F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I've mentioned this before. I have asked several people in the electronics field and the general response is that jitter is a marketing tool. In general, a single clock controlling the data stream is the preferred approach in order to AVOID TIMING ERRORS.

This is the opinion of professors at the local community college. When I asked TLS the same question, I got the same answer. And, it does make sense too.

Crossedover: Thanks for posting the link to the paper. I'll give that a read when I have time.
Im saying what you are mostly: POST PRODUCTION, no jitter can be removed with any equipment, PRE PRODUCTION jitter can be dealt with and while mostly inaudible, there are cases where it is and will be audible. Most recording equipment have excellent internal clocks, but if your recording off a large board and several mics(especially when piano is involved ) a individual unit with a good clock is required. Have you ever heard a bad recording? Sometimes jitter could be an issue in that recording (again especially with a piano and harp , they will have a tinny unfull incomplete sound)
I've heard lots of bad recordings but I wasn't hearing jitter. I provided some information. No point in my repeating it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The product here is clearly intended for post production which makes this unit, nothing but a fraudulent piece of crap designed to suck more money out the gullible. Is this not so?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
The product here is clearly intended for post production which makes this unit, nothing but a fraudulent piece of crap designed to suck more money out the gullible. Is this not so?
Yes consumer snake oil :)

While I dont believe in jitter removal post production, it can and is audible at times. The two videos below are some nice explanations (although PS Audio touts their products as an improvement but not in the videos)

http://www.jitter.de/english/soundfr.html

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The difference is our group determined that jitter is not audible until it gets in into the millisecond realm. We did that with bias controlled comparisons. Jitter in the nanosecond range isn't audible despite what this fellow believes. He, you, I and everyone else suffers from hearing bias. It is human nature. Sorry I couldn't watch the video. We don't have enough bandwidth out here in the country to watch internet videos.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just like my stance on shielded RCA cables in another thread: I don't correct a problem that does not exist in my system.

When I personally hear a problem, then I worry about correcting it and spending $ if needed. If I don't personally hear a problem, then that $ is better spent in a different hobby.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The difference is our group determined that jitter is not audible until it gets in into the millisecond realm. We did that with bias controlled comparisons. Jitter in the nanosecond range isn't audible despite what this fellow believes. He, you, I and everyone else suffers from hearing bias. It is human nature. Sorry I couldn't watch the video. We don't have enough bandwidth out here in the country to watch internet videos.
He MUST know what he's talking about- he has test equipment with blinky lights and pointy bits, used for probing parts of the circuits that our fingers shouldn't touch. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Another snakeoil product....

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/916-audioquest-jitterbug-usb-noise-filter

The conclusion made politically correct yet relevant..
Finally, I deployed JitterBugs in other network locations. I plugged one into the USB jack on the front panel of my Ayre DX-5DSD (intended for the playing of files from memory sticks), and one into my network’s remote Synology NAS. I was never able to conclusively identify any positive sonic difference, but as I also heard no degradation of the sound, this is an area where further experimentation may make sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis