MartinLogan XT F100 Floorstanding Speaker Review!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
You should be careful. Exactly which receiver under $2K wouldn’t be adequate? And, why is that the target, sorry, magic number?

These new “visuals” don’t seem to be anything more than a scare tactic that are meant to make one spend considerably more coin on a new AVR or amps because these new speakers “sounded better” with 200 watt or more amps.

Thanks, but I’m not overspending on AVRs, speakers or cables anymore. If “value” really was the most important attribute of the “best,” that Monoprice subwoofer would have been alone on that list.

So, anyway, line up guys. Get your new MLs! If you dropped over $2k on your AVR, you are good to go. If not, well, good luck.;)
Based on my intimate knowledge of the differences of receivers in a lineup from Yamaha, Onkyo/Pioneer, Sony, and Marantz Denon. Between entry level and $1500 or so they all use the same amplifier boards and often a similar if not identical power supply. Once you move up the line the rail voltage and current capacity increases with each model. ~$2k seems to be that point where we start to see a decent power supply included allowing for better low impedance performance.

when I was at the Masimo headquarters I was surprised to learn that all of their receivers use the identical amplifier module. There is no difference at all. It allows them to keep costs down. The differences in wattage actually come from lower rail voltage. The differences in 4 ohm performance is the current limits of the power supply. Not the amplifier. The power supplies in cheaper receivers are pretty junky. The power supplies in the better more expensive receivers are more potent. $2k is just a number I threw out there based on where I had noted a bit of a shift toward what I consider a proper power supply. Obviously it may not be true for every brand. Some brands might still have weak supplies at $2k. Others might have good supplies at $1k.

EPDR is going to need public education. It’s widely used and broadly adopted at this point. It will soon be adopted industry wide and so I felt it important to include.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That’s right guys, your X3800H isn’t actually good enough or built well and hooking these MLs to them wouldn’t be advisable. Hey, don’t look at me, I didn’t say it.

You can use the pre outs to connect to 200w per channel amps. The X4800H just misses the bus at 190w max into 4 ohms but also breaks the $2k rule when not on sale. So, following the $2k + 200w into 4 ohm rule, you gotta’ pony up to the X6800H and spend about $8k if you want MLs connected to a Denon AVR without external amps. Now, that money does get you the separate 2CH Playback mode settings missing from the lower end models. So, there is value.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would be a bit shocked if anyone bought these towers and uses them on a sub-$2k receiver. I doubt it would do any damage but it wouldn’t be advisable.

honestly, getting ten years out of any modern receiver is doing well. These things become technologically outdated faster than that so they don’t build them to last. I’ve never kept a receiver long enough for it to actually die. I actually think I am pretty hard on gear too.
I agee.

I know friends who have the ML F200 and F100 and they use Denon X3800/Yamaha RX-A4A just fine.

I also know friends who use KEF R11 towers w/ Denon X3800/Yamaha RX-A4A just fine.

Personally, I always use flagship models (like Denon AVR-5308 or Yamaha RX-A3080). But I also doubt that the F100 will damage AVRs like the X3800.

I don't think it's like getting run over by a bus like what some people are saying. :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I get it. Masimo had you all in to listen to their spin. The next buyer will do the same after clipping even more features from all models and yet still increasing prices.

The tactics here are pretty obvious. Are mine not? Do I have to actually scream “deeper” in regard to this hole?

B

brian6751

Audioholic Intern
Since when is it news that a 4 Ohm speaker will be harder on AVR's? We also know speakers are not static loads. Im not sure where this drama comes from.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the review. I think that my HK 3490 120 wpc 150 into 4 ohms could run these decently but I'm not in the market for new speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since when is it news that a 4 Ohm speaker will be harder on AVR's? We also know speakers are not static loads. Im not sure where this drama comes from.
It comes from guys on the internet like TLS Guy telling everyone that AVRs are UTTER TRASH and using AVRs with 4-ohms speakers is like getting run over by a bus. :eek: :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Fan boys and peddlers will rattle on about it for sure. My advice to certain others is that if the boss makes what its supposed to be the final word on a matter, leave it alone and don't poke your head up and over their shoulder and cry "Yeah!" It undermines the whole outfit. Now, bring on the Dislike, Disagree and Dumb badges! My vest is almost complete.;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It comes from guys on the internet like TLS Guy telling everyone that AVRs are UTTER TRASH and using AVRs with 4-ohms speakers is like getting run over by a bus. :eek: :D
It is simple. For some anything goes, for others we engineer for reliability and long term enjoyment and satisfaction, without continuously running up the credit card bills.

For some physics is a closed book, others understand the relationship if heating in a device and it going up be the square of the current. Not hard to understand.

I have items in my rig going back sixty years, and still working fine. That did not happen by chance.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Fan boys and peddlers will rattle on about it for sure. My advice to certain others is that if the boss makes what its supposed to be the final word on a matter, leave it alone and don't poke your head up and over their shoulder and cry "Yeah!" It undermines the whole outfit. Now, bring on the Dislike, Disagree and Dumb badges! My vest is almost complete.;)
you get coal in your stocking this year kid ?? !! :p

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
Sounds like you are bitter that you don’t have or make enough money then some to enjoy this hobby like some. Maybe work harder next year or find work so you can just buy what you like instead of bitching and moaning and crying about what everyone else is spending there money on

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. I see it all so clearly now. Why aren't you in Israel sorting all of that s#% t out? While you are busy solving the world's problems, take a moment and look up THEN vs THAN and THEIR vs THERE. I don't overspend when the marketing devils start in. It means I work when I feel like it, not when I come up short and my credit cards are maxed out. If I really wanted to check out Denon's Directional and 2CH Playback modes, I could purchase a Denon X6800H and new speakers without blinking. When I feel the need to upgrade, I'll do it. I just won't be buying the MLs.

B

brian6751

Audioholic Intern
I swear to god, every AV forum I go to now is like some kind of fever dream....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. I see it all so clearly now. Why aren't you in Israel sorting all of that s#% t out? While you are busy solving the world's problems, take a moment and look up THEN vs THAN and THEIR vs THERE. I don't overspend when the marketing devils start in. It means I work when I feel like it, not when I come up short and my credit cards are maxed out. If I really wanted to check out Denon's Directional and 2CH Playback modes, I could purchase a Denon X6800H and new speakers without blinking. When I feel the need to upgrade, I'll do it. I just won't be buying the MLs.
So your saying..........

You don't like them??????

Asking for a friend!!!!!! :eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dang bro how did the state of the world with Israel get dragged into a Martin Logan speaker review????? :D

Okay buster that's it!!!!! I've had it with your tomfoolery!!! No more of your shenanigans!!!
No more balley hoo!!!!

Were taking this sh&t to the steam vent right fu$#$@ing now mister let's go!!!! :mad:

:D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It was getting too dull. I’d rather raise hell about forced obsolescence and s#%ty marketing tactics. But, then a d#%k with a first grade reading level smarts off and I have to pause. I f#%kin’ hate that s#%t.

Now, back to the case of honoring 4 ohm speakers with “challenging loads” connected to AVRs that are supposed to be on their 8 ohm setting for optimal output. Do I place a rag soaked in kerosene on top of the AVR or just get it over as quickly as possible using gasoline?

Anybody suffering from fever dreams really should consult their primary physician. A Vitamin C deficiency is nothing to take lightly. Conversely, my posts should never be taken too seriously. I like setting off fireworks. I also eat citrus fruit daily and sleep the sleep of the just.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis