JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Rojo:

I don't really know what perfect Q is, other than what you, and others have said. You may very well be correct. What I do know is, I think TLS has a lot of knowledge on the subject and I trust his advice. Not to say I don't trust yours or that you are unknowledgeable. I would love to build all of these subs and see what real world output is. I have a feeling this will by no means be my last sub project. Room acoustics and how sound interacts with a given space has become a desired knowledge for me. I have so many other projects going right now, I really don't have time to study this as much as I would like.
Yes I am still very interested in single digit subsonic bass. But maybe now is not the time for such goals. I did download WinISD and got barely into it and ran into problems. Just haven't had time to sit down with it. I also have REW downloaded. My USB cable never shipped, not sure why, but it was a blessing because of a recent tip on USB mics. ;) When I get WinISD figured out, I will of course proof TLS' recommendation. I will also model several others I have been eye balling.
I'm quite certain all of the subs mentioned have pros and cons, depending on your needs, space, and tastes. I have decided to go with the Dayton, and if it doesn't "squeak my ducky" i'll sell it and build something else.
As far as car audio, I'm pretty sure cabin gain due to the small space is a huge factor. I also thought smaller drivers had better control, but I have read many other examples of this not being the case. I don't recall where, if I find them I will post. Pretty sure it was on this forum tho.
"It's the journey" they say, and the destination will manifest itself. This may be the never ending quest, who knows.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I have decided to build the enclosure so it stands vertically as opposed to horizontally. My question is, does this dictate my driver placement. Will it make a bit of difference if the driver were mounted low, center or higher up on the baffle? The port will be in front. Can I exit the port high or low?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis