BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Audiophool and his money are soon parted

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Re-Clocker?

That's about as useful to me as a decocker.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Jitter and clock have been at the issue of debate of high end recorders and players for quite sometime. Recording engineers will till you that its imperative. Might not be needed under most conditions, but pure snake oil nah. They are just looking to increase sales with the "golden ears". No different than a $3500 streaming player from many manufactures

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One word - "Async"
Only real jitter is one you get from too much coffee/redbull

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I think the reclocker works better you put a Shun Muk disk on each corner of your amplifier. ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think the reclocker works better you put a Shun Muk disk on each corner of your amplifier. ;)
Nah, I just put the big rocks I found in a field on top of mine. It mares up the finish a bit and leaves large dents, but it gives me that heavy presence I long for.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Guess Im the only one to see a possible benefit... and not that wouldnt turn my speakers to gold

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Guess Im the only one to see a possible benefit... and not that wouldnt turn my speakers to gold
The reason it is not beneficial is that jitter, at the levels encountered in audio, is not audible. So reclocking is also inaudible.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
The reason it is not beneficial is that jitter, at the levels encountered in audio, is not audible. So reclocking is also inaudible.
Get it... but my importance factor for engineers stand. If you can disprove that, its all good but as mentioned there is a need.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
From the recording side if jitter is present it cannot be removed post production, therefore reduction prior is needed. Depending on the studio set up and recorded material/instruments jitter can be audible.

http://www.nanophon.com/audio/jitter92.pdf

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
From the recording side if jitter is present it cannot be removed post production, therefore reduction prior is needed. Depending on the studio set up and recorded material/instruments jitter can be audible.

http://www.nanophon.com/audio/jitter92.pdf
I understand what jitter is. My comment was that it is not audible. Your post doesn't say anything but that jitter is not a problem in home audio equipment (read conclusion.)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Jitter in today's equipment is just a fallacy that the industry made up to fleece more money from the gullible audiophile in the same vane as esoteric cables and interconnects.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Jitter in today's equipment is just a fallacy that the industry made up to fleece more money from the gullible audiophile in the same vane as esoteric cables and interconnects.
I understand what jitter is. My comment was that it is not audible. Your post doesn't say anything but that jitter is not a problem in home audio equipment (read conclusion.)
My entire point isn't home audio, but audio production, engineering. As I stated no equipment can remove jitter post production, therefore the statements made still have merit. I linked the AES paper for those whom do not understand jitter and how it works

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've mentioned this before. I have asked several people in the electronics field and the general response is that jitter is a marketing tool. In general, a single clock controlling the data stream is the preferred approach in order to AVOID TIMING ERRORS.

This is the opinion of professors at the local community college. When I asked TLS the same question, I got the same answer. And, it does make sense too.

Crossedover: Thanks for posting the link to the paper. I'll give that a read when I have time.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My entire point isn't home audio, but audio production, engineering. As I stated no equipment can remove jitter post production, therefore the statements made still have merit. I linked the AES paper for those whom do not understand jitter and how it works
Removing jitter in post production is not important because it isn't audible. Jitter is something that never gets beyond the measurable stage. You can measure it but you can't hear it because it is in the nanosecond range in audio. It is not audible. Not at all. Not even a little. Those who believe that it is audible wouldn't consider the reclocker to be snake oil. But I would.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Removing jitter in post production is not important because it isn't audible. Jitter is something that never gets beyond the measurable stage. You can measure it but you can't hear it because it is in the nanosecond range in audio. It is not audible. Not at all. Not even a little. Those who believe that it is audible wouldn't consider the reclocker to be snake oil. But I would.
Im saying what you are mostly: POST PRODUCTION, no jitter can be removed with any equipment, PRE PRODUCTION jitter can be dealt with and while mostly inaudible, there are cases where it is and will be audible. Most recording equipment have excellent internal clocks, but if your recording off a large board and several mics(especially when piano is involved ) a individual unit with a good clock is required. Have you ever heard a bad recording? Sometimes jitter could be an issue in that recording (again especially with a piano and harp , they will have a tinny unfull incomplete sound)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis