Led Zeppelin & Rush

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>The Led Zeppelin double DVD &amp; Rush in Rio Double DVD are very good. If you like that kind of music. The Zeppelin DVD covers their whole career with footage all the way through. The sound is impressive considering it came from tape. The Rush DVD is one concert. The cool thing about it is, it covers their whole career also. It is a 2003 concert. It is a very long concert. The sound of this DVD is good, but the audience is extremely loud and clouds the music up a good bit. It does make it very exciting to feel their enthusiasm, as if you don't know already, these three guys are the most musically talented rock act ever. If you don't agree, watch the whole thing from beginning to end before you disagree. I was lucky enough to know this already!

Hope you enjoy!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>I need to pick up a Rush DVD - I've always loved that band. Sounds like this might be a cool disc.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo, I have to disagree with one thing you said, Rush is not the most talented 3 person rock act ever. Back in 1980 or 1981 I saw Rush, ZZ Top, and Triumph about a month apart. Triumph was by far the most talented follwed by ZZ top, Rush was a distant 3rd to those two.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I am speaking of musical talent. Watch the DVD and pay attention to the song structure. There are only a few bands that can come close to this kind of talent. I saw Triumph perform in the 80's. Very good band. Have seen Top twice. Most people like a basic 4/4 rythem with a chorus. Rush is far more complex. They are on a whole other level. I am not talking about personal preferance, I am talking about the complexity of the music itself. It is like the difference between my wife choosing a speaker &amp; I. She may prefer one, but I know what to listen for.
Again, I am speaking of the complex nature in which their music is composed, and I am also a musician and know what to listen for. Also, when you watch this DVD, be sure to notice how many times they make mistakes in each song. NONE! Zeppelin makes mistakes in almost every song, BUT, I prefer to listen to Zep because I like them better.
I hope you take no offense, &amp; if you get a chance, pick-up this DVD. You will love it!
</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo, I hear what you are saying. I like a lot of Rush songs, Limelight is one of my top 20 rock favorites. I almost bought that DVD the other day, and I probably will soon. I was just saying at the time I saw those bands Triumph was much better live. You don't have to explain complexity to me, you are talking to a Pat Metheny Junkie. You ever listen to SAGA, a very underrated rock band every bit as complex as Rush.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>O.K. You got me with those two. Might need to check them out! Ever heard of Dreamtheater? This is one of those I don't care to listen too, but man are they talented.
Anyway, thanks for the reply!</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo, Pat Metheny is not a rock artist though, he is a jazz fusion artist. If you want to give him a try get his new Concert DVD or get the cd's Secret Story, Letter from Home, or Still Life Talking. SAGA is a 80's band from canada, you can get their CD Worlds Apart on amazon and they have a new remasterd version how cool, I might get it. I have never heard any of the other albums but worlds apart is fantastic, and the songs Wind him up, Framed and Amnesia are brilliant. Also, it looks like they have some new stuff I have never heard. Hmmm gonna have to check it out myself
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Thanks!
</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>As a long time Rush fan I couldn't wait till Rush in Rio came out. Way better than Chronicles, the only other Rush on DVD offering.
The show is pulled from performances they did in Brazil in Novemebr 2002. I happend to see them on that tour, the first tour in over 5 years. Magnificent!

I also own the Zep disk, and again, magnificent! My next soon to be purchased DVD-A will be Led Zeppelin, How the West Was Won.
I've read mixed reviews on that one. Not so much the content, but rather the dvd-a mix. The disk is from a few shows they did in California, which differs from the DVD and CD versions of How the West Was Won.
Man, i can't wait to hear it!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I bought How the West was Won on cd before I bought my dvd-a player. The music is the best live Zep ever! The cd sound quality is good considering. I wish I had known I was going to build this system, I would have waited on that purchase. The DVD and cd have different live cuts. Some of the stuff on the cd is not on the DVD like, &quot;over the hills and far away&quot;. This live version will blow you away. Just wish I could see it!
</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>For sooooo long we were stuck with The Song Remains the Same as the only live Zepp available (unless you had some boots). Very poor audio quality. Zepp was famous (or infamous) too for putting on mediocre live shows and I think all the latest releases of How the West Was Won is the cream of the crop as far as live Zepp goes.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I agree. You can tell that they did some work &amp; fill-in on How the West was Won if you pay close attention. This is probably why some songs are not on the DVD. The performances at Earls Court on the DVD seems to be when they were at their peak. I guess this was around the time of Physical Graffiti. I believe this to be their best cd also, Although I like them all!</font>

B

BroonsBane

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I'd have to agree with your choice of Physical Graffiti. That's the cd or vinyl i play the most often when i'm in the mood for Zepp.

The one thing that bothers me on the DVD though is some of the cheesy mixing done with Page's guitars...flipping around the speakers. I hate that!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Oh my god! I just changed the audio option on dvd to dts. Set receiver to dts. Am watching the Earls Court performance on the Led Zep dvd &amp; the sound is amazing! This is also the first time I have viewed since I calibrated the system. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED WITH SYSTEM CALIBRATION!
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Zebra is another awesome trio. &nbsp;Lots of great songs and between the three of 'em, they play just about anything with strings or keys.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Zebra kicks @$$! Do they have a dvd out? For some reason that made me think about YES! &nbsp;
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Not that I'm aware of- but they do a new album that just came out late last year.</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I do not have the musical ears of some, like my wife - who earns very good coin playing the cello. &nbsp;We both just love Zep, me because they're loud and make great music (as opposed to just loud). &nbsp;My wife loves them because they play in key, the music is extremely well written, Robert Plant sings in key (and has perfect pitch), and probably a host of other reasons which are mostly technical. &nbsp;I do not know how to substantiate a lot of my wife passion for music because she's also a trekie.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Looking forward to hearing Zebras new stuff. Can't seem to find their original CD anywhere in stores.May order it online.Just picked up the Zep &quot;How the west was won&quot; &amp; it's pretty good but I prefer &quot;The song remains the same&quot;. Also just picked up the new &quot;Alice in Chains&quot; DVD. It's great! Wierd thing. The 1st time I watched it, it was black &amp; white. I checked my DVD player(Mitsub.) &amp; there was a setting for color or B &amp; W! Actually, now that I think about it, the option might have been in the setup options of the DVD itself.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Love Alice In Chains. I hate that Layne is gone. They were my favorite Seattle band from the 90's.
Is there any acoustic performances on the dvd?</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis