Monoprice New Sub $103

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
cued cabinet black oak, 12" 150w with high levels ins and outs, the makings of a nice 2.1 PC sub....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wonder if it can compete with the entry level BIC and Dayton subs. We should start a pool to send these budget subs to Josh Ricci, I think that would help out a lot more people than when he is reviewing these high end subs.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder if it can compete with the entry level BIC and Dayton subs. We should start a pool to send these budget subs to Josh Ricci, I think that would help out a lot more people than when he is reviewing these high end subs.
Or theJman, he writes pretty darn nice subwoofer reviews as well.

or Adam or PBC or Eugovector

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
I look at it from a different perspective. If I am looking at spending $x,xxx I am very curious about the specifics. I want to see charts, see the components, and have some way to objectively compare items.

At $103, I am more interested in: Does it work, what kind of connections does it have, does it sound ok subjectively?

As such, I think Josh's talents would be wasted on subs like this.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I look at it from a different perspective. If I am looking at spending $x,xxx I am very curious about the specifics. I want to see charts, see the components, and have some way to objectively compare items.

At $103, I am more interested in: Does it work, what kind of connections does it have, does it sound ok subjectively?

As such, I think Josh's talents would be wasted on subs like this.
The thing is $103 may not be a lot to you, but it is a lot to others, and I see plenty of posts asking which is better, the BIC f12 pr Dayton 1200 and so on. There are a lot more people on the market for 100 and 200 dollar subs than one or two thousand dollar subs, and I empathize with them. These people don't have a lot of money so they want to make sure they can get the most for their dollar that they can afford. They have just as much of a right for an informed choice as someone who has the good fortune of deciding between high end Velodyne, JL Audio, and Paradigm subs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Being totally analytical:
For each $1000+ sub sold, there are probably hundreds of $100+ subs sold.
You can calculate the relative benefit of a review as:

(number of buyers) X (cost of the sub) = relative benefit of review

I'd bet you get bigger numbers with the $100-200 BIC, etc.

Audioholics is pretty unique in reviewing low dollar items. It doesn't have the glamor factor.

"The best sub I've ever heard" can mean about anything from a random forum member.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
"The best sub I've ever heard" can mean about anything from a random forum member.
Doesn't mean a whole lot in any case given how much the room impacts the equation. That's why I love me some Josh Ricci measurements :D

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
My last thought is, sure, more $100 subs get sold than $1,000 subs do. But, how many of those $100 sub buyers actually research the item beyond a blurb? Some do, yes, but all of them? I'd venture to guess many don't go to forums, read technical reviews, or agonize much over a sub in this price range. where as people looking at $500, or $1,000 or more, probably spend a good amount of time weighing their options and objective results will be more appreciated.

I'm not saying people in ~$100-$200 price range shouldn't be able to find reviews on products, or that only megabuck items should be reviewed. What I am saying is, if a site like Audioholics is rationing its resources, and can only send a few subs a year to Josh for review, I'd rather see Josh review more capable subs. This is already the case, as Josh/Audioholics have reviewed less expensive but still capable subs from several ID's. But I don't think we need to see the compression curves and group delay on what will end up being a computer sub in a 2nd/3rd/4th system for most of the people on this site.

Really, would you rather see the $103 Monoprice subs tested instead of say, a JTR Captivator S2? Or the new PSA XS15?

Some will. That's fine, I'll just agree to disagree. I mean no offense, just my $.02

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I strongly disagree with the above post. I have seen more properly set up low end systems than high end ones. There are people of all budgets that want to get the most out of their systems, and similarly for people who just buy "something".

G

Grador

On a side note, reviews of really good components are kinda boring. The good component is really good! Surprised? I find it more interesting to see what tradeoffs lower end things make and how well they stack up.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I would love to see reviews of the awesome units from Seaton/JTR. I would also love to see reviews of the dirt cheap stuff :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My last thought is, sure, more $100 subs get sold than $1,000 subs do. But, how many of those $100 sub buyers actually research the item beyond a blurb? Some do, yes, but all of them? I'd venture to guess many don't go to forums, read technical reviews, or agonize much over a sub in this price range. where as people looking at $500, or $1,000 or more, probably spend a good amount of time weighing their options and objective results will be more appreciated.

I'm not saying people in ~$100-$200 price range shouldn't be able to find reviews on products, or that only megabuck items should be reviewed. What I am saying is, if a site like Audioholics is rationing its resources, and can only send a few subs a year to Josh for review, I'd rather see Josh review more capable subs. This is already the case, as Josh/Audioholics have reviewed less expensive but still capable subs from several ID's. But I don't think we need to see the compression curves and group delay on what will end up being a computer sub in a 2nd/3rd/4th system for most of the people on this site.

Really, would you rather see the $103 Monoprice subs tested instead of say, a JTR Captivator S2? Or the new PSA XS15?

Some will. That's fine, I'll just agree to disagree. I mean no offense, just my $.02
No offense taken (by me anyway)!

Just be honest - you want the subs you are interested in to be reviewed.
I want the same thing for myself (which would put the subs in the $800 to $1200 range).
Google BIC subwoofer and forum to see how many discussions are on these inexpensive models.
Many of the guys here have subs they are content with (at least this week) and would like to know they are giving good guidance to noob's trying to get the best 5.1 setup (AVR and speakers) for $1000.
For someone making $10/hour (150% of minimum wage) that is about 130 hours of labor (after taxes) and they are probably very concerned in getting the best they can for their dollar.
I agree there are many who go into Best Buy, tell them what they can spend then buy whatever the salesman wants to sell him. That is probably not because they don't care so much; but because they actually believe the BB sales guy is knowledgeable and acting in their best interest (to be fair, some are).

I would love to see some $100-$200 subs tested. For one thing it would be good to know what improvements spending $300-400 or $600-700 is buying.
If I want a setup in my small office, can I get good sound quality out of a $100-200 sub, knowing I will only listen at 70dB?

So we'll have to agree to disagree, but hopefully you see that while $100 might be an impulse buy for some, it is an important decision for others!

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I would love to see reviews of the awesome units from Seaton/JTR. I would also love to see reviews of the dirt cheap stuff :D
Agree; it's not a one or the other proposition, ie JTR S2 or Monoprice subwoofer.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On a side note, reviews of really good components are kinda boring. The good component is really good! Surprised? I find it more interesting to see what tradeoffs lower end things make and how well they stack up.
Good point! I was surprised and almost disappointed with how uniformly well the subs in the Big 2011 sub shoot-out did! At the ~$1500 price-point you were pretty much guaranteed competent performance. At $100 you have subs that were actually engineered and subs that a company made cough!(Polk)cough! because they knew they would easily sell as a match with their speakers.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Good point! I was surprised and almost disappointed with how uniformly well the subs in the Big 2011 sub shoot-out did! At the ~$1500 price-point you were pretty much guaranteed competent performance. At $100 you have subs that were actually engineered and subs that a company made cough!(Polk)cough! because they knew they would easily sell as a match with their speakers.
I can "design" and (attempt to) sell a sub-par performing subwoofer for $1500 if that would please you :p

ahblaza

ahblaza

Attention

I didn't realize my post would draw this much attention, especially from the naysayers:D Everyone else seemed to appreciate this $100 wonder, I know I did.:) I scour the internet looking for deals for the novice, so we can discuss and reco the product(s) to those so inclined. I am happy to see discussion of so called bargain basement stuff, I just don't agree on the basement part. Did anyone notice the weight of the mono sub, I thought I saw 9.7kg.
Cheers and keep sharing, interesting topic. Thanks.:)
Jeff

PS...I know with Monoprice if you persist you will get prepaid return shipping labels if not satisfied with your purchase.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can "design" and (attempt to) sell a sub-par performing subwoofer for $1500 if that would please you :p
Lol, expensive, underperforming subs are a crowded market. Look at all these high end speaker makers who make $1k+ subs that is simply an over-powered sealed 10". Dynaudio, PSB, B&W, Rel, McIntosh, etc. Just take a look through Audiogon's subwoofer section, some of these companies should be embarrassed, "smaller woofers are faster!", what BS.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Lol, expensive, underperforming subs are a crowded market. Look at all these high end speaker makers who make $1k+ subs that is simply an over-powered sealed 10". Dynaudio, PSB, B&W, Rel, McIntosh, etc. Just take a look through Audiogon's subwoofer section, some of these companies should be embarrassed, "smaller woofers are faster!", what BS.
"smaller woofers are faster" #2 myth IICR;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
cued cabinet black oak, 12" 150w with high levels ins and outs, the makings of a nice 2.1 PC sub....
That is a really rare feature at this price (and not that common at any price)!
That makes this one of few subs available to someone with an old (pre sub-out) stereo that wants to experiment with adding an inexpensive sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis