I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
“ITI” it appears everything turned out well with your speaker acquisition. It does sound like they would serve my purpose well and be well below my budget. Will you be putting up some pictures soon? Thanks for posting back with your results. I’ll let everyone know how it all works out with my situation. Thanks,
I can try to get some pics this weekend. They need a little TLC. I'm probably a bit different from most users on the site. I have no need or room for these. I just bought them because I always wanted a pair. Because of my business, I have so so many different pieces of audio equipment and TVs or projectors that come in as samples or that I get good deals on, etc litterally laying around my house not being used for months at a time or until jobs are completed.

So I don't have these like, set up in a room at this point. Maybe my new computer speakers or something?

Anyway, report back and let us know!

M

merlin1952

Audioholic Intern
Well, I found a set of DCM-10 speakers nearby and picked them up last Sunday. I now have them connected but haven’t taken time to really set them up. All I’ve done so far is to reprogram the front left and right to “large” (which automatically shuts off the sub) in my little Pioneer VSX-1020K. So far I think they sound great, much better than the Bose 301s I was using. I suppose I’ll eventually get around to thoroughly setting them up but so far I’ve been happy with what I’ve heard from them just the way they are set now. Thanks to ITI for recommending them and to everyone for their help with my problem.

M

merlin1952

Audioholic Intern
I’m back with an update and a correction. I went in and deleted the MCACC that I had set up with the Bose 301s and listened to the DCMs for a while. I then went back in and manually took out a little of the low frequency (x.over from 50 to 100). Since then I’ve loved every sound that has come out of them. I’ll save this setting for music and then go back in sometime and set up a MCACC for movies and that should do it for me, for now anyway. Now for the correction; A few weeks ago I announced that I had located a set (actually 2 sets) of DCM-10s nearby and had purchased a set of them ($100). I connected them and liked them so well for the money that I decided to see if the other set was still for sale ($75). They were so I made arrangements to get them this past Sunday. A side note here; the first set was nice though not cosmetically in perfect shape but acceptable so I brought them home and connected them. I (and especially my wife) was surprised at the size of the towers. They just took up so much room but hey they sounded so much better than the Bose it was worth the inconvenience. However, after going this past Sunday to get the second set, (that are in near perfect shape) I quickly discovered that my first set was not DCM-10s, as had been advertised, but in reality DCM-12s. This last set sounds just as good in my living room as the first set and my wife is much (MUCH) happier with the footprint. At this point the 12s are likely to end up in the “man cave” I have in the works. So it has really been a win/win situation all around. I’m sure there are better sounding sets of speakers out there but I have 2 sets that I am truly happy with the sound of and only have $175 invested, so I’m very happy. Thanks to everyone for their help.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I’m back with an update and a correction. I went in and deleted the MCACC that I had set up with the Bose 301s and listened to the DCMs for a while. I then went back in and manually took out a little of the low frequency (x.over from 50 to 100). Since then I’ve loved every sound that has come out of them. I’ll save this setting for music and then go back in sometime and set up a MCACC for movies and that should do it for me, for now anyway. Now for the correction; A few weeks ago I announced that I had located a set (actually 2 sets) of DCM-10s nearby and had purchased a set of them ($100). I connected them and liked them so well for the money that I decided to see if the other set was still for sale ($75). They were so I made arrangements to get them this past Sunday. A side note here; the first set was nice though not cosmetically in perfect shape but acceptable so I brought them home and connected them. I (and especially my wife) was surprised at the size of the towers. They just took up so much room but hey they sounded so much better than the Bose it was worth the inconvenience. However, after going this past Sunday to get the second set, (that are in near perfect shape) I quickly discovered that my first set was not DCM-10s, as had been advertised, but in reality DCM-12s. This last set sounds just as good in my living room as the first set and my wife is much (MUCH) happier with the footprint. At this point the 12s are likely to end up in the “man cave” I have in the works. So it has really been a win/win situation all around. I’m sure there are better sounding sets of speakers out there but I have 2 sets that I am truly happy with the sound of and only have $175 invested, so I’m very happy. Thanks to everyone for their help.
I'm really glad you gave them a shot. And yes, the DCM-12 is really big when standing next to the 10 so the fact you were able to make a switch and be happier both with the sound and cosmetics is a win/win. Good for you and I'm happy you've checked back and enjoy them!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It does not matter if there are better speakers, as long as you enjoy
what you have - that is what counts.

J

JeffreySmith

Audiophyte
No highs now lows Bose it typically the reputation they get today because everything make is satellite speakers today. The 901 is a great speaker and can certainly do a fair job reproducing vinyl, it is the first speaker Bose ever made and put them on the map. Yes you can definitely do better speaker wise but I think the best thing to try would be separate power amp and preamp. Anthem makes a pretty good solid state setup for about $1400.00 (same company as Paradigm) just as a suggestion. If the sound you have now you are not happy with it's because of the integrated amp receiver. Try separates and see if that doesn't make a big difference in reproducing more "authentic" sound.

M

merlin1952

Audioholic Intern
I just finished a very unscientific comparison between the new (new to me) DCM-10s and my old Pioneer CS-99As I recently got back. I set the volume to -30db and listened to several old favorites and then switched over to the Pioneers and started the songs again. Admittedly I figured the DCMs would win but I thought I’d need to listen to all the songs again to fully make up my mind. Well, it took about 10 seconds of the first song to come to the obvious conclusion, even my wife noticed the difference right off. The DCMs sound way better than the old much used but never abused (by me anyway) Pioneers. I’m happy with my DCM purchase! I suspect the Pioneers are going to end up out in the new workshop.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis