Looking for advice on a second sub

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Had to throw the diy thing in the ring :) I didn't have the time or space to do it until a few years ago, have had good results, and then you can afford 18"s :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Had to throw the diy thing in the ring :) I didn't have the time or space to do it until a few years ago, have had good results, and then you can afford 18"s :)
ps The girlfriend for the SC is a good idea, it is somewhat like a Miata :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for this input Pogre, it strikes a chord with me as I was super impressed by the PC12-Plus that was setup in an enclosed A/V room at Electronics Expo. Unfortunately that is out of my range, though they offered to sell it to me for $1025. The PB 2000 was also quite good once we got it playing, but I feel like I may want more.

I spoke with both Joe and Dr. Hsu. Joe thinks the speedwoofer 10 might not be right for me since I'm also looking for deep bass extension. Dr. Hsu has recommended the vtf3.5 crossed over at 50 hz with the supercube functioning as a mid bass module above 50 hz. An interesting option for sure. And since that was where you ended up going (minus the sc4000 as a mid bass module), it definitely has me intrigued. How large is your listening area Pogre?

Either way it seems like I need to save up a bit more before making an upgrade to something that I will more likely be happy with.
Don't even bother with using the SC4000 as a mid bass module with something like the VTF3.5. The VTF3.5 outpunches the SC4000 in mid bass so bad that the SC4000 would not be able to make a meaningful contribution to any setup with a VTF3.5 in it. If you can swing the budget to accommodate a VTF3.5, you should go for it, and give the Deftech to your GF. I think if you end up with a VTF3.5, you will then see how serious the difference is between the two and know the SC4000 is out of its league.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I attached a pdf of my layout that I sent to Dr. Hsu. He recommended a vtf3.5 in the corner near the tv. After doing a the subcrawl, I identified the corner to the left on the couch (in the pic) as a good place for the sub. I have since moved the SC4000 there and am now left deciding between several HSU subs, the vtf 3.5, 15H, or even the ULS-15. The sealed option looks very appealing to me. I always liked sealed subs in my cars, but that may have been because of the cabin gain. With either of the VTF's I could experiment with those options and see which I like.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I attached a pdf of my layout that I sent to Dr. Hsu. He recommended a vtf3.5 in the corner near the tv. After doing a the subcrawl, I identified the corner to the left on the couch (in the pic) as a good place for the sub. I have since moved the SC4000 there and am now left deciding between several HSU subs, the vtf 3.5, 15H, or even the ULS-15. The sealed option looks very appealing to me. I always liked sealed subs in my cars, but that may have been because of the cabin gain. With either of the VTF's I could experiment with those options and see which I like.
I have two VTF -3 MK5 subwoofers. I'd recommend those or the 15H. If you prefer sealed you can make them sealed. I was in camp sealed too, until I got the VTF 3.5. I like running them with both ports open now.

V

virtualdanger

Audioholic Intern
I'm in a similar situation myself. Am upgrading my receiver, and going from a 5.1 setup to a 5.2.4 setup. I'm keen to have Atmos, and also the benefits of 2 subs.

I currently have a 10 month old Polk Audio HTS12 sub-woofer. Have been quite happy with it.

Initially I was interested in trying out a different brand, but my reading all points towards matched subs, and avoiding subs with different characteristics.

So I'm assuming I am restricted to adding another HTS12. Correct me if I am wrong please?

If you're wondering what receiver I intend to use, its likely between the Denon AVR-X3600H and the Marantz SR6013. Both have individual configuration for the subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in a similar situation myself. Am upgrading my receiver, and going from a 5.1 setup to a 5.2.4 setup. I'm keen to have Atmos, and also the benefits of 2 subs.

I currently have a 10 month old Polk Audio HTS12 sub-woofer. Have been quite happy with it.

Initially I was interested in trying out a different brand, but my reading all points towards matched subs, and avoiding subs with different characteristics.

So I'm assuming I am restricted to adding another HTS12. Correct me if I am wrong please?

If you're wondering what receiver I intend to use, its likely between the Denon AVR-X3600H and the Marantz SR6013. Both have individual configuration for the subs.
If you're happy with the Polk now, sounds like a second might be a good way to go for you, and probably the friendliest way for the budget. Personally I'd take the opportunity for better subwoofage (wouldn't ever consider a Polk sub myself) and upgrade.

V

virtualdanger

Audioholic Intern
The next question is placement.

The room is not a dedicated home theater room, rather a re-purposed living room. For the most part its 16.4 x 9.4 feet. It is separated from the dining area it opens out into by curtains.

Below is the existing room layout:
  • I'm using a roof mounted projector
  • Front Left and Right speakers are slightly off-axis, pointed towards the listening position
  • Surround Left and Right are sadly a little behind the listening position (as they are wall mounted)
2510 HT Option 1.jpg

Below is a proposed room layout:
  • Existing Sub 1 position has been changed
  • Sub 2 has been included
  • Also providing an option for Surround Left and Right (Let me know if this is better suited than the existing position)
  • Another option is to leave the Surround speakers as they currently are (first image above), and just move the Couch a little behind.
2510 HT Option 2.jpg

The sub positions are based on Gene's YouTube videos and guides for multi sub placement. For 2 subs the suggestion was the front center and rear center of the room; opposite each other. I cannot do exactly center, but this is the next closest thing.

V

virtualdanger

Audioholic Intern
If you're happy with the Polk now, sounds like a second might be a good way to go for you, and probably the friendliest way for the budget. Personally I'd take the opportunity for better subwoofage (wouldn't ever consider a Polk sub myself) and upgrade.
Absolutely; budget is a big factor, and getting 2 new subs would considerably add to my overall upgrade plan.

I did consider SVS, but they are quite a bit more expensive. If it was just adding 1 to the existing setup it may have been doable; but 2 is biting off more than I can handle for now.

Btw, worth mentioning that I live in the Philippines, and costs are generally more than the US. The SVS SB1000 is around USD 800, and the SB2000 is USD 1100. Not to mention stocks being quite limited. The HTS12 is USD 550.

Let me know of your thoughts and suggestions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely; budget is a big factor, and getting 2 new subs would considerably add to my overall upgrade plan.

I did consider SVS, but they are quite a bit more expensive. If it was just adding 1 to the existing setup it may have been doable; but 2 is biting off more than I can handle for now.

Btw, worth mentioning that I live in the Philippines, and costs are generally more than the US. The SVS SB1000 is around USD 800, and the SB2000 is USD 1100. Not to mention stocks being quite limited. The HTS12 is USD 550.

Let me know of your thoughts and suggestions.
Might want to start your own thread. Yes your location would change budget and availability quite a bit....and this review sounds like this is an improvement from Polk compared to some of their other recent subs. Still, I'd rather have a better sub myself. Why would you move to a sealed sub, tho?

V

virtualdanger

Audioholic Intern
Might want to start your own thread. Yes your location would change budget and availability quite a bit....and this review sounds like this is an improvement from Polk compared to some of their other recent subs. Still, I'd rather have a better sub myself. Why would you move to a sealed sub, tho?
Thanks for sharing the review; I did read it prior to my purchase. It is one of the only good reviews of the HTS12 I've come across.

Not particular about sealed; I did consider the PB1000 as well, which was similarly priced.

Is there a benefit to starting a fresh thread versus reviving an old one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for sharing the review; I did read it prior to my purchase. It is one of the only good reviews of the HTS12 I've come across.

Not particular about sealed; I did consider the PB1000 as well, which was similarly priced.

Is there a benefit to starting a fresh thread versus reviving an old one?
LOL didn't realize how old this thread was....but you might get more input from your own current thread, too.

The PB1000 is only a 10" vs the SB1000 being a 12" fwiw. As the room volume (and space open to the room) looks to be on the large side (second look maybe not so large) I'd go with ported over sealed.

Mark's no measurement reviews aren't my favorite but he's been around the block a coupla times :), one of the better Polk reviews I've seen as well.

Last edited:
V

virtualdanger

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input, I will start a fresh thread then. More input is certainly a good thing.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, holy thread revival! For what its worth I ended up building a sealed 18" sub and I love it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis