Multi Channel stereo

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Have a Denon avr x6500h that stopped playing through the front heights and side heights when in multi channel stereo mode. Speakers are active though in other modes like dts and dolby. Tried the unplug method and factory reset method using the thumb drive and it's still the same. Running a 9:1 setup. Maybe I'm missing something in set up? I don't tinker very much. It started after I ran Audyssey the last time. Thanks in advance for any replies.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did it just stop playing in those speakers? Other speakers played fine?

Did it give you any blinking lights or error codes?

Multi-channel stereo is particularly difficult for AVRs, and the more speakers you at (9!), the tougher it is going to be on the power supply of that AVR.

What happens if you try it with a much lower volume level? I really suspect that you are exceeding the capabilities of your AVR, and if you keep that up you will damage your AVR.

It may help to know what speakers you are running and what the nominal impedance rating is for your speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with Slip…
Though on SU, my experience is that it won’t fault by channel rather it will just lock everything down going into protect mode.

Why multi-channel stereo, anyway? Use the DTS:X or Dolby up mixer and enjoy it that way. (Though I’m still not a fan of upmixing stereo program, there are times it works really well.) It will also be much less taxing on your AVR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I never use multichannel stereo because I think it just sounds like crap. I can get my system to ear bleed levels with just my main 2 and subs, and preserve my soundstage and imaging. Multichannel throws sound out all over the place and starts sounding like just chaotic noise to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still, very odd for it to work when matrixing and not all ch stereo. If it happened after an Audyssey run perhaps do another, or perhaps a reset without the thumb drive (how does a reset with a thumb drive work?)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
All channel stereo might sound ok if you had all bipolar speakers…

Otherwise Dolby DSU Upmixer is the way to go.

L

Leo Shafai

Enthusiast
if you have a multimeter you could check if there is infinite resitance from positive to negative on those channels. maybe something opened or a fuse blew or something

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Still, very odd for it to work when matrixing and not all ch stereo. If it happened after an Audyssey run perhaps do another, or perhaps a reset without the thumb drive (how does a reset with a thumb drive work?)
The reset without the thumb drive did the trick. I thought about it but got lazy. Funny thing is, I was on the phone with customer service for an hour with 4 put on holds for 5 minutes while the clueless tech went to ask for help. All he did was read the troubleshooting tips from the manual. Unit still has 13 months of warranty. Thanks for prodding me to get busy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis