ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Greg,

if that really holds true, which I do believe, then there's kinda misconception regarding to the MB issues, IMO.

It's widely spread that the Oppo with Faroudja chip is going to have MB issues. Same case applies to Pana plasmas though.

People are then blaming the wrong person in this case, right?

Would like to elaborate a bit better on this:)

Regards, Chuck
My thoughts are on the 1st page of this thread. I may be way off but I have tried the disc on a BR/DLP system, UC DVD/LCD system and a UC DVD/Plasma system and it looks the same on all of them.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
tcm5,

IMO there's a lot of hype on the upscaling players though.

I do believe that a good de-interlacing process (480i to 480p) is much more important than the upscaling itself.

Matter of fact, when I sent you the first msg, I forgot to mention 2 things, as we've the same TV and player:

* to set resolution at 480p, in order cross-check whether MB showed up and

* to compare the overall picture quality at 480p and 720p as well.

Anyway, I might be technically wrong, but to my eyes the best shot in terms of PQ is 480p though and that leads me to believe that the built-scaler in the Pana does a better upscaling job than that in the Oppo. Who knows??

Regards, Chuck

T

tcm5

Audioholic Intern
Mb

I think what needs to be said is that MB is caused by overly compressed data on DVDs. Some components or combinations of components may enhance MB more than others. Certain scenes in movies with the right combinations of shadow and/or light and/or large mono colored areas may be more prone to MB. When people discuss MB they always reference a certain scene in a movie and everyone references the same scene, so lots of people see it regardless of their equipment.

T

tcm5

Audioholic Intern
More MB

Avliner, I tried all 4 resolutions on the Oppo and saw MB with all. As far as PQ I believe 720P into the Panny looks better than 480P and 1080P and about the same as 1080I. It is hard to make a comparison because of the time lag when you switch outputs. It would be nice to have a direct A/B comparison.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Thanks tcm5,

will do some A/B comparisons indeed.

BTW yesterday I saw a jaw-dropping movie in terms of PQ and was really surprised by the color details overall. Film's name is Marie Antoinette, directed by Sofia Coppola, with Karen Durnst on main role.

Man, the Oppo did an impecable job, really amazing (@ 480p).

Regards, Chuck

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget that the display can do processing too. If you are sending the display any video format other than the native pixel resolution, it is processing the signal. For example, most "720p" fixed pixel displays have pixel resolution 1366x768. So even if you send it 720p from a player, it is processing to fit the screen.

In most cases the processing in the display is of lower quality than a player or external processor. This is why it is recommended to set the player format to be closest to the display native resolution. By doing so you eliminate the processing in the display.

T

tcm5

Audioholic Intern
up or down

Is it better to upconvert or downconvert.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis