Mark Levinson 433 vs Parasound 51

C

canelli

Audioholic
I have been looking to upgrade to a dedicated amplifier.

Initially I considered several amps, but over time I centered on the Anthem A5 or Parasound A51. Now I have been given the chance to purchase a Levinson 433 for the same price of a A51.

If I get the Levinson, my current receiver which is a Pioneer would provide power to the surrounds (just 5.1).

I have never had the chance to hear either amp and would appreciate any suggestions between the two.

The other option is try the smaller Parasound A52.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are they all used or new?

I'm not willing to say which is better, but personally I would go with Mark Levinson.:D

C

canelli

Audioholic
The A51 would be new and discounted pretty heavily. The 433 (used) would be equal price to the A51.

If I go the A21 route, I have some time to decide and might try used. Never bought used before so not sure of risk vs reward.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'd choose the A51. The John Curl-designed Parasound equipment is pretty awesome stuff and it would be new with a warranty, and you'd have amps with identical sensitivity for every channel.

Both amps are overkill performance-wise for most systems. Levinson equipment is made like a Rolex watch, but older Levinson equipment is very expensive to service. Think of that $10,000 MSRP 433 like a 2007 BMW 750i that's out of warranty. You can buy it cheap now, but if the transmission goes out it might be $8000 to get a rebuilt one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ATI have been known to make some of the 200wpc & 300wpc amps for Mark Levinson, Lexicon, & JBL.

Have you considered a brand new fully balanced 300 WPC amp from ATI w/ 7 yr warranty? These amps are made in California.

One cool feature I like is that they are "fuseless", so no worries about blown fuses to replace. You just have to "reset".:D

300wpc x 5ch is $3000, 300wpc x 7ch is $3700:

Amplifiers

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
300wpc x 5ch is $3000, 300wpc x 7ch is $3700:

Amplifiers
Is Classic Audio Parts an authorized dealer (I don't see them listed on ATI's website)? Also, do you know what they consider "B-Stock" to mean? You've gotten me interested in ATI in the past - so just curious. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is Classic Audio Parts an authorized dealer (I don't see them listed on ATI's website)? Also, do you know what they consider "B-Stock" to mean? You've gotten me interested in ATI in the past - so just curious. Thanks.
I've called and talked to ATI and confirmed that Classic Audio Parts is absolutely an ATI authorized dealer.

B-stock is just like any other B-stock - box opened for one reason or another - mostly sales returns. They are inspected and tested to guarantee 100% working condition. If it has a 10/10 condition rating, it will look and smell like brand new, double boxed, sealed, and everything like new. All come with the same 7 yr factory warranty and the trigger wire, which was a good surprise. So I have 3 of those trigger wires.:D

The 3 ATI amps I bought were all B-stock 10/10 conditions.

The only thing I don't like about them is that heavy weight.:eek:

I wish they were lighter in weight like the Bryston amps - like 60 lbs instead of 110lbs!:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!

If it has a 10/10 condition rating...
Is that listed on their site, or do you need to call (I'm not seeing it on there).

Not trying to hijack - I figure that the OP might also like to know this.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The John Curl-designed Parasound equipment is pretty awesome stuff and it would be new with a warranty, and you'd have amps with identical sensitivity for every channel..
I have 'John Curl-desinged' amp. It's sitting there collecting dust while I run my 2.0 with a $179 Crown pro audio amp. Just saying.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Does your other amp not work well?
The Parasound works great. Just runs out of steam vs the Crown. There is also a bit of noise through the tweeter* if you put your ear against it where the Crown is absolute blackness.

For all the marketing hype with 'John Curl Design' one would be left to think it would bury the XLS alive. That or they would have you believe the EE's at Crown some how are dropped off the special needs bus at Elkhart in the morning.

That's why I get a kick out of $6500 worth of amp with $8500 worth of speaker vs $1K of amp and $14,000 worth of speaker. Stupidity is not often rewarded.

* There goes the offer of A/B'ing the Parasound vs my Crown and walking if with the Parasound if you pick it as the audiophile amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!

Is that listed on their site, or do you need to call (I'm not seeing it on there).

Not trying to hijack - I figure that the OP might also like to know this.
I bought all 3 ATI Amos from their Audiogon Classic audio parts site.

AudiogoN Seller items: Classic_audio_parts

It is down for maintenance now, but when it is up it will show the condition types - 10/10, 9/10.

These days all the amps seem to be all new or 10/10. I haven't seen a 9/10, 8/10 condition in a while.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
AudiogoN Seller items: Classic_audio_parts

It is down for maintenance now, but when it is up it will show the condition types - 10/10, 9/10.
it appears AudiogoN is changing their website a little.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've always heard great things about Parasound. I have a friend who can get me some sweet deals on Parasound.

But I'm nuts, and I gotta have those heavyweight metal handles in the front of the amps.:eek::D Love handles.:D

One thing I've noticed about Parasound is that they used to offer a 10 yr warranty on their amps. Now it's 5 yrs, which is no different than the warranty offered by Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Outlaw, Emotiva, and everyone else.

I wish Parasound still offered their 10 yr warranty.

Bryston offers the 20 yr warranty.

But for the price of one Bryston 20yr warranty , I can get 3 ATI amps for 21yr warranty.

1 Bryston 150wpc x 5ch amp = $8100.
Bryston - 9B-SST2 - 150 Watt - Five Channel Amplifier-Audio Advisor

1 ATI 200wpx x 5ch amp = $2300
ATI AT2005 Five Channel x 200 Watt Amplifier - B-Stock (120 V) - Amplifiers

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have 'John Curl-desinged' amp. It's sitting there collecting dust while I run my 2.0 with a $179 Crown pro audio amp. Just saying.
Interesting. I had the monoblocks (JC1) in my system in 2003 for a demo and they were about as quiet as my Levinsons. I was impressed, but not enough to buy. It sounds like I too would like the Crowns better, because I also use the ear test at idle to judge amps. My old Legacy Ficus speakers, at about 95db/2.83v revealed a lot about amp SNR.

Which JC amp do you have?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I have been looking to upgrade to a dedicated amplifier.

Initially I considered several amps, but over time I centered on the Anthem A5 or Parasound A51. Now I have been given the chance to purchase a Levinson 433 for the same price of a A51.

If I get the Levinson, my current receiver which is a Pioneer would provide power to the surrounds (just 5.1).

I have never had the chance to hear either amp and would appreciate any suggestions between the two.

The other option is try the smaller Parasound A52.
I would not exclude the Behringer iNuke

Behringer NU3000DSP Power Amplifier with DSP, 3000 Watts

or for MORE Power how about:

Behringer NU6000DSP Power Amplifier with DSP, 6000 Watts

$500 and it will not break your back moving it.

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Looks like a nice upgrade on the Audiogon site. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just now saw that Crown is own by Harman?

Six degrees of Harman.:eek:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I just now saw that Crown is own by Harman?

Six degrees of Harman.:eek:
Yeah, they own Crown, JBL, Levinson, Revel, Infinity, Lexicon, AKG, DBX, Studer... and the hits just keep on coming. And Harman off-shores or out-sources manufacturing for every one of them. Paliwal ain't my kind of guy. Sidney was.

A few years ago I sold off my mint Crown 822. I couldn't get 456 tape for it anymore, and digital sounds *so* much better. But that was a machine...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis