Me, Now That Ebola Has Come To USA

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Do we need a space suit? or are we cool?

Pic related.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not worried about it until it becomes airborne :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Great, we've finally got our own patient zero. I've read that they already know five people who have come into contact with the guy between the time the hospital released him with antibiotics and he returned because he was getting worse. Now, who did THEY come into contact with?

On a positive note, I read that some pharmaceutical stocks shot up on this news.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One of our friends is a Virologist, and this is the sort of thing she works on. We'll hang out with her :D

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
They are saying today that there may be up to 80 people that had at least casual contact with him. Now they also say that you cannot transmit the disease until you start showing symptoms which is called A-symptomatic so the number of people that would be is more than likely much less.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, it's 3rd hand info at this point, so take it with a grain of salt.

But, rumor is that he actually vomited in the ambulance on the way to the hospital the 2nd time. Of course the first responders had no idea that he was carrying ebola, so no extra precautions were taken at that time.

Hopefully, it's just a rumor.....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well, it's 3rd hand info at this point, so take it with a grain of salt.

But, rumor is that he actually vomited in the ambulance on the way to the hospital the 2nd time. Of course the first responders had no idea that he was carrying ebola, so no extra precautions were taken at that time.

Hopefully, it's just a rumor.....
Whether its rumor or true, those EMTs on the ambulance are on the list of nearly 100 people (and climbing) who might have been exposed. Watching them closely for symptoms and/or keeping them at home for 21 days should work.

This is precisely what didn't happen in West Africa, and is the reason why ebola spread so rapidly once it hit more populous areas. All the previous ebola outbreaks were limited to small rural villages.

At present, there is no pharmaceutical treatment or cure for ebola. But if infected patients are given effective life support (iv fluids, oxygen, etc.) they can survive the infection. But it is essential that these patients be isolated while they are infected.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
No that doesn't help at all :(. But denial, panic, and superstition are easily found anywhere. Kind of like the vaccine refusers in the USA.

Vaccination refusals a growing trend in affluent Southern California - CBS News

I can only hope that ebola in the USA makes people demand a vaccine – soon.

Any politician who tries to make political football out of ebola should be required to mop up ebola patient vomit & diarrhea without any gloves.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can thank the hospital for this one if there is an outbreak. When he first went in and told them he had been to West Africa and was sick, they gave him antibiotics and sent him home. GREAT IDEA.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You can thank the hospital for this one if there is an outbreak. When he first went in and told them he had been to West Africa and was sick, they gave him antibiotics and sent him home. GREAT IDEA.
I would imagine someone working in that ER got yelled at. Or worse… got the mop & bucket detail for a week the "Human Effluvia Isolation Ward".

I can forgive them if this outbreak stays contained.

What would be worse? Sharks with frickin' Ebola :eek:.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
SWERD:

Yeah, the EMTs are now all under house-quarantine. But, they didn't realize they were dealing with ebola, then the next people in the ambulances were also at risk. And, the EMTs actually made it home before they were notified of the ebola threat.....so now their entire families are quarantined!!!

Yeah, about that politician comment, you know that Governor (Good-hair) Rick Perry is just trying to figure out how to turn this into a freaking political issue to use for ammo for his next presidential campaign. It probably has something to do with our unsecured Mexican border :rolleyes: I hope Perry will take the higher ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if he blames it on Obama.

And, yes, Sharkbola!!! I need to copywrite this title now :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, the EMTs are now all under house-quarantine. But, they didn't realize they were dealing with ebola, then the next people in the ambulances were also at risk. And, the EMTs actually made it home before they were notified of the ebola threat.....so now their entire families are quarantined!!!
Those EMTs probably have been exposed. But apparently, they have no symptoms (yet?), and cannot produce infectious viral particles until they do have symptoms. So their family might only be on a watch list and shouldn't have to be quarantined… yet.

Yeah, about that politician comment, you know that Governor (Good-hair) Rick Perry is just trying to figure out how to turn this into a freaking political issue to use for ammo for his next presidential campaign. It probably has something to do with our unsecured Mexican border :rolleyes: I hope Perry will take the higher ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if he blames it on Obama.
I saw those photos of Perry lurking in the background at the hospital press conference. So far, one could say he is just doing his job as governor during a possible public health crisis. If he's smart, he'd keep his mouth shut. If he sounds off and tries to politicize this, I hope the press ask him how that big wall he wants along the Mexico boarder would keep out airplanes coming from elsewhere in the US.

Apparently others, such as Rand Paul, can't wait while Perry gets the spotlight. Get the mops & buckets, I think I've found the first volunteer.

And, yes, Sharkbola!!! I need to copywrite this title now :D
Someone in Hollywood is already at work on the movie :rolleyes:.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
On a positive note, I read that some pharmaceutical stocks shot up on this news.
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is said to be working on an ebola vaccine. If it works at all, it will probably be fast-tracked by the FDA and used asap.

Edit: I'd bet the Sharkbola movie makes more money than a vaccine.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think at least a third of the population should hide in root cellars until the news media stops talking about ebola, so traffic thins out a bit for my evening commute.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is said to be working on an ebola vaccine. If it works at all, it will probably be fast-tracked by the FDA and used asap.

Edit: I'd bet the Sharkbola movie makes more money than a vaccine.
Yeah, I heard that's the commercial version, one for non-civilian already exists.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This is really sad and scary. This virus is very dangerous.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
News this morning said the guy's family in Texas is now under armed guard because they tried to run after being quarantined in their home. And the guy himself lied at Customs, saying he had no contact w/ anybody infected. Actually, he carried infected and dying people to a hospital.

Who the heck are these people? Why aren't we seeing some detailed investigation about them? Knowingly trying to subvert containment precautions with a high likelihood of starting an epidemic in the US? They should be locked up in a cave somewhere in the desert. They are not nice people to be pitied.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis