Looking for advice on a second sub

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So as my title says I'm looking to add a second sub. The system is in a roughly 3000 ft^3 space (open floor plan between living room and kitchen area) and consists of the following:

Samsung UN55H7150
Denon AVR-X4000
Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 950 mains, VR 10 center, NHT Superzero 2.1 surrounds
Deftech Supercube 4000

Lately I've been not as happy with my sub as I initially was and I'd really like a bit more rumble and low end extension for movies/tv (~25% of my usage) and I really miss that punch/kick in the chest feeling from my old car audio systems when listening to music (~75% of my usage). I listen to mostly rock/metal and industrial music so something that is clean and good with heavy bass.

So I'm wondering if it is best to go with another sc4000 or if I should look at adding something else like an RSL speedwoofer 10s or or Hsu VTF-1 MK3 (or vtf-2 mk5?) or one of the SVS subs? Ideally I'd like to keep the price around $500, but I'm willing to save a little longer and spend up to around $700 if it will get me to a class of sub I'd be happier with.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So as my title says I'm looking to add a second sub. The system is in a roughly 3000 ft^3 space (open floor plan between living room and kitchen area) and consists of the following:

Samsung UN55H7150
Denon AVR-X4000
Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 950 mains, VR 10 center, NHT Superzero 2.1 surrounds
Deftech Supercube 4000

Lately I've been not as happy with my sub as I initially was and I'd really like a bit more rumble and low end extension for movies/tv (~25% of my usage) and I really miss that punch/kick in the chest feeling from my old car audio systems when listening to music (~75% of my usage). I listen to mostly rock/metal and industrial music so something that is clean and good with heavy bass.

So I'm wondering if it is best to go with another sc4000 or if I should look at adding something else like an RSL speedwoofer 10s or or Hsu VTF-1 MK3 (or vtf-2 mk5?) or one of the SVS subs? Ideally I'd like to keep the price around $500, but I'm willing to save a little longer and spend up to around $700 if it will get me to a class of sub I'd be happier with.
Well all good choices I think. You can't go wrong with any of them. I'd personally scrap the SC4000 and start new with another brand like SVS or HSU. I have a SVS PB-1000 and for the money it's really impressive. It does the job for me. HSU is a favorite here too. RSL is a great company with incredible customer service. Give Joe Rogers a holler, he is awesome. He'll give you the most detailed emails in your life that incredibly honest. He will not over sell you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree with Het. Also agree with getting 2 subs. Hsu tends to offer a little more bang for your buck and SVS makes some pretty (and effective) subs.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't be able to get two right now, so that's why I'd like to add a second one.

Would it be problematic to run both the SC4000 and another sub together?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would sell the SC4000. It may just end up screwing up the sound of a higher performing subwoofer system. If you can swing a VTF-2 mk5, that thing is a boss. If you want really loud, check out the PA-150, it has very powerful mid bass.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't be able to get two right now, so that's why I'd like to add a second one.

Would it be problematic to run both the SC4000 and another sub together?
I use a SC8000 in conjunction with an SVS PC12+. They work pretty good together. The SC is about 4ft from the listening position, the SVS about 11 ft. At high volumes the SVS takes over for the most part but the SC helps fill or round out the bass.

Best thing to do would be to try it for yourself. Get the VTF-2.5 and put the SC as close to the listening position as you can and hear how it sounds. It cost nothing to try.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't like mixing sub brands, or speaker brands for that matter unless we are taking about Atmos. Then I think it's ok. I don't like mixing sub brands or ported with sealed. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not concerned with really loud, as I don't typically go above a max spl of 95db when watching movies/listening to music. I'm more concerned with it being clean, tight, and punchy around 100db than sacrificing that to get to higher spl's.

I am planning to go out to a nearby electronics expo to listen to some SVS subs this week.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not concerned with really loud, as I don't typically go above a max spl of 95db when watching movies/listening to music. I'm more concerned with it being clean, tight, and punchy around 100db than sacrificing that to get to higher spl's.

I am planning to go out to a nearby electronics expo to listen to some SVS subs this week.
How does one "listen" to subs at an expo? Will they have rooms and have done the work to set it up properly?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Electronics Expo is a store, not like an expo in a convention hall or anything like that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Electronics Expo is a store, not like an expo in a convention hall or anything like that.
Helps when you capitalize a store name like that :) Do they have a room for sub demos, with them properly setup by some who knows something? Or just a bunch of bozo audio salesmen in a giant warehouse setting?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Helps when you capitalize a store name like that :) Do they have a room for sub demos, with them properly setup by some who knows something? Or just a bunch of bozo audio salesmen in a giant warehouse setting?
Yeah, I guess I was being lazy about capitalization!

I'm not sure of the setup there. Will find out once I get there with some of my own music to listen to.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I guess I was being lazy about capitalization!

I'm not sure of the setup there. Will find out once I get there with some of my own music to listen to.
I think HD's point is, it'll sound different when you take it home. It really depends on how they have it set up in their demo room. To really accurately gauge it, it would have to be in a room ~the same size and dimensions as your own. This is where SVS can be a good option. You have 45 days to try it out in your room and decide if it's what you want. If you don't like it, ship it back on their dime. Their customer service is top notch too and they'll even help you with the selection based on your tastes and room size.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I know it will sound different in my setup, but I was hoping to at least compare several SVS subs to each other in a similar environment to see which I prefer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's highly room dependent for sub range of frequencies. Buy the most capable sub you can would be my advice, listening in a store, meh. I like the idea of an SVS in home trial....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know it will sound different in my setup, but I was hoping to at least compare several SVS subs to each other in a similar environment to see which I prefer.
I loved my SB1000's. Super smooth, silky bass. They just weren't big enough for my room. I'd have preferred to keep it in the family, but SVS' offerings for a pair of subs the size need are higher than I can afford. given a choice I'd have two 16 Ultras. At minimum I would need a pair of 13 Ultras.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I loved my SB1000's. Super smooth, silky bass. They just weren't big enough for my room. I'd have preferred to keep it in the family, but SVS' offerings for a pair of subs the size need are higher than I can afford. given a choice I'd have two 16 Ultras. At minimum I would need a pair of 13 Ultras.
Thanks for this input Pogre, it strikes a chord with me as I was super impressed by the PC12-Plus that was setup in an enclosed A/V room at Electronics Expo. Unfortunately that is out of my range, though they offered to sell it to me for $1025. The PB 2000 was also quite good once we got it playing, but I feel like I may want more.

I spoke with both Joe and Dr. Hsu. Joe thinks the speedwoofer 10 might not be right for me since I'm also looking for deep bass extension. Dr. Hsu has recommended the vtf3.5 crossed over at 50 hz with the supercube functioning as a mid bass module above 50 hz. An interesting option for sure. And since that was where you ended up going (minus the sc4000 as a mid bass module), it definitely has me intrigued. How large is your listening area Pogre?

Either way it seems like I need to save up a bit more before making an upgrade to something that I will more likely be happy with.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for this input Pogre, it strikes a chord with me as I was super impressed by the PC12-Plus that was setup in an enclosed A/V room at Electronics Expo. Unfortunately that is out of my range, though they offered to sell it to me for $1025. The PB 2000 was also quite good once we got it playing, but I feel like I may want more.

I spoke with both Joe and Dr. Hsu. Joe thinks the speedwoofer 10 might not be right for me since I'm also looking for deep bass extension. Dr. Hsu has recommended the vtf3.5 crossed over at 50 hz with the supercube functioning as a mid bass module above 50 hz. An interesting option for sure. And since that was where you ended up going (minus the sc4000 as a mid bass module), it definitely has me intrigued. How large is your listening area Pogre?

Either way it seems like I need to save up a bit more before making an upgrade to something that I will more likely be happy with.
The area my subs have to fill is ~6000^3. It's a pretty large open floor plan with a doorless entry to a den on my right. The VTF-3 MK5's are what I have right now and they do the trick. They're really good subs and you can tune them to play very deep (or more headroom). I really like that about them. You can dial them in to your own personal sweet spot. I highly recommend that sub. Save up for a second and you should be set. You might like it all by itself and nix the cube altogether while you save up for another.

I'd sell the cube and put the profit toward the second Hsu fund!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got any DIY skills? Budget for a pair of diy subs can be quite effective in terms of costs, perhaps not time or aesthetics :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Got any DIY skills? Budget for a pair of diy subs can be quite effective in terms of costs, perhaps not time or aesthetics :)
I do have some extensive DIY skills, just not in woodworking. o_O I've looked at some flat pack options but I also don't have much time to devote to building my own right now, as much as I would love to.

The area my subs have to fill is ~6000^3. It's a pretty large open floor plan with a doorless entry to a den on my right. The VTF-3 MK5's are what I have right now and they do the trick. They're really good subs and you can tune them to play very deep (or more headroom). I really like that about them. You can dial them in to your own personal sweet spot. I highly recommend that sub. Save up for a second and you should be set. You might like it all by itself and nix the cube altogether while you save up for another.

I'd sell the cube and put the profit toward the second Hsu fund!
If I decide to nix the SC altogether it will end up going to my girlfriend to add to her soundbar. Should be sufficient for her needs/desires. :) I do like the whole tweakability factor for the VTF series as I am a tinkerer at heart!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis