Looking for a 65 inch display with a 2k budget

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
What do you guys think about calibration??

The Sony rep and the BB rep mentioned that I should consider having the TV calibrated after 100 hours or so of viewing. Does this sound right? I never got my previous 46 inch Sony calibrated, but looked up several calibration settings on some on-line publications and applied them to that TV and ht the reset button after about 5 minutes. The "calibrated" settings looked awful. Dull, lifeless picture. It kinda turned me away from getting a TV professionally calibrated.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you want to do a basic calibration, I would pick up the Disney 'WOW!' Blu-ray calibration disc. It will give you a chance to understand some about color and getting things correct. At the end, there is still user preference involved, but it will help you avoid crushing your blacks, blowing out your whites, and maximizing your contrast. It will help you avoid over-sharpening the image as well, which some people love to do.

It's inexpensive and a good starter disc for calibration. You can do it several times and will save you a lot of coin vs. paying for a 'pro' calibration which you may not be super excited with.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You can also get calibration settings from AVS that generally get you off to a pretty good start. Calibration of displays is always the way to go IMHO.

Anything is better than leaving it stock. :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have tweaked it some and it looks better than it did out of the box. I am going to try some settings I found on-line and see if that gets the picture even better. I am glad I didn't go smaller than 65 though for sure.

I do have one issue with this TV though. My receiver is an older one with no HDMI (Yamaha rx-v2500) I know I need to update this, but it won't happen for another 6 months.

So here is the set up. HDMI and coax out of the Direct TV box. HDMI going to TV and coax to receiver for 5.1. HDMI and digital cable out of the Oppo 105, again HDMI direct to TV and digital cable to receiver. I also use the analog outs of the Oppo to the receiver. I also have an optical out of the TV to the receiver. Again I know this is not the ideal set up, but I'm not sure there is a better solution for now.

When I am listening to music through the analog outs of the 105 and switch HDMI sources with the TV, I get a a 5 second dropout of audio. Specifically when I am watching TV through the HDMI 1 input and change to HDMI 3 where the Oppo is. It didn't happen with my other TV. Anybody know what's going on here??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis