ! I also aspire to retire. I am close, but saving a few more shekels for the big day. I have worked for the same company (many different jobs) for 38 years. I am saving more shekels because the price of my toys keeps going up and up.

I am pleased to hear that you pulled the trigger. I also enjoy your responses and replies to inquiries. Forums only work if the mainstay guys/gals offer up replies that are enjoyable to read and informative. The first part, enjoyable to read is really important. Noone will hang on a forum, or anywhere else a hobby is discussed if the replies are snobbish or rude or have that nose in the air attitude. First and foremost, the mainstays have to be able to relate their information in a way that folks are comfortable with. You certainly have been helpful to me and I enjoy how you give out your dollops of wisdom.

Just as an fyi, I heard that the Golden Corral Buffet was offerring 10% discounts for dinner at 4pm :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Just as an fyi, I heard that the Golden Corral Buffet was offerring 10% discounts for dinner at 4pm :)
LOL :D. It's snowing here today and I haven't put on the snow treads on my walker yet… so I'll have to pass on the 4 pm buffet discount.

So many people asked me why I decided to finally retire, or what elaborate plans I have with all my free time, that I had to think a lot about the answer. The truth:
  • I ran out of excuses why I shouldn't retire.
  • When I figure out what I'll do, I'll let everyone know.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
LOL :D. It's snowing here today and I haven't put on the snow treads on my walker yet… so I'll have to pass on the 4 pm buffet discount.

So many people asked me why I decided to finally retire, or what elaborate plans I have with all my free time, that I had to think a lot about the answer. The truth:
  • I ran out of excuses why I shouldn't retire.
  • When I figure out what I'll do, I'll let everyone know.
Swerd:
I used to wonder, back in the day when I had hair on the top of my head instead of growing out of my ears, why people retired. In our company, a lot of very successful people would bag it with about 20 years with the company. I always found that confusing: why leave when you're in your prime?

Now that I've lived through it : I get it ! I absolutely get it. I tell most folks nowadays I'm just one good argument away from retirement. I guess it comes down to a complex cocktail of how much money to you have, how much you like/hate your job, how many people are depending on you for income, and how much do you just want to say "screw it, I'm going fishing".

I never took retirement or retirement planning seriously until I turned 55. I honestly never believed I would live to be this old. Honest truth. I never thought I would get to 55, much less as old as I am now. When I hit double nickels, it dawned on me that I had less than a decade til the stereotypical retirement age of 65 and I better get my act together.

I have spent the last few years getting my financial house in order as well as getting my hobbies and what I want to spend my time doing in order. I know from an enjoyment perspective, I will be excellent at retirement. Time off is my very best skill. I am interested in so many things there just isn't a dull moment inside my skull.

This wonderful audio hobby that we share is part of that. Listening to music on a great sound system is one lifes great enjoyments. At any age.

I know gobs of folks who have retired and are loving the change. I only know one guy personally who retired and disliked it. The odds are in your favor ! I will be able to give you my own opinion soon enough. I expect it will be two thumbs up.

Snow tires on your walker? What type of speakers do you have installed on it? Tell me they aren't Bose.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I used to wonder... why people retired.
In my estimation, there are only 2 reasons:
1. They have to.
2. They want to.

IMO the same 2 categories apply to the question of why people work. The ones that work because they have to will evaluate how much $ they need to finish their lives in the manner with which they're comfortable, and retire when they hit that mark. The ones that work because they want to are the ones that stay even when the further accumulation of wealth is not necessary.

I happened to fall into the first category, and retired at 57. (Adequate income thru retirement for me, may be less than adequate for a lot of people.) I enjoyed my job, and rarely dreaded going to work. But I'm inherently lazy. The only reason I ever worked was so I could better enjoy the time when I wasn't working. I like cooking meat over fire. I like fishing and shooting. I like home theater. I like piddling in the yard and woods. And oh... I just ordered a day clock. :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
In my estimation, there are only 2 reasons:
1. They have to.
2. They want to.

The only reason I ever worked was so I could better enjoy the time when I wasn't working. I like cooking meat over fire. I like fishing and shooting. I like home theater. I like piddling in the yard and woods. :)
Some of the best jokes start with "there are only two kinds of people". Most of the time when you're trying to make a point or illustrate a principal, the same approach of "its either a or b" works just fine. In this case, its a pretty fair comparison. I work so I can do my real life interests. I know a lot of people who's whole life is their work. Bless them. But it aint me. I enjoy my work and the people I work with. But my grandfather worked his whole life from the 8th grade to 65. He retired and told me it was the best thing ever. He lived to be 99. He lived modestly on his small savings and pension. But he enjoyed every single day of not having to work. That set the standard for me.

Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance herbu. I am a lifelong member of the too lazy to believe club. I am not opposed to doing work to earn enough for comfort. I am just hesitant to use work as a solution if there's any other path open. When I figured out my current employer would pay me to know stuff rather than to do stuff, I was set for life. I don't lay asphalt or do concrete work or anything that resembles difficult labor. I answer questions and make decisions. Its awesome work for a lazy man.

Your interests are perfect. I enjoy each one. I have 21 grandkids and I would add watching them do stuff is also on my list. Not parenting them : that's far too much work. But just enjoying them. That's perfect.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis