My downsized 5.2 living room system

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I had until about 2 years ago, a very nice 5.1.2 system in my living room. That consisted of KEF R500 mains, R200c center, R100 bookshelf speakers as surrounds, and R50 Atmos-enabled toppers on the R500's. The sub was a solo SVS SB2000. It was nice, and the low ceiling did afford the best performance of the R50's due to the angles. None of it, short of moving a chair to the center at the end of the coffee table really sounded great due to the seating arrangement (which I do not wish to change.) Moreover, the system was easily annoying our good rent-paying tenant below.

It was all rarely used it as I'm not a movie-watcher the way my wife is. I would (and still do) enjoy an occasional music concert or similar program, so I wanted something for those times without the floorstanders and the surrounds that were just too high. (And no good lower place for them.) My wife really wouldn't use it, despite watching movies almost every night. She hated surround and subwoofers. So I sold it all off.

For me, the surround sound was missed a little, I needed something. I had got a pair of the KEF T101 speakers for surrounds and just had to drop the wires further down in the walls to get them hidden. I had slack from going to RCA wall plugs for the R100's, so that was easy. More recently, I had done the folks at KEF a huge favor and they wanted to help me out, so I accepted their gift of a pair of the larger T301's for use as main left and right. I had my local dealer order me a T301C for the center. This past Sunday my son came over and helped me get the wires into the walls, and it was NOT and easy task. On the right side, there's a stairwell behind that wall and the risers at right behind the drywall. Had to use his router to carve a groove in it, then I had to patch & paint.

All dialed in, sounds good. I now actually have a 5.2 system because there's one KEF Kube 10b sub up front and another one behind the single chair in the rear corner. Of course it doesn't have the dynamics nor sound quality of KEF R series, but it's more than adequate for my needs. My 2.1 channel music room is where I spend most of my time. :)

Living_Room_front-3.jpg
Living_Room_rear-surrounds.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
May I ask why, @Wardog555 , you felt this deserved a "dislike" (thumbs down) emoji? Do you disagree with my motives or something?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
May I ask why, @Wardog555 , you felt this deserved a "dislike" (thumbs down) emoji? Do you disagree with my motives or something?
May be he does not know how good a properly done in wall system can sound. Or just may be he thinks you have a testosterone deficiency. Who knows? Your room looks really nice, and I bet it sounds good.

Total in wall system, LCR plus sub, AVP amps and peripherals all in wall. It sounds marvelous and keeps my wife very happy.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A very nice clean install. Before I installed my new TV in the recroom, I moved the old plasma to the living room which my wife prefers for regular viewing. I have a couple of Paradigm in-walls and Canton bookshelf surrounds for the stereo, so just need to add an in-wall centre. She doesn't want a stand alone centre and it's her viewing space so she gets the call. :) I have two nice white Canton subs which I had planned to use, but space ended up being too limited. This would be a good situation for an SVS Micro or KEF Cube as she is not after floor shaking bass. It's not always about duplicating the movie theatre experience. Happy wife, happy life. :D

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
A very nice clean install. Before I installed my new TV in the recroom, I moved the old plasma to the living room which my wife prefers for regular viewing. I have a couple of Paradigm in-walls and Canton bookshelf surrounds for the stereo, so just need to add an in-wall centre. She doesn't want a stand alone centre and it's her viewing space so she gets the call. :) I have two nice white Canton subs which I had planned to use, but space ended up being too limited. This would be a good situation for an SVS Micro or KEF Cube as she is not after floor shaking bass. It's not always about duplicating the movie theatre experience. Happy wife, happy life. :D
Thank you! You are right about that last comment! It's been 42+ years for me, so it's working.

BTW, for what it's worth I have the twin Kube 10b subs and both were bought on the used market from fellow members of my KEF Enthusiasts FB Group. Recently, I installed this exact same speaker and AVR setup at a friend's home, and he chose an SVS SB3000 Micro. I truly feel that the KUBE 10b's are WAY better, though they don't have the app for setting up. Big deal, I've got them wireless with the KW-1 kits, and dialing them in once didn't hurt a bit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis