MAXIMIZING THE USEFULNESS OF A HOME THEATER WITH 2 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You have to watch out for the Audioholics brute squad, they are notorious. I try to stay clear of them, or else they take my lunch money. Uh oh, here they come now! I'm outta here!
Got that right shady! Me, n tha brute squad gonna round you up! Partner....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
POGRE SMASH! HE IS THE STRONGEST THERE IS!

Brute squad... Ha ha! Because I pointed out your linked reference had nothing to do with your post? lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
POGRE SMASH! HE IS THE STRONGEST THERE IS!

Brute squad... Ha ha! Because I pointed out your linked reference had nothing to do with your post? lol
Pogre smash!!!! Love it...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
The OP has had numerous chances to have a good discussion on what he feels is an enhancement but fails to deliver any technical problem in need of his "solution".

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The OP has had numerous chances to have a good discussion on what he feels is an enhancement but fails to deliver any technical problem in need of his "solution".
Agreed. And not only chances, but invitations. Also, no technical details of the MAXIMIZATION. The reason the thread went quiet was he's probably spent the last month looking for some support of the USEFULNESS, only to come up with the link that pogre, pogresmashed. Every time I post in this thread I tell myself I'm done.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Agreed. And not only chances, but invitations. Also, no technical details of the MAXIMIZATION. The reason the thread went quiet was he's probably spent the last month looking for some support of the USEFULNESS, only to come up with the link that pogre, pogresmashed. Every time I post in this thread I tell myself I'm done.
As do I, probably for the snippets of wit that people post. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You "select few" need to stop cluttering the thread. You're making it more difficult for others to understand the idea. This thread got buried back on the 3rd or 4th page of this forum, but once it got back on the front page it generated a couple hundred views within just a day or two.
No, you need to actually provide something of value. This weird center channel bullshit is way out of the line of usefulness.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just because you had an idea and came up with this convoluted way to wire it up does not mean it was a good idea. You like it, great, but don't try to pass it off as some kind of benefit just because you got sound out of it.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Just because you had an idea and came up with this convoluted way to wire it up does not mean it was a good idea. You like it, great, but don't try to pass it off as some kind of benefit just because you got sound out of it.
My 1938 Zenith 12S267 plays AM radio with extreme power (for that time period), maybe I should buy 5 of them for AM surround sound, now that would kick arse!! Anybody got 20 grand so I can get 3 more? :D

Imagine this beast all around the room, woot woot!!

12S267.JPG

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My 1938 Zenith 12S267 plays AM radio with extreme power (for that time period), maybe I should buy 5 of them for AM surround sound, now that would kick arse!! Anybody got 20 grand so I can get 3 more? :D

Imagine this beast all around the room, woot woot!!

View attachment 21395
Sweet radio.

To the OP. I'm not sure how I keep coming to these threads late, but I'm here now and I've not posted a thing so maybe you can answer my questions in a clear and concise manner that doesn't refer me back to the OP. The OP isn't as clear as you think it is. I have to write extremely technical documents in a way someone with little to no knowledge of the subject can understand it. I do it for a living. That's what I'm asking you to do.

I don't understand the purpose of a 2 channel speaker setup inside of another 2 channel setup. You say that there are benefits. What are they? Intimate is not a benefit when it comes to sound unless you mean to say you get REALLY close to your TV/Screen for some reason.

The other question. Have you ever tried a single center channel speaker? Specifically your bookshelf speaker in a vertical position?

Are you matrixing all of your material? (using dolby pro logic II, DTS Neo 6, etc). Are you just using stereo/direct mode for stereo sources and letting the receiver decode 5.1+ mixes and using the two center speakers as one?

I'd also like to know what model of receiver and speakers you are using. Pictures would also be a nice touch.

If you want people to take your idea seriously you have to explain it as you would to someone who has ZERO concept of what you are doing and why you are doing it.

So please, for me, write up this report in the detail I asked very nicely for so I can understand your goals.

Ball is in your court.

BTW, I've used dual center speakers as well. One above and one below my TV. It worked better than one because of how low end and terrible both of my speakers were. Once I got my tower behind my screen I never looked back.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Surprised to see 13 pages on this already. I hoped everyone would realize somewhere at page 2 or 3 that it would be better to stop there. All needed to be said has been said...

D

DCS0760

Junior Audioholic
Sweet radio.

To the OP. I'm not sure how I keep coming to these threads late, but I'm here now and I've not posted a thing so maybe you can answer my questions in a clear and concise manner that doesn't refer me back to the OP. The OP isn't as clear as you think it is. I have to write extremely technical documents in a way someone with little to no knowledge of the subject can understand it. I do it for a living. That's what I'm asking you to do.

I don't understand the purpose of a 2 channel speaker setup inside of another 2 channel setup. You say that there are benefits. What are they? Intimate is not a benefit when it comes to sound unless you mean to say you get REALLY close to your TV/Screen for some reason.

The other question. Have you ever tried a single center channel speaker? Specifically your bookshelf speaker in a vertical position?

Are you matrixing all of your material? (using dolby pro logic II, DTS Neo 6, etc). Are you just using stereo/direct mode for stereo sources and letting the receiver decode 5.1+ mixes and using the two center speakers as one?

I'd also like to know what model of receiver and speakers you are using. Pictures would also be a nice touch.

If you want people to take your idea seriously you have to explain it as you would to someone who has ZERO concept of what you are doing and why you are doing it.

So please, for me, write up this report in the detail I asked very nicely for so I can understand your goals.

Ball is in your court.

BTW, I've used dual center speakers as well. One above and one below my TV. It worked better than one because of how low end and terrible both of my speakers were. Once I got my tower behind my screen I never looked back.

Panter,

All of your questions have been addressed throughout the thread. Unfortunately due to the "select few goons", the thread has been filled with misdirection and clutter.

But, in hope of revitalizing or refreshing the topic with some useful comments....

What isn't clear in the OP? I outline specifically and in detail how to configure the design.

The purpose/usefulness of a 2 front speaker setup within another 2 front speaker (as you describe it) can vary, depending on a particular use or person. Stereo and AV receivers with Speaker A/B functionality have been around for a long time. The idea behind this particular design is that it allows you to utilize the same 2 speakers as both dual centers or front right/left. Now how or where one decides to position the two centers is up to them. Thats part of the advantages this design affords. I've described how I have mine set up in previous posts. Again, as mentioned in the OP, you can compare it to having a sound bar that substitutes for a center channel in a 3.0 or higher configuration.

Maybe "intimate" was the wrong word, but I don't think so. Intimate is defined, "closely acquainted; familiar, close." The two speakers acting as centers or front left/right can be positioned closer to the TV (creating a narrow sound stage). This allows you to position the main front left/right speaker further out, (creating a broader sound stage).

Again, the design lets you explore various options.

Regarding sound modes,....I use different sound fields for different situations. The design does not limit you in regards to sound fields.

Hope this helped.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Sweet radio.

Ball is in your court.

Well spoken, detailed and will net no more than any other attempt thus far.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Panter,

All of your questions have been addressed throughout the thread. Unfortunately due to the "select few goons", the thread has been filled with misdirection and clutter.

But, in hope of revitalizing or refreshing the topic with some useful comments....

What isn't clear in the OP? I outline specifically and in detail how to configure the design.

The purpose/usefulness of a 2 front speaker setup within another 2 front speaker (as you describe it) can vary, depending on a particular use or person. Stereo and AV receivers with Speaker A/B functionality have been around for a long time. The idea behind this particular design is that it allows you to utilize the same 2 speakers as both dual centers or front right/left. Now how or where one decides to position the two centers is up to them. Thats part of the advantages this design affords. I've described how I have mine set up in previous posts. Again, as mentioned in the OP, you can compare it to having a sound bar that substitutes for a center channel in a 3.0 or higher configuration.

Maybe "intimate" was the wrong word, but I don't think so. Intimate is defined, "closely acquainted; familiar, close." The two speakers acting as centers or front left/right can be positioned closer to the TV (creating a narrow sound stage). This allows you to position the main front left/right speaker further out, (creating a broader sound stage).

Again, the design lets you explore various options.

Regarding sound modes,....I use different sound fields for different situations. The design does not limit you in regards to sound fields.

Hope this helped.
Asking for information doesn't make a person a goon. Lacking the intellect to back up the OP and then blaming others is the sign of a troll and a few other things I would like to say but won't.

You're like this guy I know who buys all this junk he finds from Goodwill, mind you there can be some great finds there but he doesn't pick the great stuff. He buys the junk and cobbles it together and when you visit he tries to show it off and explains why he hooked it all up the way he did and you try your very best to listen to it knowing there will be a headache as a result.

Then you try very nicely to explain why it doesn't sound that good (not using those words) and the person goes on to explain how a Sound Design stereo from Kmart circa 1984 is a great building block of a great system. You know it didn't sound good brand new and has no hope of sounding good no matter how many Bose cubes you throw at it along with the RCA speakers and $40 "subwoofers" are in play.

People who are into audio typically believe in constructive criticism so they can improve on their system. You are one of those that designs a system and is hell bent on saying how well it performs and hey, if you like it that's great, but don't expect people who know it most likely does not sound all that good to agree based on information provided thus far.

You refuse to respond to specific questions proving you're either too stubborn or a simple troll. I believe you are both with a few other things sprinkled in. This thread should now die the death it deserves and can serve as a source of how not to build a system, that and how not to post about a configuration looking for a problem that isn't there.

Troll.JPG

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Asking for information doesn't make a person a goon. Lacking the intellect to back up the OP and then blaming others is the sign of a troll and a few other things I would like to say but won't.

You're like this guy I know who buys all this junk he finds from Goodwill, mind you there can be some great finds there but he doesn't pick the great stuff. He buys the junk and cobbles it together and when you visit he tries to show it off and explains why he hooked it all up the way he did and you try your very best to listen to it knowing there will be a headache as a result.

Then you try very nicely to explain why it doesn't sound that good (not using those words) and the person goes on to explain how a Sound Design stereo from Kmart circa 1984 is a great building block of a great system. You know it didn't sound good brand new and has no hope of sounding good no matter how many Bose cubes you throw at it along with the RCA speakers and $40 "subwoofers" are in play.

People who are into audio typically believe in constructive criticism so they can improve on their system. You are one of those that designs a system and is hell bent on saying how well it performs and hey, if you like it that's great, but don't expect people who know it most likely does not sound all that good to agree based on information provided thus far.

You refuse to respond to specific questions proving you're either too stubborn or a simple troll. I believe you are both with a few other things sprinkled in. This thread should now die the death it deserves and can serve as a source of how not to build a system, that and how not to post about a configuration looking for a problem that isn't there.

View attachment 21410
Well said. Welcome to the "Goon"-ies

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis