Made in America Amps, Receivers, Processors?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the new Acurus and Aragon products from Indy Audio Labs made their appearance at CEDIA this year. No word (that I have seen) on lineups or where the products are made. Sounds like they are trying to round up dealers at this point.

We need confirmation that the new Acurus/Aragon amps have full speaker protection circuits!:D

S

Silverpenguin

Audioholic Intern
I'm having a psychic moment ... In your future I see ... Made in China. :D
Nay....I think not. Japan...maybe...but not China. I may wait a bit...until it is more palatable. Right now our front entrance is torn up as we have a new entryway put in....which hurt a bit....but picking up my wife a new Porsche is what really put the brakes on a nice American made amp. Add to that my new set of speakers....and my notorious "tight wad" inclinations are multiplied ten fold. Oh, while we were at it, we picked up a new blender 100% American made. Very nice too. It makes one heck of a Margarita. :D Our new car may not be made in America, but at least it isn't Chinese.....yet. You must be channeling John Edwards or something. :D:D:D I avoid China like the plague.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
We need confirmation that the new Acurus/Aragon amps have full speaker protection circuits!:D
It sounds as if that would go against their philosophy (under Klipsh):

Most amplifiers on the market today are overly complex and require rows of integrated circuits (IC's) for protection circuitry, control loops and signal buffering. This has a negative impact on sound reproduction. The 3002 is a 2-channel amplifier that achieves its high output using the fewest active components possible for a more dynamic, more powerful and more detailed performance. The minimalist approach of our design results not only in better sound, but in amplifiers that consistently rate among the most reliable available at any price.
I haven't been able to find much in the way of discussion of this decision or people who have fried their speakers via Google. Have you read much about it?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Pardon my ignorance...but...Am I asking too much? Would it be more realistic for me to seek out a unicorn or a pixie? Can someone please give me a list of what I seek......IF it even exists? :confused:
It may have been mentioned in one of the flyover pages: but McIntosh's factory is in Binghamton, NY.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds as if that would go against their philosophy (under Klipsh):

I haven't been able to find much in the way of discussion of this decision or people who have fried their speakers via Google. Have you read much about it?
At one point I had 4 Acurus 200X3 amps and 4 RL-11 pre-amps for a 7.1 system.

When I found out that the Acurus lack proper speaker protection, I immediately sold all of them!:eek:

No way I'm buying any amps that don't offer superb speaker protection circuits.

As far as better sound without the protection circuits? Please!:rolleyes:

Compare the measured specs of the Acurus/Aragon to ATI or other amps out there, you won't find any differences.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Compare the measured specs of the Acurus/Aragon to ATI or other amps out there, you won't find any differences.
No, I wouldn't expect to.
Given how many amps they have in circulation, it seems like there would be some postings show up on a Google search. However, I didn't look under Acurus, so I will see if that yields more info.
I guess I am wondering if there was a reason why they thought it was not necessary to have a speaker protection circuit. It just seems like a very strange decision.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I am wondering if there was a reason why they thought it was not necessary to have a speaker protection circuit. It just seems like a very strange decision.
And I don't think many people realized that.

I did not realize that after reading all the rave reviews!

The only reason they gave that I can tell was that it produces "better" sound quality. But I don't believe it because the measured specs prove otherwise.

It's not like it produced a crosstalk of -140dB. It was more like -90dB @ 1kHz, which is pretty good, but not the best. Same thing with THD & SNR (which was like -95dBA @ 1kHz/ 1watt, which is pretty good, but again not the best).

For their sake, I hope Indy Audio Labs put some modern speaker protection circuit into these new Acurus/Aragon amps!:eek:

It makes you wonder why Acurus/Aragon (Mondial Designs) went bankrupted in the first place!:eek:

S

Silverpenguin

Audioholic Intern
You're hoping for an American-made receiver?

I've seen American-made pre-pros & amps, but I've never heard of American-made receivers.
My bad. I do mean a pre-pros amps....but was considering just a receiver even if it is made in Japan. If I had more faith in the future of our economy....I might be more willing to spend a bit more now. However, I'm not about to turn this into a political debate. :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
My bad. I do mean a pre-pros amps....but was considering just a receiver even if it is made in Japan. If I had more faith in the future of our economy....I might be more willing to spend a bit more now. However, I'm not about to turn this into a political debate. :D
This http://www.bkcomp.com/products/preamp-receivers/?tx_ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=22&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=35&cHash=9013271f13 is the only AVR I know of that is US made. It says so on the box, but who knows?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, hopefully I won't have to buy another pre-pro or amp, but if I do, I will be looking at B&K!

Both amps & pre-pros made right here in the USA with 5 yrs warranty. Now that's how it is done!

The only thing I would add to the B&K pre-pro is another HDMI output; having 2 HDMI outputs is pretty much standard these days for high-end.:D

But I think B&K is my new favorite components for now.

But I hope I will never have to buy another pre-pro or amp again (fingers crossed:eek:).

E

EJD

Junior Audioholic
Even though their website is still up, word is that B&K has folded.

Fair amount of discussion on this over at AVS.

S

Silverpenguin

Audioholic Intern
That's what I get for getting my hopes up. I guess I'll just have to go separates when the time comes.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Say it ain't so.:(

It will be yet another sad story.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1076031&page=41
I hope not. I did enjoy a few of their products over the years. Their power amps are very good and still bring in a nice price on the used market. On Pre-Pros they where always a little behind since new technolgy moves so fast. I am still going to hang on to my Ref 50 S2 for a few more years, although it is considered outdated but still sounds good to me. I guess I just like the way it looks and the quality build.

S

Silverpenguin

Audioholic Intern
I can't blame you there. She is a purdy. ;) .....if it ain't broke.....

Among all these offerings....I'm still trying to find the best bang. It is a harder decision than I thought it would be.

S

Silverpenguin

Audioholic Intern
So, I've think I've decided on an amp. I like to look of the Outlaw 7900.

Buy The Model 7900 for $3499 and get the Sherwood Newcastle R-965 A/V Receiver For Free! (shipping not included)

However, the Sherwood A\V it comes with doesn't have the HD audio I was looking for. Seriously....does it really make a difference? Will a AVR with the proper HD codecs give my HD movies a better audio experience...or is it just a bunch of BS?

The other option is the Emotiva UPA-7. It is definitely cheaper...but not as much umph.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, I've think I've decided on an amp. I like to look of the Outlaw 7900.

Buy The Model 7900 for $3499 and get the Sherwood Newcastle R-965 A/V Receiver For Free! (shipping not included)

However, the Sherwood A\V it comes with doesn't have the HD audio I was looking for. Seriously....does it really make a difference? Will a AVR with the proper HD codecs give my HD movies a better audio experience...or is it just a bunch of BS?

The other option is the Emotiva UPA-7. It is definitely cheaper...but not as much umph.
Unless it's a Mark Levinson or Krell, there is NO WAY I'm buying an AVR withOUT TrueHD & DTS-HD MA.

New Pre-pro withOUT HD-audio (ask for $800):
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1290972039

"Like-new" 7-yr warranty 200wpc x 7ch amp (ask for $2000):
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1290972607

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis