MartinLogan XT F100 Floorstanding Speaker Review!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
as an old retired railroader I believe this thread has hit the 'Derail' .............. o_O

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
as an old retired railroader I believe this thread has hit the 'Derail' .............. o_O
Well, it's all because of that new "EPDR".

What's that saying - you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :D

Otherwise, without that EPDR, this would have been just another review about a 4-ohm speaker, which most speakers are.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Eh theirs only one of our members on the thread that's this upset about it. The thread should be ok

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
No matter what the product is you are never going to get 100% of people to either agree or like it. For the most part the reviews and people who have purchased these ML speakers have been happy. You would think that would be goal of any company producing and selling products. As far as the AV industry ripping everyone off for greedy profits. Yea maybe some. The bigger companies like Massimo,Yamaha, Harman etc.. that have more capital have the advantage. I think the higher the price point equals higher the profit in most cases. The lower models you see at Costco and Best Buy have less margin. They are usually on sale and the higher end stuff hardly ever is.

G

G-wreck

Audiophyte
The problem with making ASSumptions on how a speaker sounds solely on measurements without actually hearing them can lead one to believe listening tests aren't even needed. Just buy with a graph. I spoke with Dan Roemer of Perlisten about this topic. It's fairly easy to make a speaker produce good CTA-2034 measurements and still sound like ass. The ML F100s speakers actually sound very neutral. Matt told me he put them up against his Perlisten S7c inwalls and they were very close in performance and neutrality. I've heard the F100s in several rooms and thought they sounded very good. The bass is their strong point since the woofers are low to the ground and the port is on the floor, which minimizes ground bounce. Also factor in the speaker fit and finish is excellent. It's the first time I'd recommend a Motion series product. Their bookshelf is a different story as James Larson found out. We rejected that speaker and asked MartinLogan to resubmit once they tweak the crossover to tame the highs. Last I checked they were making a running change. Not sure the status on that.

Yes they are a difficult load to drive but not for a good Anthem amplifier. I've seen most set ups running these with Anthem electronics, not a cheap AVR.
Gene,
As a person who owns a pair of the. XT B100’s as their mains do you think the issue with them was a fluke or a problem with the model of speaker? If they did make a change to the crossover I one could buy the updated parts. I live in Lawrence so I’d hope they take care of their neighbors lol.

D

dan3952

Audiophyte
I've had the XT-F100s for ten months, and I feel the following statements were flawed:

1. "There is a ripple in the impedance curve at 150 Hz, where there is audible trouble."
It better than its predecessor which I also have. XT-F100s have some of the cleanest, most articulate bass I've ever heard (mind you, my listening was mostly confined to products below $6k. The MLs just sound tipped up compared to more neutral Revels. It's a feature speaker. Not a neutral one. The dynamics of the MLs are also almost as good as Klipsch.

2. "So clearly the cabinet is not properly braced."
Bad assumption there. I have played dozens of test tones and it's no different than other speakers I had listened to at the same price point. You may get better bracing paying $6k and up; I don't know.

3. "That speaker is going to be a receiver buster."
The receiver owner's problem and not mine. One should never use cheap receivers with $4500 speakers. I don't own any.

4. "Then we get to the choice of Kevlar for the midrange. I have found this to be a poor choice."
Based on what? There are good and bad designs with every type of material. The Kevlar driver provides a more natural midrange to my ears than that of the 60XTs with their aluminum midrange.

5. "B & W used it to not good effect,"
I had also listened to previous generation Motion speakers with their aluminum midrange drivers against B&W 703 s2, and I felt the B&W had a more lush and full bodied midrange with better timbre.

6. " I would bet that cone is breaking up around 2K"
Based on what? I have dozens of REW derived tests, and none of them show a spike at 2 kHz: FR, waterfall, IR, etc. At very least, that peak doesn't appear to be audible in my listening room. I have a falling response at 2 kHz. It also changes if I move the mike.

7. "A peak of the magnitude shown is very bad news for classical users."
Anyone can spend hours picking apart FR plots on speakers they've never owned, and then take cheap shots at the designers of those speakers. At least Jim Salk has retired, so I don't have to look at his silly ideal case, oversmoothed, FR plots anymore. I would rather look at jagged 1/24 plots that are even more meaningless. He himself knows that speakers play the room, but had chosen to contradict himself there.

8. "The strings will have a somewhat strident tone and the brass will be coarse."
Neither of those things are true. This midrange has a more natural timbre than some aluminum drivers I've heard. It's forward, but this has nothing to do with a real or imagined peak at 2 kHz, or the use of a Kevlar driver. It's not as laid back as British speakers. It's somewhere between a Revel and a Klipsch. ML house sound is a bold one.

9. " Frankly the top end is also a disaster"
Based on what? Revel's aluminum tweeters in the F206, and Wharfedale's soft domes in the Diamond line, are notably worse. Wharfedale also uses AMTs in their new Aura line, that look much the same as the ones in the Motion line. I'm pretty sure their designers aren't incompetent. Or else, he could try taking it up with Mr. Comeau. AMTs lag in directivity. They have more surface area, and move less. Beryllium ones used by Focal and Revel I would place ahead. ML's AMT soundly trounces any soft dome or aluminum tweeter I've heard in speakers under $4000. I care more about the midrange than the tweeter.

10. "I find even a small rise at 2 KHz to be highly objectionable"
That's his problem and not mine. I've seen lots of speakers on Stereophile that measure worse. There is no guarantee that this person would also get a rise at 2 kHz in his listening room. I get a dip and some bumps between 100 Hz and 200 Hz which may or may not appear in somebody else's listening room.

11. "and I would bet this will end up being costly to people who can't afford it."
Their problem, and not mine.

12. "reliability is always front and center of what I design and spec. out."
He has no business labeling any of ML's products as "unreliable". I bought my 60XTs in 2020 and they haven't broken yet. I had broken a binding post on the XT-F100s which was all user abuse. If I had to point out a flaw, that is it.

13. "the tweeter on that unit is not very good and I will be frank it's bad."
Based on what? See Brent Butterworth's review online of the 60XTs in 2015 which I also own. I've heard $6000 speakers that have worse top end. This is his personal bias which I don't happen to share.

14. "The fact that a simpler cheaper dome would perform far better"
Based on what? He had presented his opinion. Cheaper domes at the $3k to $5k price point hadn't outperformed. The Be tweeters used by Focal and Revel in their higher end lines, I had heard locally, had. B&W's 700 series tweeter I had found to be comparable but different. If I had to pick one that I would take in place of the AMT, that would be it. B&W speakers also have a deliberately tipped up, upper midrange that I don't care for. Again, if I otherwise like the speakers, I could simply use REW, and tone it down. B&W towers in the US sell for more money than Revel or ML towers.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,
As a person who owns a pair of the. XT B100’s as their mains do you think the issue with them was a fluke or a problem with the model of speaker? If they did make a change to the crossover I one could buy the updated parts. I live in Lawrence so I’d hope they take care of their neighbors lol.
MartinLogan was going after the same sensitivity across the line. I think it's a very odd choice and the only way to achieve that would be to pad down the efficiency of the tower (Bad idea) or goose the treble of the bookshelf (arguably bad idea). If you have the B100s and like them, then don't hassle it. You can always lower the treble 2-3dB and see how that works. I'm uncertain if they made the xover change yet or not but will revisit this with them when we talk next time.

G

G-wreck

Audiophyte
MartinLogan was going after the same sensitivity across the line. I think it's a very odd choice and the only way to achieve that would be to pad down the efficiency of the tower (Bad idea) or goose the treble of the bookshelf (arguably bad idea). If you have the B100s and like them, then don't hassle it. You can always lower the treble 2-3dB and see how that works. I'm uncertain if they made the xover change yet or not but will revisit this with them when we talk next time.
Thank you for your response. Overall they sound decent in my system but I did note they were much brighter than my very neutral Sander’s ESL’s which when reading the reviews didn’t suprise me that they are a bit bright. I look forward to hearing any future information you get.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
Thank you for your response. Overall they sound decent in my system but I did note they were much brighter than my very neutral Sander’s ESL’s which when reading the reviews didn’t suprise me that they are a bit bright. I look forward to hearing any future information you get.
Looking forward to what information? IMO screw the reviews who cares. You either like the speakers or not. Form your own opinion

G

G-wreck

Audiophyte
Looking forward to what information? IMO screw the reviews who cares. You either like the speakers or not. Form your own opinion
Overall I think the speakers sound excellent and I was able to buy them from a dealer with a nice discount. For the money I haven’t found better speakers foe my purposes. Mainly I’m a bit disappointed that the review wasn’t completed for good or bad. I owned a ML c-18 Esl center and the AM tweeter in that thing was like treble laser so the B100’s seem a bit dark sounding in comparison.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Overall I think the speakers sound excellent and I was able to buy them from a dealer with a nice discount. For the money I haven’t found better speakers foe my purposes. Mainly I’m a bit disappointed that the review wasn’t completed for good or bad. I owned a ML c-18 Esl center and the AM tweeter in that thing was like treble laser so the B100’s seem a bit dark sounding in comparison.
I will take a listen next time I visit Maximum AV in tampa and report back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis