Me, Now That Ebola Has Come To USA

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Outbreak movie 1995
Outbreak (1995) - IMDb

i thought back then, "they should be making vaccines by now ... "

19 years ... and the movie is still my reference "virus" movie.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I read this book way back. This is just the kind of sh!t that happens when you mess with monkeys. Just sayin'.
Especially if you eat them!

Seriously we have to do better.

Once there is a case we need a specially equipped and staffed ambulance. In Dallas we had a contact under monitoring turn up in a clinic and then an emergency room! Any contact who gets a fever, should be told to call 911 and ask to be picked up by an ambulance with isolation procedures and taken into isolation for assessment.

If we keep this fiasco up we will sleepwalk to disaster, like seems to be happening in Spain.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
All this talk about screening, what a bunch of BS; more about keeping the populace calm than anything else. You want to reassure me, deploy UV cleaners to every airport. Those machines are capable of wiping out Ebola within a minute or two with pulses of UV light.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Ebola is not new. I seem to remember hearing about it for years. For something that causes the concern and resources now launched after one guy comes to the US with it, why are we still in the experimental phase for treatment, vaccine or a cure? With periodic outbreaks in Africa for years, was it really a stretch to imagine one day it would come here, or London, or Hong Kong, etc?
As far as I heard ebola appeared the first time something like 40 years ago, there has never been these large outbreaks as it has previously mainly been centered around very scarcely populated areas, so in the end it stops by itself.

The difference this time is that infected people went to main cities, where it's much easier to spread...

This is very scary but as long as it's not airborne (hope it will stay like this) it's possible to protect yourself.

There's also one infected patient at hospital in Oslo, a Norwegian doctor that got infected while helping people somewhere in one of the infected areas somewhere in West Africa....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I seem to remember it being way more lethal than 50%.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
As far as I heard ebola appeared the first time something like 40 years ago, there has never been these large outbreaks as it has previously mainly been centered around very scarcely populated areas, so in the end it stops by itself.
Are we talking about Ebola or AIDS?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Are we talking about Ebola or AIDS?
Ebola !!!!!!

The first known outbreak of Ebola virus disease (EVD), was identified only after the fact, occurring between June and November 1976 in Nzara, South Sudan......

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
A Dr in NYC has it. Rode 2 subways and went bowling the night before he decided he was sick. He worked with Doctors Without Borders, treating people with Ebola in Africa. Came home. Felt "fatigued". Didn't turn himself in until his fever went up.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Great. Now everyone's gonna freak when someone sneezes in the subway. :eek:

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Now 2 governors, New York & New Jersey, have implemented a mandatory 21-day quarantine in their states for health care workers who have been with Ebola patients. So I guess it's up to each state to handle as they see fit.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When their airports handle such a massive influx of overseas passengers, it's better to be safe than sorry.

c.coyle

c.coyle

Audioholic Intern
The African response to Ebola. Disturbing.
This is what one would expect, given the state of political, economic, and educational affairs in many African countries. However, Nigeria has stopped Ebola dead in its tracks. Being a newbie here, I can't post a link yet, but just search Google News.

Just an observation: For all the agitation to "do something" or "do something more" about Ebola, a grand total of two (2) humans have so far contracted the disease on U.S. soil. Both of them had intentionally and directly exposed themselves to persons already infected.

This is not to suggest that we should ignore the potential harm, but to put it in perspective. Conservatively, 8,800 Americans alone died in the 2009 H1N1 Flu Pandemic, about 200,000 worldwide.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This is what one would expect, given the state of political, economic, and educational affairs in many African countries. However, Nigeria has stopped Ebola dead in its tracks. Being a newbie here, I can't post a link yet, but just search Google News.

Just an observation: For all the agitation to "do something" or "do something more" about Ebola, a grand total of two (2) humans have so far contracted the disease on U.S. soil. Both of them had intentionally and directly exposed themselves to persons already infected.

This is not to suggest that we should ignore the potential harm, but to put it in perspective. Conservatively, 8,800 Americans alone died in the 2009 H1N1 Flu Pandemic, about 200,000 worldwide.
I still run into people with "Ebola-itis" (usually caused by watching too much cable TV news). If they rant and rave about the slow development of an Ebola vaccine, I ask them if they've gotten this year's flu vaccine yet.

Ebola this year has infected 13,567 and killed 4,951, as of Oct. 31st (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_epidemic_in_West_Africa).

In contrast, the 2009/10 H1N1 Flu killed somewhere between 105,700-395,600 worldwide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza).

The Ebola death rate seems to be dropping from well over 50% to 36% according to the latest reports.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis