D

Darkdemise

Enthusiast
I recently purchased my Dad a LG 65inch C3 for Christmas gift. (He is 81 and never had a 4k TV, was still using an 50 inch 1080) I also got him a Roku Streaming 4K stick to go with that. Currently I have every streaming service you can get it seems on the roku. I removed all streaming services from the TV and added them all to the roku stick, since 1. He was already familiar with the Roku remote. 2. I wanted to de-clutter the tv of trash and let the TV do what a TV does, and let the designated streaming stick do what its purpose is, to stream content.

He is having issues currently with the TV basically going to black screen or screensaver after a bit of time while watching content on the Roku. He looked at the owners manual and it basically said if he didnt push a button on the remote, after a period of time it would do this. Sometimes the screen is just black, but when he hits the LG remote, it turns the tv off. He has to hit the power button again to turn it back on.

When I was out there last (he lives 800 miles away) I specifically made sure I turned off power saving mode so I don't think that is the issue. Are there any other settings that I need to try to have him adjust via phone that he could change in order to prevent this from continuing to happen in the future?

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently purchased my Dad a LG 65inch C3 for Christmas gift. (He is 81 and never had a 4k TV, was still using an 50 inch 1080) I also got him a Roku Streaming 4K stick to go with that. Currently I have every streaming service you can get it seems on the roku. I removed all streaming services from the TV and added them all to the roku stick, since 1. He was already familiar with the Roku remote. 2. I wanted to de-clutter the tv of trash and let the TV do what a TV does, and let the designated streaming stick do what its purpose is, to stream content.

He is having issues currently with the TV basically going to black screen or screensaver after a bit of time while watching content on the Roku. He looked at the owners manual and it basically said if he didnt push a button on the remote, after a period of time it would do this. Sometimes the screen is just black, but when he hits the LG remote, it turns the tv off. He has to hit the power button again to turn it back on.

When I was out there last (he lives 800 miles away) I specifically made sure I turned off power saving mode so I don't think that is the issue. Are there any other settings that I need to try to have him adjust via phone that he could change in order to prevent this from continuing to happen in the future?

Thank you in advance for your help and time.
I don't have Roku, but this page may help you. I think you need to disable the power saving settings. Only an idiot would design such a system, but unfortunately there is no shortage of twots these days.
  1. Press Home
    home button on Roku remote
    on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select Auto power savings
  6. Uncheck the box next to After 20 minutes of no interaction

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have Roku, but this page may help you. I think you need to disable the power saving settings. Only an idiot would design such a system, but unfortunately there is no shortage of twots these days.
  1. Press Home
    home button on Roku remote
    on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select Auto power savings
  6. Uncheck the box next to After 20 minutes of no interaction
I’d guess this is probably it. The default is to shut off after 20 minutes of no interaction (without telling you why it shut off). Very annoying.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’d guess this is probably it. The default is to shut off after 20 minutes of no interaction (without telling you why it shut off). Very annoying.
The dumbest part of it all is making that the default! I do not use streamers, and use home brewed purpose built computers instead. Getting versatile very high quality streaming is another area where DIY rules, and is superior to anything you can order online, or in a store.

D

Darkdemise

Enthusiast
Thank you for the responses. I had him try turning off the power saving mode on the Roku stick and thus far it seems this has solved the issue. Lets hope it continues. Thank you everyone for the advice. He does love it Robert.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis