Looking for a 65 inch display with a 2k budget

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hi folks,

I currently have a 46 inch TV that just gets swallowed up by the room. Viewing distance is typically about 8 to 10 feet, and more when we are watching from the dining room. I got the ok from the lady to upgrade to a 65 inch display. With my budget being around 2k or so, I've been looking at the Sony 930d. The OLEDs look good in the store but they are just too expensive at 65 inches. I don't game, so lag input is not a big issue. The TV will be used mostly for sports and movies. My question is, is there anything else I should look at besides the Sony?
Thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung, LG, and Panasonic should also be in consideration. LEC/LCD is all you're going to find in that budget (unless you get the 55" LG OLED and deal with 10" less TV).

Look for local dimming instead of edge lit LED for a better picture. Then look to see what features you'll actually use in the "smart" TV portion.

Chances are in your budget the picture will look pretty good no matter who you pick (as long as you stick with local dimming LED).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sports is the same issue as gaming = lots of fast movement, so a gaming set will be good for sports as well. Agree on local dimming. I'd stick with Samsung or Vizio in LCD and LG as a last resort.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Samsung, LG, and Panasonic should also be in consideration. LEC/LCD is all you're going to find in that budget (unless you get the 55" LG OLED and deal with 10" less TV).

Look for local dimming instead of edge lit LED for a better picture. Then look to see what features you'll actually use in the "smart" TV portion.

Chances are in your budget the picture will look pretty good no matter who you pick (as long as you stick with local dimming LED).
Thank you very much. local dimming? Ok, I will go with that. I really like the OLED, but 55 inches doesn't seem like a really big difference over my 46 inch. I can't help feeling like I would have buyers remorse if I went 55. And 65 OLED is out of my budget. Smart features are not too much of an importance to me. I have the Oppo 105 and a firestick that pretty much handle all the streaming I need.
Thanks again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
55 is quite a bit larger than a 46 but you'll get used to it faster than going 60 or 65. I kind of felt that way going from a 47" to a 55" that I got used to it pretty quickly. I still have my 55" though :) I'll personally take a higher quality display vs. lower quality at a larger size.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
55 is quite a bit larger than a 46 but you'll get used to it faster than going 60 or 65. I kind of felt that way going from a 47" to a 55" that I got used to it pretty quickly. I still have my 55" though :) I'll personally take a higher quality display vs. lower quality at a larger size.
Yes, I completely agree. I definitely want a quality picture. The best picture I can afford on my budget. I am going to keep my 46 inch Sony and move it to the den. I've been reading reviews and talking to the guys at best buy but I trust the advice her more than anywhere else..

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
$2,200 - LG OLED - Certainly worth consideration if it's still there. If I were buying that size, I would likely jump on this deal right now, and have confidence with buying through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-65EG9600-65-Inch-Protector-Cleaning/dp/B016APOMLG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1478614023&sr=8-7&keywords=lg+65+oled
seems like good deal, but a) you're not really buying throught amazon - it's a 3rd party seller, not even fullfilment by amazon and b) I agree with @j_garcia - buy only LG as last resort. I have terrible luck with LG - in my small sample rate of 3 LG products - I had 100% failure rate before I'd consider it's passed reasonable timeframe.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When I sold TVs way back when LG was expensive and had the worst picture. Didn't sell too many. I really like the OLED picture, but longevity is still a big question that won't be answered for a few years. I myself am partial to Samsung as they seem to make a very good quality LED/LCD. Panasonic was always my favorite, but that was back when they still made plasmas.

I think the best thing you can do is go to a store that has most if not all of what we've recommended (BB would be the main one) and see them in person. Keep in mind that they are on store demo mode so what you see there is not the best reflection of what you'll get at home. I know that sounds contradictory, but they should let you play with the settings to put them on cinema mode or whatever natural looking mode there is. If not, then just grab something that makes your budget happy.

I got my last TV from Amazon which was great except for the freight company they used in my area. Not amazon's fault, but it was annoying dealing with them.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thank you all for the advice. I've been going to best buy once a week and looking at these TVs. They always play the same demo loop for the displays in the magnolia room, which really tells me nothing. I wish they give a live feed of perhaps a football game so I can get a true sense of what the set is capable of. One thing they did say was, if I took the TV home today, they would price match until Jan 15th (with the exception of black Friday to cyber Monday. So I guess that's pretty good.... This is a big investment, just don't wanna go wrong.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have 2 brothers. 1 brother would buy Vizio.

1 brother would buy LG OLED - actually he has made up his mind about spending $3K on the LG OLED.

I would buy a SONY TV.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. I just came back from BB. I chose the Sony 930D. The Geek squad are going to drop it off first thing Friday. I just couldn't see paying 3k for an OLED set right now. I hope it works out. I'll let everyone know. Thanks again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sony makes a good TV. Not sure who is making their panels now, but Samsung used to. If that one has Android TV in it you'll be pretty happy with everything it will be able to do.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thanks panteragstk- yes I think it does have Android TV. One feature I saw it has was i heart radio. Not sure what that is all about, or what it can do but I'm stoked.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Sony makes a good TV. Not sure who is making their panels now, but Samsung used to. If that one has Android TV in it you'll be pretty happy with everything it will be able to do.
I heard somewhere that they are a Samsung panel and internals setup/calibrated/programed, whatever it would be called, by sony. now I'm curious.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hmmm, I am curious as well. I'll do some research on this. In the meantime, I am anxiously awaiting the phone call today from the geek sqaud.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I heard somewhere that they are a Samsung panel and internals setup/calibrated/programed, whatever it would be called, by sony. now I'm curious.
I thought after Sammy quit making them exclusively that some would be Samsung and others would be Sharp. I'll have to see if I can find a source.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. I just came back from BB. I chose the Sony 930D. The Geek squad are going to drop it off first thing Friday. I just couldn't see paying 3k for an OLED set right now. I hope it works out. I'll let everyone know. Thanks again.
Congrats!

I am partial to SONY TVs. :D

My plan is to have all SONY TVs in my new house. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Congrats!

I am partial to SONY TVs. :D

My plan is to have all SONY TVs in my new house. :D
Nice. Thanks! I got it set up this weekend! Football never looked so good. I think the Sony 930D is a fine TV, especially for over $800 less then it was was going for in July. Very nice picture right out of the box. Than I went in and tweaked the settings a bit (turning down or off some of the motion settings. And I think it is better still. I only watched one movie so far, but it definitely seems like this TV will work out!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis