Mandatory Maturity Level

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Allow me to begin by stating that I love this site. Audioholics is great. You get up to the minute information on cutting edge technology. Useful feedback and expertise from knowledgeable members. Minutely interaction that proves time and time again to be helpful. And there is a good group of members here. A real strata of humankind: from diverse age, economic, cultural and educational backgrounds. That's a large part of what makes it work: huge diversity.

Anyhow, I've got a sense of humor like the next guy. Truly. I'm a funny guy. And I understand that our levels of intellect vary...such is life. I am equipped to handle that. Recently, a couple of new members questioned the purpose of monikers and the chicklet system. We see them for what they are: it's part keeping this place light. They have no real meaning, after all, do they? I mean, members have been known to submit 1,000 posts every 6 months. Does that make him a genius? Or a wizard? Of course not. And we all know that some gain much favor (green chicklets) by thanking each other repeatedly, and adding to their rep count. Is the six or seven chickleteer a mmeber of greatness simply because of those seven green chicklets he proudly displays? Of course not. Only a nitwit hails himself as such. It's mostly in fun with some meaningful purpose. If he is a contributing member, if has experience and knowledge (and perhaps some occasional humor) to offer, that is apparent. It is recognized for what it is: a member helping a fellow member out, and we are grateful for that.

Which brings me to my point. Much ado has been made about the moniker system. Much greater ado has been made of the chicklet system: one can not only add to a rep, but they can give thanks. I am fine with both of these things. They both offer some humor, while still serving some purpose: the moniker as an easy identification for post count, and the chicklets as an easy identification for recognition.

I have come to find a need for a maturity rating. That's right. And it need not be correllated with one's age. Perhaps an "M" for a mature designee, and a big, bold, red "I" for an Immature designee. The system need not be complicated: we all start out with an M, and when some misbehavin' goes on, upon a mod's direction, or the crowd's pleas (en masse...their could be a vote), that member receives an "I" so that we all might know his posts are prone to drivel.

Allow me to repeat that I love this site. I thought I would throw this out there in the vent just to get some feedback. I think it could serve a useful purpose here. To wit: I have found myself enraptured in a couple of threads of late (and, no, they were not in the Steam Vent :)), only to have them repeatedly, viciously interrupted with infantile postings. Truly infantile. Do we want this forum to go that route? I don't like wasting my time or others. But this sort of labelling, as banishment may by too severe, might do us all well. Otherwise, some threads here run the risk of juvenile banter interspersed with meaningful insight...does one really have to sift and winnow to get to the meat of the matter? I think such a designation; "I" for immature member...perhaps we could even post a picture of a court jester, complete with makeup and hat, next to their moniker. I think such a designation merits some consideration. That's my Monday morning rant fellow 'holics. Now let the jesters be heard! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most people apparently like a train wreck. They can't look away. If they could they'd put these people on 'ignore'. The only people who should be subject to these immature members should be the mods (lest we not see what they are doing).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
John,

Couldn't we achieve the same result by giving negative reputation points and turning a members tasty green chicklet into a foul red chicklet? :rolleyes:

Step away from MY chicklet! :eek:

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I agree, negative rep points would work wouldn't it? The whole I/M thing would probably just make someone cry and run away.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I think if a person is enough of a jackass, other members will likely call them out on it at some point, in written response form, which I feel would serve a better purpose at either re-directing their "mis-behavin'" tendencies. The red chicklet, or an "I" could be easily overlooked, or even misunderstood by newer members. But we're not really meant to police the site anyway - the mods have that authority, I can understand your frustrations at times though.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think most people apparently like a train wreck. They can't look away. If they could they'd put these people on 'ignore'. The only people who should be subject to these immature members should be the mods (lest we not see what they are doing).
Clint, then that means you don't like the idea of a fully suited court jester, or clown being pasted next to their name? :p

I mean, it would help me rifle through some of the "stuff" more rapidly. Not that there's a preponderance of that here...for there is not. I just got into a couple of serious threads that were carried away...that's all. It's unappreciated, and I for one, think a clown face makes the one (or two) perpetrators readily identifiable for those that are interested. I can easily ignore posters or people...I do not need to put them on some "ignore" list. I certainly do not need to announce to all that I will put them on my ignore list. :p

But then, I'm also of the opinion that people whith room temperature IQ's should go around with "Stupid" tatooed on their forehead, so that we can avoid them. If I were king... (talk about train wrecks). :p

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
John,

Couldn't we achieve the same result by giving negative reputation points and turning a members tasty green chicklet into a foul red chicklet? :rolleyes:

Step away from MY chicklet! :eek:
Yeah...Alex. Perhaps. But I don't really play that game (if you haven't noticed). I'm of the opinion that men ought to be able to resolve their differences rationally. Perhaps that's the operative word. Thanks for the feedback.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I agree, negative rep points would work wouldn't it? The whole I/M thing would probably just make someone cry and run away.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, emorphien, is it? Sometimes people just need to go away. :p I thought the clown picture would serve as proper notice for those who care. Thank you for your feedback.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think if a person is enough of a jackass, other members will likely call them out on it at some point, in written response form, which I feel would serve a better purpose at either re-directing their "mis-behavin'" tendencies. The red chicklet, or an "I" could be easily overlooked, or even misunderstood by newer members. But we're not really meant to police the site anyway - the mods have that authority, I can understand your frustrations at times though.
Hey Halon. Yes, the chicklet and "I" could be easily overlooked, but not the clown face. :p Thanks much for your understanding and feedback...it is truly appreciated. John

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a quick question, can you tell that you're on a member's ignore list? ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Just a quick question, can you tell that you're on a member's ignore list? ;)
I don't think so Alex. What one could do is pm the member in question, and wait around and see if a response is issued. :p

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
That's not necessarily a bad thing, emorphien, is it? Sometimes people just need to go away. :p I thought the clown picture would serve as proper notice for those who care. Thank you for your feedback.
True. Hmm.

But what if it pissed them off and they got worse until a mod caught on and banned them.

Oh bother.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
JohnD, i know what you mean...well, adding new designations won't solve it either, IMHO. I think it will only be used as laughing stock for other members. What happened if that particular person got this clown face because of his stupid remarks in one place but being very helpful in others. What's the criteria? Once he got the clown face and everybody just ignore his posts without even reading them, it's unfair.

I will just slap them on the face...:D:D...

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
True. Hmm.

But what if it pissed them off and they got worse until a mod caught on and banned them.

Oh bother.
Hah! But isn't that the way of the world? And I'm not suggesting there are many here that ought to don the suit...not many at all. This is a great site with many great members.

Occasionally a rogue member needs to be banned...buts that neither for you or I to decide. I was just sitting back picturing a clown, and was wondering how many others have done so? :p And were it up to a vote, how many would see a use for that clown figure next to their name, so we avoid the fray. :D That's all emorpien, John's Monday morning rant.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
JohnD, i know what you mean...well, adding new designations won't solve it either, IMHO. I think it will only be used as laughing stock for other members. What happened if that particular person got this clown face because of his stupid remarks in one place but being very helpful in others. What's the criteria? Once he got the clown face and everybody just ignore his posts without even reading them, it's unfair.

I will just slap them on the face...:D:D...
I hear you masak_aer, and thank you for your response. It certainly could be abused, and that is why there would be oversight by the mods...or just one mod.

The clown would be there to signify a poster that often posts drivel. So proceed at your own risk. That's all. So as to save us time from frivolity. And redemption could be had by public forum. It's not that he would forever be relinqueshed from clown status...perhaps ten helpful votes over the course of ten days would restore non-clown staus. I don't know. I was just spiffballing here. :p

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I think it sounds like a rather novel idea. Athough one that would have to undergo carefull guidance by the mods. Lest we become skinless, fragile members that are taken under the wing of an FCC type censorship system.

This post alone will probably put me right in the saturday morning cartoons category, right along Bozo, may he rest in peace. :)

But I can see how it would make it a lot easier to wade through the drivel, and stay on topic.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think it sounds like a rather novel idea.
Thanks for seeing the "light" krzywica: You're a "Good Pole" Charlie Brown.

Athough one that would have to undergo carefull guidance by the mods. Lest we become skinless, fragile members that are taken under the wing of an FCC type censorship system.
Of course.

This post alone will probably put me right in the saturday morning cartoons category, right along Bozo, may he rest in peace. :)
That is its' (this thread) main purpose. :p

But I can see how it would make it a lot easier to wade through the drivel, and stay on topic.
Precisely. Red chicklets? Nah, not my style. Banning? Way too severe but for the worst of miscreants. :p Clown avatar? That says it all (for the rare, occasional perpetrator).

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I think if we used red chicklets it would be like a dialed back version of this website.
http://www.familywatchdog.us/

And if we went with an alpha indicator people just wouldn't get it....and there would be a lot of "so why do I have this Red 'I' on my siganteure" posts.

So I think the clear solution would be some sort of obvious "you act like a 6 year old kid that missed his afternoon nap" type of picture.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis