jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
The wife and I are thinking seriously about moving out west to either Colorado or Wyoming. I was raised in Oregon and I really miss that kind of territory. New England is nice but it is not the same.

My question is do any of you have any insight to which might be the better choice. I really want somewhere that has great fishing in the rivers and streams and easily accessed hunting areas that are not all private land. My wife is an RN, and I will be taking my registry exam in a few weeks to be a RT(R). Work should not be an issue but I realize that living near the bigger cities is going to have higher paying jobs. We have never been to either state and don't know where to begin.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Come to Texas, I can get you a job tomorrow and then start prepping you for Medical Sales, then in 5 years, you can write your ticket for any income you want.
The wife and I are thinking seriously about moving out west to either Colorado or Wyoming. I was raised in Oregon and I really miss that kind of territory. New England is nice but it is not the same.

My question is do any of you have any insight to which might be the better choice. I really want somewhere that has great fishing in the rivers and streams and easily accessed hunting areas that are not all private land. My wife is an RN, and I will be taking my registry exam in a few weeks to be a RT(R). Work should not be an issue but I realize that living near the bigger cities is going to have higher paying jobs. We have never been to either state and don't know where to begin.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Come to Texas, I can get you a job tomorrow and then start prepping you for Medical Sales, then in 5 years, you can write your ticket for any income you want.
Sounds awesome, but I moved from FL because of the heat I don't think I could take Texas. However, there are a LOT of things I like about the state.

J

just listening

Audioholic
If you want to fish then Wyoming should be your first choice. Cost of living is low, and nurses are needed everywhere.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You can stand the heat easier if your pocket is full of money...
Sounds awesome, but I moved from FL because of the heat I don't think I could take Texas. However, there are a LOT of things I like about the state.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I can sum it up here:

A big pocket, full of money...keeps you cool...:cool:

To give you a taste, Our number 1 seller has made >90k as of the end of June in commissions only...his base is >80k and the "contest" money and perks can't be beat.
Well I won't argue with that logic. Feel free to PM with details.:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can sum it up here:

To give you a taste, Our number 1 seller has made >90k as of the end of June in commissions only...his base is >80k and the "contest" money and perks can't be beat.
Cleaning up oil for BP? :D

I like parts of Tx., just not the coast and its nice humidity. Austin and Dallas are cool (as in fun, not cool) though.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Is it true that both Texas and Wyoming do not impose income tax? My friends are likely to move to Washington, and the no-tax was definitely one of the interesting perks in deciding, instead of going to Oregon.

Wyoming has some very beautiful country, but it can be damn cold in the winter. I spent a full week in Yellowstone a few years ago, and that was just amazing. Grand Teton wasn't half bad either. :D

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
my brother lives just outside denver. he says there are strange strange people there.
and he is a little strange himself (to most of you).

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Is it true that both Texas and Wyoming do not impose income tax? My friends are likely to move to Washington, and the no-tax was definitely one of the interesting perks in deciding, instead of going to Oregon.

Wyoming has some very beautiful country, but it can be damn cold in the winter. I spent a full week in Yellowstone a few years ago, and that was just amazing. Grand Teton wasn't half bad either. :D
Well not this year but last we had 35 below without a windchill. That was pretty damn cold.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Don't know who told you bout washington, but I live here, and there is stuff being taken from my paycheck. It's not called "taxes" they're just called the "firefighter's fund" or "school fund" but it's nothing like taxes at all.;)

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I can sum it up here:

looks like I'll be moving to Texas tomorrow ;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Don't know who told you bout washington, but I live here, and there is stuff being taken from my paycheck. It's not called "taxes" they're just called the "firefighter's fund" or "school fund" but it's nothing like taxes at all.;)
How are the taxes on small businesses? My friend has a small business that he would move up there with him, mostly home/internet based. Maybe that was what he was talking about.

My brother just asked me for off the cuff ideas for somewhere to live for a while, that is both beautiful and cheap. First things I thought of were Fiji, Costa Rica, and I even mentioned Wyoming. He is considering doing radiology work online for a little while, with the plan to concurrently save his money by going to a place where the cost of living is very low. He can work from anywhere if he chooses this path, and in fact work would be easier if the time change is significant. He would be required to have at least two different internet connections. However, if in WY, he could just open a practice instead and make a lot more money that way.

We both know that different states will try to make up for a low tax somewhere, with a higher tax elsewhere. But if he doesn't spend any money, he will get hit less with those other higher taxes, while being able to save more. Really though, I think cost of living is the biggest key for building a big nest egg, assuming the work is steady.

Regarding WY being cold, my friend went to school in Laramie, and he said it was very cold. At the opposite corner of the state where I visited Yellowstone/GT, it was July, and the road was just* opened. When I woke, and grabbed my shoes outside of the tent, they were frosted over every morning. While the altitude was relatively high, this was still on a volcanic caldera. Anyways, just something to consider, for sure.

majorloser

majorloser

How 'bout we both move to Oregon?

Find a couple nice spreads outside of Bend or Sisters. :rolleyes:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Hey now, you didn't offer me a job the other day :O

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't recommend moving to texas if you are trying to avoid the heat

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
They don't take too kind to Mac lovin' hippies in Texas. :)

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
How are the taxes on small businesses?...
The taxes are actually quite reasonable. There was a bar that was for sale for $45,000 with all updated equipment, tables, games, etc... and I was researching taxes and such. It really depends on if you have a building, and where it's located, or if you are running the business out of your garage/ living room/ etc. For the area I was looking at, it was around 8% for property and 6% for the rest (about) plus a few other licensing fees etc...

I was going to do it, but my research concluded that it's really hard to buy a small business from someone else and make it successful.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Being in Colorado, coming from Texas, I will take CO anyday! Too damned hot in TX. The lack of actual seasons in CO does stink quite a bit though (2 ft. of snow one day, all melted and 65 degrees the next. Blizzards in June. Heatwaves in November. It's crazy)

Wyoming has excellent deer, elk and bird hunting, but I will definitely have to say that CO has it beat with stream fishing.

Depends on how far you want to be from other people as well. WY is vary sparse. CO is fairly crowded comparatively, which increases the housing cost considerably. But Denver is a great city, extremely close to more outdoor activities than you can imagine, that's why I love it here.
(and to hunt public lands, WY is barely more than an hour drive)

J

just listening

Audioholic
Reason why taxes are so low in Wyoming is all the coal and natural gas fields that are being used. The royalties being collected by the state are large. The key is being able to enjoy living a simpler life and accepting that services are limited.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis