My first build thread. The Ocelot(s).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't believe you have time with college and all. :eek:

When I was in college, my only priority was academia and graduation and finding a career/job. So I took as many courses as possible all year round.

No weed and booze for me. :D

Then after I graduated with a nice solid career, I only had time to buy speakers and electronics. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hats off, Monk. You might have just pulled an Apple - by starting a frenzy of interest by announcing that something new will be coming out, but giving no real details or a time frame. "What will it look like? How much will it cost? When will they be available?!? I need DETAILS!!!"

Let the rumors fly. I can only hope to hit over 100 posts in this thread before any details are announced. :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Sorry to disappoint, Adam, but I'm taking pictures now. Let's see how many times you can post in this thread in the next 45 minutes. ;)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to disappoint, Adam, but I'm taking pictures now. Let's see how many times you can post in this thread in the next 45 minutes. ;)
Challenge...accepted.

30 second timer...activated.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alright...I just can't do it. I mean, I can, but I won't. I am looking forward to the pics, though!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
The Ocelot is a fairly large monitor intended for nearfield listening and, perhaps, a center for my Philharmonics. We'll see how the crossover goes.

The speaker measures 14" X 13" X 11". Not exactly small for a monitor/bookshelf speaker.

The drivers used are the:

Dayton RS28A

Zaph Audio ZA14W08.

The sealed enclosure is 19 liters internally. The F3 is 94hz.

Max SPL around 97db limited by woofer excursion.

*My woodworking skills are absolutely terrible. If you expect pretty pictures of well built speakers, i recommend SalkSound's website. :D :p

Since this is my first speaker I decided to only build one cabinet and see how it turns out. If i am satisfied with the results, I will build the second cabinet.

Pictures to come.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I can't believe you have time with college and all. :eek:

When I was in college, my only priority was academia and graduation and finding a career/job. So I took as many courses as possible all year round.
I'm on break. :D :D Lat semester I had six classes.

No weed and booze for me. :D
I can fix that for you, friend.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
PICTURES
Front baffle awaiting its fate:

Bracing goes in:

In goes the stuffing:

Close up of the denim insulation:

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Why didn't you just buy a prefabricated Dayton box from Parts Express? These things are dirt cheap, look great, and work very well for experimenting, etc. This one is plenty big enough for that midrange of a driver: Dayton Audio TW-0.38BK 0.38 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black | 302-710

It's only $85 and comes with magnetic grills and removable front baffle. You really can't beat that.
I have plenty of MDF left from my two subs so the cost of the cabinet is $0 and building the cabinet myself is much more fun. I'll never get better at woodworking if I don't practice. Everyone has first build disaster stories. I'm not overly confident that I'm going to produce an excellent speaker here, I just want to have fun. IDC how it looks; if this thing actually has a chance of sounding good I'll be plenty happy.

Why did you call it the Ocelot?
I've been screwing around with these drivers in PCD for a while now. Baffle step and diffraction discounted I was getting a +/-0.5db response up to about 12khz where the RS28 dips. Accuracy is my main concern rather than SPL. I was thinking of something that was small but powerful. Thus the Ocelot was born. Plus, it sounds cool. :p

T

TheStalker

Banned
Why didn't you just buy a prefabricated Dayton box from Parts Express? These things are dirt cheap, look great, and work very well for experimenting, etc. This one is plenty big enough for that midrange of a driver: Dayton Audio TW-0.38BK 0.38 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black | 302-710

It's only $85 and comes with magnetic grills and removable front baffle. You really can't beat that.
So someone reported this post and I got an infraction. What exactly did I say here that was insulting, other than give good feedback and advice? What's going on?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So someone reported this post and I got an infraction. What exactly did I say here that was insulting, other than give good feedback and advice? What's going on?
I'll admit that I find some of your posts confrontational, but I agree that post wasn't. It rubbed me the wrong way the first time that I read it, only because of your past posts - but after rereading it, I thought it was (as you said) just intended to be helpful. I don't think that it deserved an infraction.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'll admit that I find some of your posts confrontational, but I agree that post wasn't. It rubbed me the wrong way the first time that I read it, only because of your past posts - but after rereading it, I thought it was (as you said) just intended to be helpful. I don't think that it deserved an infraction.
+1.000000000000

More pictures have been added. :D Sorry about the quality, my phone was charging so I had to use my mom's.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Did you download Zaph's FRD files for the midwoofer? http://www.zaphaudio.com/contest-FRDfiles.zip

It will help greatly with the PCD.

You can also get yourself one of these: Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone Allows For Accurate Acoustic Measurements At A Fraction Of The Price 390-801 (gate it at 10ms or less)
And this: Dayton Audio DATS Dayton Audio Test System | 390-806
LspCAD: http://www.ijdata.com/
And definitely I recommend the Unibox: UniBox - Unified Box Model for Loudspeaker Design - Kristian Ougaard
PCD and FRD are here: software
SPLTrace helps: FRD Consortium tools guide
Zaph Audio for amusement: Zaph|Audio
Mark K: Mark K's Speaker Pages
David Ralph: David Ralph's Speaker Pages - Home of the Windows Passive Crossover Designer (WinPCD)
Madisound for parts: Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders.
Parts Express for parts: Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components
Parts Connexion for parts: Parts ConneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components
Zalytron for parts: Zalytron
Speaker City for parts: Speaker City sells speakers, drivers, audiophile loud

Vifa/Peerless driver manufacturers: Tymphany
Scanspeak driver manufacturer: Scan-Speak
Hyquphon driver manufacturer: Hiquphon 1st natural choice in 3/4" soft dome tweeters - 20mm soft dome tweeter type OWI, OWII, OW3, OW4 .... and more. Designed and produced in Denmark since 1983.
Audio Technology driver manufacturer: www.audiotechnology.dk
RAAL driver manufacturer: RAAL - ADVANCED LOUDSPEAKERS
Seas driver manufacturer: Welcome to SEAS, THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS
SB Acoustics driver manufacturer: www.sbacoustics.com

Custom cabinet builder: acoustic waveguides
Custom cabinet builder: Tyler Acoustics

Amazing speaker projects: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm
More amazing speaker projects: http://www.audioexcite.com/
And our pal Dennis: http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html

Hardware/Materials/Tools: McMaster-Carr
More hardware: http://www.grainger.com/

Tons of valuable information here: http://sound.westhost.com/

Electronics fun reading: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
Parts: www.newark.com
Parts: www.digikey.com
Parts: www.mouser.com
Parts: www.alliedelec.com

Now you have all the knowledge and tools to open a loudspeaker ID company.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Did you download Zaph's FRD files for the midwoofer? http://www.zaphaudio.com/contest-FRDfiles.zip
I did, yes.

I already have a mic.

UMIK-1 | MiniDSP

Have.

Have. 6.2 pro edition. ;)

Have. I typically use WinISD

PCD and FRD are here: software
SPLTrace helps: FRD Consortium tools guide
Have.

I also have Speak, Praxis, HOLMImpulse, REW, and the Martin King worksheets.

Zalytron for parts: Zalytron
Thanks

Live within 5 miles. ;)

Thanks. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Is that UMIK direct from MiniDSP? If so I would be wary about using it for serious design. It will get you close, but has the potential to be off a few db here amd there, possibky affecting crossovers and other such things. IIRC, the last time I looked at any UMIK threads they were still complaining about that and some people were experiencing a rise and some a slight rolloff in the treble compared to an earthworks mic (at least I think it was). If its from CS no worries.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Yes it is.

Well that's not good. I'll have to look into that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis