Low Budget/Best Bang for your buck system...

I

ibis55

Audiophyte
I'll try to keep this straight forward:

• First System
  • Budget: Up to $800
  • Movie Quality > Music Playing is what I want
  • Quality Bass if possible on that budget
  • Surround sound
  • Media Room is about 17ft by 17ft

Those are my desires and restrictions. I almost bought a HTIB last night until I read a post on another forum which basically slammed a kid for wanting to buy a Onkyo HT-S8409 HTIB (The one I was looking at buying :eek:) The poster suggested the kid buy these instead:

• Pioneer VSX-821-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver
  • Jamo S606HCS3 S-606-HCS-3 5.0 speaker system

OR

• Jamo S426HCS3 5pcs Home Theater Speaker System

Bottom Line: I'm new and lazy. I'd like someone to hold my hand and tell me what the best set up would be given my interests and budget, along with any additional tips such as buying a certain gauge speaker wire, etc.

I know I'm asking for alot, but don't really care. Flame away if you want about how lazy I am...I won't be offended ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want the best sound for your money, the way to go on a limited budget like that is a 2.0 or 2.1 system, not a 5.1. If you just just want a surround sound system, the Jamos are probably not too bad for a new system, but your money would go further if you look at used equipment.

I

ibis55

Audiophyte
Thanks for the links and advice. Will look into all of them and start from there :D

I

ibis55

Audiophyte
Nice! Thanks for the updated links STRONGBADF1.

*Will I ever need to look into an amp or should the basic receiver take care of it all?
*Do I need to pay attention to how many watts/channel when buying a receiver? If so whats an avg watt/channel to look for?

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Nice! Thanks for the updated links STRONGBADF1.

*Will I ever need to look into an amp or should the basic receiver take care of it all?
*Do I need to pay attention to how many watts/channel when buying a receiver? If so whats an avg watt/channel to look for?
You're welcome.

Depends on how loud you want to listen at, but at $800 for everything all at once, you are limited. If you like it loud I would try to find efficient easy to drive speakers then buy as much power as you can afford.

Refurbished and or the used market can do you well if you are inclined to go that way.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
For inexpensive and high efficiency consider these:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/BIC-Acoustech-HT-64-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair/1966941/product.html

The only member here that has extensive experience with these that I can think of is Matt34. PM him and see what advise he has.

I would want quality of sound over quantity but if this is for 95% movies ultimate sound quality might come second to verbal intelligibility and or "boom factor".

Look into the Infinity Primus line also. Not so much for efficiency but more for a quality speaker that go's on sale at some good pricing at times.

Last edited:
C

cardude99

Enthusiast
just food for thought, though i am no expert, i just bought the onkyo ht s5500 and i absolutly love it. im sure there are better setups but for $480 on amazon, plus another 100 for speaker mounts, wires and plugs, it is a great deal. I did an entire 7.1 system fully mounted and sounding great, IMO, for less than $600. i think for a budget it is a great way to go.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the links and advice. Will look into all of them and start from there :D
ibiss, I really like Strong's advice with the SVS system and the Dayton sub, also the Pioneer's I think the sale ends tonight though. Pioneer FS51's $129 C21 center $49 and for $20 more get the BS41's $99. Newegg.com

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
The 5 P163's are an excellent choice as well, I've owned these and can attest they are hard to beat at $85 each, the Pioneer SP-BS41-LR are also a great bargain, you could get three pairs for $297 at Newegg. Hurry though, sale ends tonight, Denon 1612 for $178.......

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Agreed

I 2nd ATDG's recomendation here. That is a much better option than the others that have been discussed, imo.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Newegg had the Infinity P153 for $50 each free shipping a few weeks ago. That was a great deal.

I

ibis55

Audiophyte
lol I leave for the day and so many options now! ;)

I'm gonna scan through the new options tonight. I also got a local friend doing some research for me so between you guys and what he's got, I'm sure I'll find something.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I

ibis55

Audiophyte
Well Newegg just sent me a sales email and I couldn't pass it up for the price...

$49 - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair
$129 - Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair
$79 - Pioneer SW-8 100W Powered Subwoofer Each
$49 - Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker Each

Total Spent = $309.96
Total Saved = $250.00

I waited on the Receiver cause I wanted to ask if it was best to go with the same brand receiver as the rest of the system or since I've saved so much money and haven't even spent half of what I budgeted, to spend extra on a better receiver?

Currently the Pioneer one they're putting together with that deal is going for $179. Normally $249 so that's another $70 in savings:

Pioneer VSX-522-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver

Which way do you guys think I should go? Upgraded receiver or just stick with this for now?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP AND INPUT!!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
$49 - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair
$129 - Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair
$79 - Pioneer SW-8 100W Powered Subwoofer Each
$49 - Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker Each
Total Spent = $309.96
Total Saved = $250.00

I waited on the Receiver cause I wanted to ask if it was best to go with the same brand receiver as the rest of the system or since I've saved so much money and haven't even spent half of what I budgeted, to spend extra on a better receiver?
Pioneer VSX-522-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver
Which way do you guys think I should go? Upgraded receiver or just stick with this for now?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP AND INPUT!!
Well, since you asked - the Pioneer sub is the weakest link in your
system - it has no real dynamics. I would have have gone with the
Energy S10.3 sub, which is in another league, and with much better
dynamics and SPLs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026
Another receiver to look at, is Denon 1712 - I would aim higher than
the 522 receiver > And, the Denon 791 receiver is also a nice one.
DENON AVR-1712 7.1 A/V Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I

ibis55

Audiophyte
Well, since you asked - the Pioneer sub is the weakest link in your
system - it has no real dynamics. I would have have gone with the
Energy S10.3 sub, which is in another league, and with much better
dynamics and SPLs.
Newegg.com - Energy S10.3 Subwoofer Each
Another receiver to look at, is Denon 1712 - I would aim higher than
the 522 receiver > And, the Denon 791 receiver is also a nice one.
DENON AVR-1712 7.1 A/V Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

Good Luck!

Took your advice and bought the sub! :D I'll just return the pioneer sub. Now for the receiver...still debating on which one...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis