My first build thread. The Ocelot(s).

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Is that UMIK direct from MiniDSP? If so I would be wary about using it for serious design. It will get you close, but has the potential to be off a few db here amd there, possibky affecting crossovers and other such things. IIRC, the last time I looked at any UMIK threads they were still complaining about that and some people were experiencing a rise and some a slight rolloff in the treble compared to an earthworks mic (at least I think it was). If its from CS no worries.
Do you have any links, by chance?

I just now heard about the noisefloor issue. My mic is definitely affected as I bought mine in February. Gonna contact MiniDSP and inquire about the board swap. Guess I'll have to measure pretty loudly to get accurate results.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't. IIRC its somewhere buried in the umik thread on either AVS or home theater shack, although possibky on the the miniDSP forum. I think I still have two first gen UMIKs. If you wouldnt mind paying for shipping I'd ship one to you and you can either use it withthe miniDSP cal file or send it to CSL to have them cal it. Although if you want CSL to cal it, it would be cheaper for me to send it directly to them from me since theyre in MA. The first gen mics dont suffer from any hardware issues, only cal file issues which were sort if updated. I've compared the updated cal file to my CSL calibrated behringer and its pretty close, nothing major toreport except some slight differences at the extremes. Let me know if you want it (and I can find it :eek:).

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I don't. IIRC its somewhere buried in the umik thread on either AVS or home theater shack, although possibky on the the miniDSP forum. I think I still have two first gen UMIKs. If you wouldnt mind paying for shipping I'd ship one to you and you can either use it withthe miniDSP cal file or send it to CSL to have them cal it. Although if you want CSL to cal it, it would be cheaper for me to send it directly to them from me since theyre in MA. The first gen mics dont suffer from any hardware issues, only cal file issues which were sort if updated. I've compared the updated cal file to my CSL calibrated behringer and its pretty close, nothing major toreport except some slight differences at the extremes. Let me know if you want it (and I can find it :eek:).
Do you know how much they charge for calibration? I couldn't find it on their website.

I appreciate the offer, fuzz!! Let me talk to MiniDSP and see what can be done about my current mic and I'll get back to you. Much appreciated.

Why do you have two first gen UMIKs and a Behringer mic? XD

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Its not on their website you have to e-mail them for pricing. I think it was~ $40 + $9 for shipping. Although it could have been less. The upside to the cal they do is that the mic is then accurate to about +-1 db from 5 hz-25KHz.

I ordered one and the box name completely under protected and the carrying case was pretty beat up so I complained a little and the shipped me a new one and never asked for the original back. Good times right there :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
So someone reported this post and I got an infraction. What exactly did I say here that was insulting, other than give good feedback and advice? What's going on?
it's probably because of your other posts. either way, you should take it as a warning from the moderators that you should ease up the attitude.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
it's probably because of your other posts. either way, you should take it as a warning from the moderators that you should ease up the attitude.
While I'm all for Stalker easing up on the attitude, I am not at all for punishing him for a crime he didn't commit because he's committed others in the past. This is not justice. There are plenty of his posts that deserve an infraction (you come on a bit strong, Stalker..), the mods should go find one of those. While, at first, his post seemed rude it was realized that he was genuinely trying to help. Considering I am the member he was "rude" to, I ask the mods that his infraction be revoked. :)

That's not to say that I don't appreciate when the mods crack down on the more aggressive of our members, but in this case I have to speak against it.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have plenty of MDF left from my two subs so the cost of the cabinet is $0 and building the cabinet myself is much more fun. I'll never get better at woodworking if I don't practice. Everyone has first build disaster stories. I'm not overly confident that I'm going to produce an excellent speaker here, I just want to have fun. IDC how it looks; if this thing actually has a chance of sounding good I'll be plenty happy.

I've been screwing around with these drivers in PCD for a while now. Baffle step and diffraction discounted I was getting a +/-0.5db response up to about 12khz where the RS28 dips. Accuracy is my main concern rather than SPL. I was thinking of something that was small but powerful. Thus the Ocelot was born. Plus, it sounds cool. :p
Monk good luck with your first build.. In time if you do this again, things get easier.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
While I'm all for Stalker easing up on the attitude, I am not at all for punishing him for a crime he didn't commit because he's committed others in the past. This is not justice. There are plenty of his posts that deserve an infraction (you come on a bit strong, Stalker..), the mods should go find one of those. While, at first, his post seemed rude it was realized that he was genuinely trying to help. Considering I am the member he was "rude" to, I ask the mods that his infraction be revoked. :)

That's not to say that I don't appreciate when the mods crack down on the more aggressive of our members, but in this case I have to speak against it.
Hats off to you, sir. Very well said.

On a side note, much more lucid than I would expect from a pot head furry. :p :D (J/K, man!)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Hats off to you, sir. Very well said.

On a side note, much more lucid than I would expect from a pot head furry. :p :D (J/K, man!)
Well, when you're stoned off your *** and scaring small children while dressed in a $1500 suit that looks like a human-like ferret, you have a lot of time to think about who you are and what you stand for. XD :p :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What's wrong with just banning the idiot troll? This isn't a sorority.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Nothing if they punish him for doing something wrong. :)

FWIW, I don't blame the mod for initially giving him an infraction. It clearly rubbed three of us the wrong way, but now that we know he wasn't being abrasive but helpful, rather, it is appropriate to remove the punishment.

T

TheStalker

Banned
It's funny how people like this don't get banned, yet I get an infraction for posting some useful info, taking the time with links and all. But personal attacks are cool around here. Something I haven't done once.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Who wouldn't?
You did that to someone. My point - you have engaged in personal attacks, even when you claim to not have.

I gave you credit where it was due, but I'm not going to back you on claiming to be a forum saint.

T

TheStalker

Banned
You did that to someone. My point - you have engaged in personal attacks, even when you claim to not have.

I gave you credit where it was due, but I'm not going to back you on claiming to be a forum saint.
I falsely accused someone?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"The Stalker" is a confirmed troll. Please everyone, place him in ignore list and lets move on. Do not feed him anymore.

New DIY build threads are rarer nowdays and lets not ruin this thread any further

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think DIY is a great way to learn about speakers, with the right advice, right components and a little bit of knowledge of electronics it can be fun. I say everyone should give it a try...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis