Looking for a sealed sub under $1500 to pair with KEF LS50

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Andrew, I also like the tight, punchy bass that is very well articulated. My room is exactly the same size as yours and at one time I owned dual PSA S1500's. One was plenty, but I added a 2nd to smooth things out more. However, another sub that you should consider is the Hsu ULS 15 MK2. It is very close to the S1500, but cost a bit less. Had one of them at one time as well. As far as the S1801 goes? I do not have any direct experience with it. But, knowing Tom V. it would be a stellar performer as well. Here is a link for the ULS 15 MK2:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

At times, you can get a B-stock ULS 15 MK2 for only $762 shipped! Mine was and I never found anything wrong with it. Both of my PSA S1500's were B-stocks as well. You would be hard pressed to go wrong w/any of these mentioned inmho. If you are interested in the ULS 15 MK2, then give Kevin a call as he will be more than happy to assist you. Best wishes! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
That was the first thing that popped into my head too! The ULS is a very nice sub. He could get 2 and be just a little over budget. That'd be what I'd do. Save a few more bucks and get a pair of them. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I matched my LS50 with a single Rythmik E15HP and my first attempt in integrated it using REW/minidsp doesn't look too bad but I have not done enough critical listening yet after the EQ.
If I had the room for too subs, I would have preferred two SVS SB1000 but whether that configuration would sound better in my set up, I will never know now. I do like the Rythmik/LS50 combinations, they seem to sound better than my R900 pair that sits side by side.

Black: LS50 only
Blue: E15HP only
Red : LS50 + E15HP with EQ

LS50, Sub Only, LS50+Sub & EQ'ed.jpg

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I matched my LS50 with a single Rythmik E15HP and my first attempt in integrated it using REW/minidsp doesn't look too bad but I have not done enough critical listening yet after the EQ.
If I had the room for too subs, I would have preferred two SVS SB1000 but whether that configuration would sound better in my set up, I will never know now. I do like the Rythmik/LS50 combinations, they seem to sound better than my R900 pair that sits side by side.

Black: LS50 only
Blue: E15HP only
Red : LS50 + E15HP with EQ

View attachment 22398
I forgot you had LS50s. They are, IMO, the best near-field monitors I've ever heard. Nice job integrating the sub and the overall EQ'd result. I bet the system sounds very good.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot you had LS50s. They are, IMO, the best near-field monitors I've ever heard. Nice job integrating the sub and the overall EQ'd result. I bet the system sounds very good.
Thanks, they do sound better now, at least psychologically as I knew that big hump at around 200-250 Hz is gone. Time permitting, I would like to play with the minidsp/REW EQ some more for a even smoother response.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is such a treat!! This is exactly my next big concern - merging the sub with LS50's, but I didn't want to ask too soon as I'm not in a position to buy yet, it would be just nagging. I have my heart set on SB13 Ultra for what it offers in adjusting bass - the controls. Since so far I didn't see any AVR looking good enough to be my choice, Ill probably end up with a stereo amp with pre-out to go to the sub and then back to main-in, as @Steve81 once recommended. But even this might change, the industry is slowly picking up on this 2.1 or 2.2 with a need for sub management, by the time I have the money for a sub and an amp, perhaps I'll find something I like.

This is true gold for me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Irv, I did not know this but the LS50's are modeled after the original LS 3/5a! Someone over @AVS brought that to me attention. The Dentons are as well. In fact, they are supposed to look a lot like the Harbeth's.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-harbeth-p3esr-monitor-speakers-with-free-shipping-2017-09-03-speakers

Very interesting times! Hope to hear the LS50's someday. It won't be soon enough as far as I am concerned. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
A

Andrew Huynh

Audiophyte
Thank you all. I've made up my mind and decided to go with dual PSA S1500. I really appreciated all the help!

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
My current system:
+speakers: KEF LS50
+subwoofer: svs sb 1000
+receiver: Denon avr x3300w

My room dimension: 12' x 15'

I've had the svs sb 1000 for more than 3 years(I used it with audio engine a5+), but I just got the KEF LS50 about 2 weeks ago and I felt like the bass of the svs is not tight and punchy enough for my taste. And I'm looking for a subwoofer that has the tightest and cleanest bass to pair the the KEF.

The two subwoofers I'm looking at is PSA S1500 and PSA S1801. Both are 725w RMS. How much space the subwoofer gonna take up is not a problem for me. I just want a the best sound possible.
I will be moving into a bigger room next year, so future-proofing recommendations will be very helpful!

Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Thanks everyone in advance!
Rythmik F15HP

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Rythmik F15HP
I've seen you know your way around subs, but wanted to ask If there's a particular reason for recommending Ascend other than that being a very good company?

Have you heard the combination? Do you have a reason to think this combo would outplay others/many?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've seen you know your way around subs, but wanted to ask If there's a particular reason for recommending Ascend other than that being a very good company?

Have you heard the combination? Do you have a reason to think this combo would outplay others/many?
He recommended Rythmik....or are you thinking about Ascend's sales arrangement with Rythmik?

Roen

Roen

Audioholic

I've only owned two subs, S1500 and F15HP.

F15HP is a more efficient sub, what I mean by that is more output for a lower powered amp.

S1500 is a better $ value.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
He recommended Rythmik....or are you thinking about Ascend's sales arrangement with Rythmik?
I didn't know about Ascend's sales arrangement with Rythmik? I did a web search and Rythmik came up under Ascend. I thought it was their model. I still get confused about them, they are not that well known in EU.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know about Ascend's sales arrangement with Rythmik? I did a web search and Rythmik came up under Ascend. I thought it was their model. I still get confused about them, they are not that well known in EU.
Separate companies....but you can bundle with Ascend speakers....or buy direct. Not sure if either exports to EU.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since the E15HP and F15HP are in discussion, Thought I'd point out the difference according to Rythmik. They are the same kit in different sized boxes. This gets an additional 0.5dB out of the F15HP for an additional $9 (shipped)!
I'm a little surprised that they have maintained production of both products given how close they are!
Unless space is important to you, it can be a "coin toss" decision!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since the E15HP and F15HP are in discussion, Thought I'd point out the difference according to Rythmik. They are the same kit in different sized boxes. This gets an additional 0.5dB out of the F15HP for an additional $9 (shipped)!
I'm a little surprised that they have maintained production of both products given how close they are!
Unless space is important to you, it can be a "coin toss" decision!
A larger enclosure is about more than just a a bit more output. It means that there will be a tad less backspring pressure on the driver. It will can behave in a more linear fashion. The reduction in distortion will be a greater difference than 0.5 dB increase in output.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A larger enclosure is about more than just a a bit more output. It means that there will be a tad less backspring pressure on the driver. It will can behave in a more linear fashion. The reduction in distortion will be a greater difference than 0.5 dB increase in output.
Rythmik didn't mention that issue.
Maybe the servo compensates for the delta in backspring on the driver.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Shady,
Talking of backspring pressure, this is why I never liked the idea of a sealed woofer enclosure. There is definitely some distortion caused by the non-linearity of the moving cone caused by compression and decompression of the moving mass. The extent will of course depend on the size of the box. It will be noticeable but that also depends on the excursion demanded from the transducer.

Once, I had the occasion to talk about that situation with a good friend of mine, the late Denis Ouellet, ex-president of Solen Electronics who was an EE. We were in agreement on this resulting behavior. Him and I have always built ported enclosures.

Unfortunately, when the listening room size, or the WAF does not allow the use of large enclosures, you are limited to the use of sealed cabinets. I wish everyone larger rooms and/or a more tolerant spouse in the future. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis