Made in America Amps, Receivers, Processors?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And Apparently, Lexicon couldn't wait for ATI to come out with a new Pre-Pro so they have their own pre-pro with 6 HDMIs + HD-Audio decoders.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am thinking about picking this http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1290972039&/ATI-ATP8700-Top-of-the-line-A/
one up. For that price how can you go wrong. HDMI inputs are not important to me. I got a buyer for my B&K Ref 50 S2 for $750.00 and the unit has a few years on it.
If I had never gotten into HTPC (3 of them:eek:) I would have already gotten 2 of those brand new ATI pre-pros. BDs are the only thing with TrueHD/DTS-HD, and those can be decoded inside the BD players and sent to the ATP-8700's 7.1 analog inputs.

If you have that $500 Oppo universal player, it can decode TrueHD/DTS-HD/SACD DSD/DVD-A MLP and send all those to your ATP-8700.

I'm sure you can get that ATP-8700 for $800. And the retail was what $6,000?:eek:

I still keep on looking at those ATP-8700 every week and wonder "What if".:D

I'm looking at that ATP-8700 now and asking myself if I can use that somehow.:eek:

I need to have THREE ROOMS!:D

I must be out of my mind.:eek:

That 7" LCD in the front panel is worth $500 alone!

It also has 2 DVI inputs & 1 DVI output, so you could still get a DVI-HDMI cable and hook up the HDMIs for videos only and use the Analog Inputs for audio.

Last edited:
T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Aren't Crown amps still made in Indiana? I know they are tailored to pro audio, but couldn't you use a low powered Crown or two or three?

J

JAC

Enthusiast
The only problem with Cinepro's pre-pro is that is it exactly like ATI's 7700 pre-pro, which also means no HD-audio decoding.

I think the "end result" of both ATI & Cinepro amps may be the same. However, the ATI/Earthquake has better measured specs in terms of THD, Crosstalk, & SNR.

Cinepro 425WPC amp:
http://hometheatermag.com/poweramplifiers/91/index2.html

415wpc x 2ch 8ohms
694wpc x 2ch 4ohms
THD: 0.13% 1watt/1kHz
SNR: 99dBA 1watt
Crosstalk: -60dB 1kHz

ATI/Earthquake 300WPC amp:
http://hometheatermag.com/poweramplifiers/12/index1.html

374wpc x 2ch 8ohms
565wpc x 2ch 4ohms
THD: 0.013% 1watt/1kHz
SNR: 105dBA 1watt
Crosstalk: -99dB 1kHz
???

I am an Earthquake and an ATI dealer and am confused by your post.

What is an ATI/Earthquake?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
???

I am an Earthquake and an ATI dealer and am confused by your post.

What is an ATI/Earthquake?
ATI is an electronics company, but first and foremost they're an OEM company.

Although the The Earthquake Cinenova Grande isn't necessarily a rebadged ATI 3005... it's assumed to be. Unless you care to show us the vastly different internals... :D

Aren't Crown amps still made in Indiana? I know they are tailored to pro audio, but couldn't you use a low powered Crown or two or three?
Fan noise is the only real concern with pro amps. Home amps usually have bigger heatsinks to avoid a need for a fan.

Oh, and pro amps lack unbalanced connections.

Last edited:
J

JAC

Enthusiast
ATI is an electronics company, but first and foremost they're an OEM company.

Although the The Earthquake Cinenova Grande isn't necessarily a rebadged ATI 3005... it's assumed to be. Unless you care to show us the vastly different internals... :D
Interesting. I have asked Morris and Joseph if they are made by ATI and both have said NO.

The Dimensions, Weight, Performance, Topology, Operation, and Features are all different. A little review of those will show the differences.

Aside a mild similarity in the appearance and that both have around 300wpc at 8 ohms, they have nothing to suggest they are a rebadge of one another.

While it is possible that the heads of each company prefer to keep origins a secret, the suggestion that they are the same amps (only rebadged) is not accurate.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
the suggestion that they are the same amps (only rebadged) is not accurate.
I guess there is no proof.

I think if we call Lexicon and ask them if their BD player is a rebadged Oppo, Lexicon would say, "NO WAY!" :D

And if we call Oppo, what would they say? Nothing?

J

JAC

Enthusiast
As you can see here, Morris Kessler says that ATI makes their own amps, and they have been around for like 40 yrs; Morris Kessler also says that ATI make amps for "half a dozen other companies":

http://ati-amp.com/manuals/ATIBrochure.pdf

Earthquake was founded in 1985:
http://www.cepro.com/guide/earthquake_sound

And ATI was founded in the 1960s.
I am still not sure that answers the question.

There is no such thing (that I am aware of)as an ATI/Earthquake AMP. There are only ATI and Earthquake amps.

If you want to know who makes Earthquake amps call Joseph and ask him.

I was simply wondering why you posted the names together, when they share very little in common except they both are around 300wpc at 8 ohms.

Virtually everything else is different.

Size - different
Weight - different
Power - different
Power Transformers - different
Fully Balanced Circuit - different
Most other performance specs - different
Back panels - different
Features - different

J

JAC

Enthusiast
I guess there is no proof.

I think if we call Lexicon and ask them if their BD player is a rebadged Oppo, Lexicon would say, "NO WAY!" :D

And if we call Oppo, what would they say? Nothing?
Not trying to give you a hard time but I was simply asking for a clarification of the ATI/Earthquake designation.

I have sold and owned BOTH and they are not the same amps.

Whether ATI "actually" manufactures them or not, is not relevant. One is not simply a rebadge of the other.

The original question you responded to was:

What do you gentlemen think about CineNova products vs ATI

By your response, I got the impression you might have confused the Earthquake "CineNova" with the Cinepro amp and so was attempting to make distinctions.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The Dimensions, Weight, Performance, Topology, Operation, and Features are all different. A little review of those will show the differences.

Fine, pictures please.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I just got to the bottom of this. I called ATI on the phone and asked them bluntly.

They said that ATI make amps for "other companies", but NOT for Earthquake Sound or Cinepro.

And Earthquake Sound & Cinepro do NOT make any any amps for ATI.

So I was wrong.:D

J

JAC

Enthusiast
Okay, I just got to the bottom of this. I called ATI on the phone and asked them bluntly.

They said that ATI make amps for "other companies", but NOT for Earthquake Sound or Cinepro.

And Earthquake Sound & Cinepro do NOT make any any amps for ATI.

So I was wrong.:D
That was the same answer I got from both parties each time I ask (and I asked a few times), but you never know.

What I did know is that they are not the same amp or a simple rebadge.

Didn't mean to rattle your cage, I was just trying to make sure someone was not misinformed.

I have heard that "rumor" spread for years, and felt it best to ask what you meant.

Now for the rumor that they make amps for Outlaw (which I beleive "is" true)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That was the same answer I got from both parties each time I ask (and I asked a few times), but you never know.

What I did know is that they are not the same amp or a simple rebadge.

Didn't mean to rattle your cage, I was just trying to make sure someone was not misinformed.

I have heard that "rumor" spread for years, and felt it best to ask what you meant.

Now for the rumor that they make amps for Outlaw (which I beleive "is" true)
Do you think it's possible they are under some kind of legal contract not to reveal anything?

It would make sense to me.:D

Have you looked at the Cinepro pre-pro vs the ATI pre-pro? Just look at the back panel. They look almost IDENTICAL to my own naked eyes.:D

And yet, both parties completely deny any affiliations.:D

J

JAC

Enthusiast
Do you think it's possible they are under some kind of legal contract not to reveal anything?

It would make sense to me.:D

Have you looked at the Cinepro pre-pro vs the ATI pre-pro? Just look at the back panel. They look almost IDENTICAL to my own naked eyes.:D

And yet, both parties completely deny any affiliations.:D

Of course they are.

I haven't compared the CinePro PrePro since I am not a dealer, but they do appear similar.

Could be they copy the already existing board, could be they by back panels prestamped by the same supplier, or could be they are OEM'd, or could be other.

I don't know anyone at CinePro and wasn't sure they were still in business.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Of course they are.

I haven't compared the CinePro PrePro since I am not a dealer, but they do appear similar.

Could be they copy the already existing board, could be they by back panels prestamped by the same supplier, or could be they are OEM'd, or could be other.

I don't know anyone at CinePro and wasn't sure they were still in business.
To the best of my knowledge Cinepro used to be build by Ab International, or at least they used their plattform. AB was also the OEM for Verastarr and a few more companies. Cinepro makes their own amps now. These are mostly build to order. Now their Pre-Pro is another story, it is a rebadged Lexicon, now if Lexicons Pre-Pros are build by ATI, then it's an ATI Pre-Pro.

Cinepro 3k6

AB International used to also make Verastarr Amps

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis