Movie Collection to HTPC

J

jotham

Audioholic
Am I reading this correctly: stablebit will automatically duplicate folders on separate drives. If I wanted 100% file redundancy I would need a full 2x the number of storage drives?
If you choose to have a folder duplicated, it will ensure that every file in that folder exists on two separate hard drives. The files will be stored in an NTFS format so you could manually verify that the same file exists in two places (but it will feel like a single file from the user perspective). That means that you have to have at least two hard drives for that functionality.

It is true that you will be eating up twice the space for each file saved so similar in some ways to a RAID 1 configuration. On the upside, it can use different sized disks and you can bring them in and out of the storage pool with little hassle. If you've ever had a RAID 1 setup where one drive goes down and you try to incorporate a different sized drive into the array, it can be a hassle.

Given the relatively low prices of hard drives nowadays, I'm pretty comfortable with needing twice the storage space for each file.

You can configure on a folder level which data you want duplicated or not, and you can change your mind easily. For example, most of my movies were just a single copy but at some point, I decided that I had put enough effort into ripping them that I would be peeved if a disk failed. So, I turned on duplication for that particular folder and hours later, they were all taken care of.

Jotham

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, I think I've decided on Windows Server 2012 Essentials. It has every feature I could want and then some. Anyone here have any experience with it? I've got it up and running, I'm just in the configuration process (lots to do there) and it seems pretty sweet.

Packerfan

Packerfan

Audiophyte
oh, i definitely agree something is seriously wrong with it, and i'm not the only one with the problem?

DVD Ripper Audio out of sync - DVDFab Forum

i counted once and a full 30% (!) of all my dvd rips had serious audio sync issues, and i'm talking about the audio track being off by seconds (the scene is over before the dialog stops type of things). it only happens with dvd's and i rip in mkv passthrough only. been happening through at least 10 updates now, and as i said, i gave up using it as makemkv works much better for free.
I'm using AppGeeker DVD Ripper to decrypt and copy DVD to my hard drive and then convert it to common format, never had audio sync issues.

How to Rip DVD to MP4 on Mac/PC with Quality Lossless

However, it does 1:1 filesize rips, so if the DVd is 4.5GB, the video will be that big. you can shrink the file by set the output bitrate/size manually but it would lost some of quality.

saywhat

saywhat

Enthusiast
i use plex to play my videos and drobo to store it all.
I have two drobos each maxed out with 4 4th hard drives for a total of 32 tb of drive space. Drobo eats up alot of that space for backing up and saving your data in case of a bad crash or a hard drive going bad but its so worth it when it happens as I just take out the bad drive pop in a new one and it recreates itself on the new drive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis