Modernizing an old 1940's Radio

P

Plunderage

Audiophyte
Hi, i'm new here and hope this is in the right section. Please just hear me out though i could use some help. I want to restore an old radio and also modernize it. I can do the restoration part, but i am less knowledgeable on modernizing it. I basically want to have the ability for a usb slot (i would prefer 2 one for an ipod dock and one to allow an android phone or other device user to charge their device while using the aux cord), an aux cord, and obviously the ability to listen to the radio. I just need to figure out some of the specifics, any help is appreciated. Here's a list of my ideas:

- 2x 6" speakers

- 1x 4" sub

- and then i really just need help with some sort of head unit that would recognize usb's and have an aux input and of course radio. the problem is how to wire this together and what type of head unit to use??

Thanks so much, even if you could just point me toward a good head unit for the situation or something i should be able to figure out the rest, Thanks!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
b
Hi, i'm new here and hope this is in the right section. Please just hear me out though i could use some help. I want to restore an old radio and also modernize it. I can do the restoration part, but i am less knowledgeable on modernizing it. I basically want to have the ability for a usb slot (i would prefer 2 one for an ipod dock and one to allow an android phone or other device user to charge their device while using the aux cord), an aux cord, and obviously the ability to listen to the radio. I just need to figure out some of the specifics, any help is appreciated. Here's a list of my ideas:

- 2x 6" speakers

- 1x 4" sub

- and then i really just need help with some sort of head unit that would recognize usb's and have an aux input and of course radio. the problem is how to wire this together and what type of head unit to use??

Thanks so much, even if you could just point me toward a good head unit for the situation or something i should be able to figure out the rest, Thanks!!
You are winding us up. Right!

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Funny I stumbled across this thread...But I modernized a bakelite radio set (2 radios) to play music off my phone via pandora. It cost me a whopping total of $50.00 (including the radios, paint, etc...) Mine is super simple and I just disassembled some computer speakers w/sub for it.

Started with this:

1948 Arkay Build-it-yourself type tube radio.
The board was fried and none of the tubes lit. $15.00 on Ebay.

Took it apart to "hot rod" it. Sanded with 220, then 400 (wear a mask) bakelite is part formaldahyde...

Dust coated about 5 coats of hard white gloss.

Cleaned up the little display pieces and knobs:

And then cleared, waxed, and assembled

Then I destroyed some radioshack computer speakers, which were about $20 and came with a subwoofer. They were perfect.

And then ordered the "sub" off ebay. A 1951 Airline Montgomery Wards radio, also in bad shape.

Pulled the face plate out, and removed the burned up tube holder with cut wires everywhere (mess)

I wrapped black fabric around it, then added some car molding trim, that you can get from pep boys, around the dial and across.

And painted the cabinet classic red

SOme quick 12v led backlighting:

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Then cut a hole where the speaker was originally, and put some of the tubes on a wood block behind it, and set blue led's behind them:

I thought it looked interesting.

Ignore the warped trim, I fixed that right after...

BOught some ABS from a warehouse in town and made a frame for the speakers, and a backing:

The subwoofer I just glued inside the red radio. Assembled both and adjusted the volume knob on the Arkay to work with the amplifier from the speakers. Then I added Pandora to the mix, turned on the 1950's rock station, and to my great satisfaction, it sounds ancient and plastic-y and distant, much like an "old" radio would be with terrible speaker vents. I love it.

Now I'm just waiting on an old 1940's TV tuner to arrive in the mail, (also baklite) which will be a more involved project of turning it into a media receiver (think boxee) or something of the like.

Last edited:
M

Motorcityguy

Audiophyte
LED Dial

Then cut a hole where the speaker was originally, and put some of the tubes on a wood block behind it, and set blue led's behind them:

I thought it looked interesting.

Ignore the warped trim, I fixed that right after...

BOught some ABS from a warehouse in town and made a frame for the speakers, and a backing:

The subwoofer I just glued inside the red radio. Assembled both and adjusted the volume knob on the Arkay to work with the amplifier from the speakers. Then I added Pandora to the mix, turned on the 1950's rock station, and to my great satisfaction, it sounds ancient and plastic-y and distant, much like an "old" radio would be with terrible speaker vents. I love it.

Now I'm just waiting on an old 1940's TV tuner to arrive in the mail, (also baklite) which will be a more involved project of turning it into a media receiver (think boxee) or something of the like.
I liked how you created the LED backlit dial, could you please go into more detail as to how you did it? Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis