Mandatory Maturity Level

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
JohnD, i know what you mean...well, adding new designations won't solve it either, IMHO. I think it will only be used as laughing stock for other members. What happened if that particular person got this clown face because of his stupid remarks in one place but being very helpful in others. What's the criteria? Once he got the clown face and everybody just ignore his posts without even reading them, it's unfair.

I will just slap them on the face...:D:D...
I see your point masak_aer, but I do believe that history will show that if a person is a supreme jackass in one thread, then he likely isn't very helpful in other threads, and therefore his reputation will precede him in all ensuing discussions. While they can be tiresome and annoying, I do think that the majority of the members here are smart enough to either ignore them, or in extreme cases deliver the fatal red chicklet, without becoming trigger happy with any noob who poses a seemingly ridiculous question. Therein lies the danger - lest we all become witch hunters in some quasi-modern day internet Salem.

If it were up to me - instead of a clown (for only those deserving enough), any time they tried to post text, it would come out like this:

In order to reverse it, they would have to contact one of the mods, beg for forgiveness, and buy each member of the forum a new set of speakers to atone for their antics. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I see your point masak_aer, but I do believe that history will show that if a person is a supreme jackass in one thread, then he likely isn't very helpful in other threads, and therefore his reputation will precede him in all ensuing discussions. While they can be tiresome and annoying, I do think that the majority of the members here are smart enough to either ignore them, or in extreme cases deliver the fatal red chicklet, without becoming trigger happy with any noob who poses a seemingly ridiculous question. Therein lies the danger - lest we all become witch hunters in some quasi-modern day internet Salem.

If it were up to me - instead of a clown (for only those deserving enough), any time they tried to post text, it would come out like this:

In order to reverse it, they would have to contact one of the mods, beg for forgiveness, and buy each member of the forum a new set of speakers to atone for their antics. :D
I like that idea.... and it sounds completely financially viable, because everyone knows, most if not all inconsiderate donkeys are very wealthy....I mean look at Donald Trump?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
So I think the clear solution would be some sort of obvious "you act like a 6 year old kid that missed his afternoon nap" type of picture.
Precisely. For that "annual", or as necessary award.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

That's pretty good Halon. I see you've given this some serious thought. :p Thank you. We do think alike at times. But often times, the jacka** title is too harsh. Don't you agree? Clown, Court Jester, Riddler: it was along those lines that I was thinking. Not too harsh, but befitting for those deserving of that title for as long as need be. :p Btw: that's a nice closeup of the donkey's mouth.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I have come to find a need for a maturity rating. That's right. And it need not be correllated with one's age. Perhaps an "M" for a mature designee, and a big, bold, red "I" for an Immature designee. The system need not be complicated: we all start out with an M, and when some misbehavin' goes on, upon a mod's direction, or the crowd's pleas (en masse...their could be a vote), that member receives an "I" so that we all might know his posts are prone to drivel.
While this could possibly be a great idea for newcomers to the site I don't think it fully necessary. Most of the regulars here have a pretty good idea whose posts are prone to drivel and almost always correct these people when misguiding a new comer or in any case.

If you think about it this could be another system added to hold esteem much like the "thank you" and "reputation" systems, but those too had noble causes who were not reached. While allowing a moderator to control this rating would allow for more control it seems more appropriate to let each member make their own judgment of one another rather than possibly placing a self-fulfilling prophecy in place.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
While this could possibly be a great idea for newcomers to the site I don't think it fully necessary. Most of the regulars here have a pretty good idea whose posts are prone to drivel and almost always correct these people when misguiding a new comer or in any case.

If you think about it this could be another system added to hold esteem much like the "thank you" and "reputation" systems, but those too had noble causes who were not reached. While allowing a moderator to control this rating would allow for more control it seems more appropriate to let each member make their own judgment of one another rather than possibly placing a self-fulfilling prophecy in place.

Thanks avaserfi. I appreciate the input.

I hear what you're saying: we of course identify quickly those threads, topics and posters which interest us most. We acclimate toward them (I know I do), I think, rather then specifically averring certain topics or posters.

Clown status would be reseved specifically for that poster that needs a scolding for his repeated transgressions: a more severe punishment than a one week ban, a far less punishment than permanent banishment. I can see its' practical use. I mean sometimes, I've got time to spare, so I don't mind that occasional post. Other times, when one is seriously engaged in a deep topic, the meddling pundit's efforts would quickly be ignored by the serious posters. All we would have to see is the clown, and we could then avert potential "stuff" by not reading his post, or avoiding the thread altogether (were there ever an abundance of clowns in it). :p

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Can I get a clown suit too? Or would that brand me an "I"?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Can I get a clown suit too? Or would that brand me an "I"?
Well, I don't know strat? Where do your allegiances lie? Hah!

We can't hand out clown suits to anyone, you know. Everyone knows that Dave is beyond reproach, and is always (almost) the voice of reason. Cavemen are not known for those traits, are they? But then again, you're not any caveman. So of course you can, once we find one with a receding hairline (not too hard, Bozo and a lot of the clowns have receding hairlines...why that's universally funny, I do not know) and thick mats of hair (fur?), feel free to jump in. :p

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I'll settle for a clown suit only if it is Light Cherry color. I want to match it with my speakers. Black is also acceptable.

Halon, I agree on the last part of your post though :D :D:

In order to reverse it, they would have to contact one of the mods, beg for forgiveness, and buy each member of the forum a new set of speakers to atone for their antics.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Say, while we're on the topic:

I received a negative rep on this thread from an "unknown." (at 7:24 am this morning).

Hmmm. Who could that be? I'm mystified. Who oh who could that be?

Perhaps a more honest approach to red chicklets (not my bag...so I wonder who it could be?) is to make the sender of such disrepute announce himself, rather than hiding behind the veil of a monitor.

Point being, when red chicklets are sent, they can be sent by anyone: they need not show their face. I, for one, think that is a breeding ground for distrust. It is not good for the members to wonder who could have sent them a red chicklet. Why should they be able to hide? :)

This is doubly ironic, as this thread is about no member in particular. I am not making an attack on anyone. Just throwing it out there. Everyone runs into a clown every now and then. And apparently there's some interest in this topic: 28 posts and 274 hits in less than 8 hours! I'm not trying to micromanage Audioholics: this is a great site, it is run well, and it it is well moderated. Doesn't need my help. I just don't like the distrust bred by anonymity (of red chicklets). And that begs the question: why can one give a red chicklet anonymously, but thanks must be given open and notoriously? Perhaps the mods could notify me privately, of the chickleter will man up to it. :)

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Well, I keep my own red chicklets to myself. I have no intention to ever give it away for free to anybody... I earn mine honestly and truthfully...:D

Now that you mention it, you check your own chicklets in your pocket? Hmmm, may i need to check on mine too once in a while.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I keep my own red chicklets to myself. I have no intention to ever give it away for free to anybody... I earn mine honestly and truthfully...:D

Now that you mention it, you check your own chicklets in your pocket? Hmmm, may i need to check on mine too once in a while.
Okay...that's one down. Thanks masak_aer. :)

Actually, that's not the approach I was going after, but you've successfully eliminated yourself. Neither have I ever given a red chicklet...no need. We have an affinity. :) Glad to hear you're not one of the midnight marauders! :p

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I think your putting too much thought into the chicklet deal along with the I rating,i'd be willing to bet we all have atleast one neg rep if we checked all the time.

I went around here for 6 months & never knew how to check mine,never cared either,i decided to check just to see & found a red,somebody told me to get out of the country:D

But still................IMO only a puss gives out a red without signing it or announcing it.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think your putting too much thought into the chicklet deal along with the I rating,i'd be willing to bet we all have atleast one neg rep if we checked all the time.

I went around here for 6 months & never knew how to check mine,never cared either,i decided to check just to see & found a red,somebody told me to get out of the country:D

But still................IMO only a puss gives out a red without signing it or announcing it.
You're one cool cat in my book highfi!

(That's two down :D) Bear in mind I never considered you guys. Thanks. And perhaps you are right highfi: maybe I am giving this too much credence. Wise words.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Agreed Levi, I always sign mine off. They should know who is giving them a negative rep, just in case they want to return the favor.:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed Levi, I always sign mine off. They should know who is giving them a negative rep, just in case they want to return the favor.:D
Thanks seth. (You're a cool cat too, but not a "puss" :cool::p).

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I like the "Thanks" function. I think that's a nice, human, touch.

How do you check for red chicklets? Haha, I've never even looked and I can't seem to find it under User CP...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis