Klipsch RP-280F's to replace RF-82's

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I know you really want Klipsch, but there is no way to be sure that the Forte speakers will not be as hot as the RF IIs if there aren't any available measurements for them. If the Forte IIIs are aiming for that vintage Klipsch sound, that is could be some hot treble.

You know, you could always go for a brand that aims for neutrality. There are some good ones that will have a neutral response and will still have the dynamic range of that Klipsch...
I know, my one worry is there are no measurements of the new Forte III's but Klipsch has been on a run with making their speakers more neutral in music. If the RP-160M's are any indication of the direction Klipsch is going then I'm sold and those little beasties sound incredible for their size. Same with the sixes, they blow me away.

I can always return the Forte III's if they don't deliver, but I would really like to get a review of them. I'm calling Klipsch again tomorrow, if the "we're in a department meeting" message is still playing then I have to assume they're not interested in selling squat.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For some speakers with a good dynamic range and also linear response:
Pi Fours
JBL LSR6332
I doubt very much that the klipsch is going to match the neutrality of those. I also hear the QSC K series has a vert flat response. If you have a Guitar Center around you, you should see about going in to give those a demo.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I can tell you that on some songs the RF-82's can be unbearable which is why I stopped listening to music on them. In Home Theater they are incredible however, very dynamic.
Are they the reference I or II? I believe the RF 82's are from the same line as the II series as a replacement for the original RF 7's, until they came out with the RF 7 II's

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I know you really want Klipsch, but there is no way to be sure that the Forte speakers will not be as hot as the RF IIs if there aren't any available measurements for them. If the Forte IIIs are aiming for that vintage Klipsch sound, that is could be some hot treble.

You know, you could always go for a brand that aims for neutrality. There are some good ones that will have a neutral response and will still have the dynamic range of that Klipsch...
"but there is no way to be sure that the Forte speakers will not be as hot as the RF IIs if there aren't any available measurements"

LOL... wow, For starters suggesting that the Forte III will be anything but superior for most listeners, compared to the RFII is laughable. Nearly all stated speaker measurements are hot garbage and worthless. Even measurements from third parties. You're always best off personally auditioning, in home if possible.

"If the Forte IIIs are aiming for that vintage Klipsch sound, that is could be some hot treble."

Having heard Klipsch Forte's more in my life than not, I can ensure that the Forte is not 'hot treble'

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I claim no knowledge of the Reference II series except it was an incremental upgrade over the RF series. I have heard nothing but good about the Reference Premiere series so I would go with those if the Heritage is out of reach. I mean to infer no ill will about the Ref II's, but I prefer to go to a series that goes to the next level and the RP series supposedly does that. My RP-160M's sound better than my RF-82's, that says something.
The RF II introduced a more robust and cleaner crossover. The difference to me isn't subtle at all. The RP introduced a new waveguide for better dispersion. Having heard all three the biggest jump was actually from the RF to RF II, but I'd probably try and get the RP today if I was starting over.

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Are they the reference I or II? I believe the RF 82's are from the same line as the II series as a replacement for the original RF 7's, until they came out with the RF 7 II's

They were sold as RF-82 so they're the first version. I can't see how they could replace the RF-7's in any line-up. When I bought the RF-82's they had a pair of RF-7's in the same room, there was no comparison, the RF-7's blew them away, I just couldn't afford them.

If the RF-7 III's were out I would love to hear them, the wife is pushing back so not sure what's going to happen yet.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Pi Fours
JBL LSR6332
I doubt very much that the klipsch is going to match the neutrality of those. I also hear the QSC K series has a vert flat response. If you have a Guitar Center around you, you should see about going in to give those a demo.
I don't know, not a JBL fan, even if they measure better. I wouldn't mind hearing a pair, there are a few Guitar Centers near me, so I could check them out. I have to go out of town tonight but I'll look into them when I get back.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
"but there is no way to be sure that the Forte speakers will not be as hot as the RF IIs if there aren't any available measurements"

LOL... wow, For starters suggesting that the Forte III will be anything but superior for most listeners, compared to the RFII is laughable. Nearly all stated speaker measurements are hot garbage and worthless. Even measurements from third parties. You're always best off personally auditioning, in home if possible.

"If the Forte IIIs are aiming for that vintage Klipsch sound, that is could be some hot treble."

Having heard Klipsch Forte's more in my life than not, I can ensure that the Forte is not 'hot treble'
This is what I have heard from others, the Forte's sound incredible but I have never heard them myself. How would you say the Forte's compare to the RF-7's?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

If you understand the testing methodology and know how to correlate measurements with experience, then measurements are a very reliable guide to the speaker's sound.

I do know the sound character of some of the Klipsch Heritage speakers. Klipschorns and La Scalas sound terrific. Cornwalls and Heresys sound much more colored, not as good, but the Cornwalls were more open and less colored than the Heresy's. I could live with Cornwalls but would much rather have La Scalas or Khorns.

Personally, given the old school horn geometry of the Forte speakers, I would definitely want to see measurements or at least audition them first before pulling the trigger. Horns and waveguides have come a long way since the 1980s.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Pi Fours
JBL LSR6332
Don't prejudge the new Forte so quickly. The previous versions were very linear, and I suspect that this new iteration, being designed by the same guy (Roy), and with only minor changes ('mumps' horn, ti compression drivers), it will also most likely be linear.
But those are some excellent alternatives. I would throw the larger SEOS designs in there as well, they're fairly linear and equally as bangin'.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know, not a JBL fan, even if they measure better. I wouldn't mind hearing a pair, there are a few Guitar Centers near me, so I could check them out. I have to go out of town tonight but I'll look into them when I get back.
You probably won't be able to find the LSR6332s at a guitar center. The LSR6332s are about accuracy above all, check this graph out:

The on-axis response is just dreamy, but the off-axis response is more impressive. You will have a difficult time finding a more linear speaker at any price. MAYBE the M2s are more linear, and that is a big maybe. Of all manufactured speakers, the LSR6332s are among those that I admire the most. Extremely flat response, highly uniform off-axis response, THX PM3 certified- meaning they are certified to mix THX sound tracks on, not just reproduce. They were used in Harman's reference room for years. And, while not cheap, they do not cost an arm and a leg. They are like buying a Salon2's performance but without the pretty looks. One of the best choices for those who want pure performance for the dollar.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not a fan of any particular brand, in fact I didn't even consider Klipsch until their newer series came out because of the brightness, but if a speaker achieves a flat response, constant directivity with a flat off axis response, all while being capable of reference level output into a large room, it's basically met all of the requirements of a perfect speaker.

The maximum SPL of the LSR's at 1m is rated at 102dB. At 3m, which is close to the average 10' distance for home theater viewing, that translates to about 95.5dB. I've measured the RP-150m's outputting 105dB with a maximum of 3% THD (3.17% THD at 76hz) from 63hz-20khz at a distance of 3m. Above 200hz distortion never exceeds 1.5% at this level. Obviously I don't have an anechoic chamber, however with room treatments I have a +-5dB response unsmoothed at the listening position (9ft from the speakers), which is as close as I can get for a living room. Since we're comparing based on a speakers ability to accurately convey what was recorded, reference level listening requires a 105dB output of each individual speaker at the main listening position, if the JBL's are truly limited to 102dB @1m, that rules them out.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
They were sold as RF-82 so they're the first version. I can't see how they could replace the RF-7's in any line-up. When I bought the RF-82's they had a pair of RF-7's in the same room, there was no comparison, the RF-7's blew them away, I just couldn't afford them.

If the RF-7 III's were out I would love to hear them, the wife is pushing back so not sure what's going to happen yet.
The RF-7 was its own speaker and discontinued to make way for the RF-83, and RF 63. Soon those were discontinued when the RF-7II was introduced. The RF 82 was alongside the RF-7 and RF-83/63 and wasn't a replacement for anything.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Dollar for dollar I haven't heard JBL outperform Klipsch. Not saying it can't happen, or won't one day, but it hasnt' yet. I've got an open mind too, I don't care, but it's not happened yet.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not a fan of any particular brand, in fact I didn't even consider Klipsch until their newer series came out because of the brightness, but if a speaker achieves a flat response, constant directivity with a flat off axis response, all while being capable of reference level output into a large room, it's basically met all of the requirements of a perfect speaker.

The maximum SPL of the LSR's at 1m is rated at 102dB. At 3m, which is close to the average 10' distance for home theater viewing, that translates to about 95.5dB. I've measured the RP-150m's outputting 105dB with a maximum of 3% THD (3.17% THD at 76hz) from 63hz-20khz at a distance of 3m. Above 200hz distortion never exceeds 1.5% at this level. Obviously I don't have an anechoic chamber, however with room treatments I have a +-5dB response unsmoothed at the listening position (9ft from the speakers), which is as close as I can get for a living room. Since we're comparing based on a speakers ability to accurately convey what was recorded, reference level listening requires a 105dB output of each individual speaker at the main listening position, if the JBL's are truly limited to 102dB @1m, that rules them out.
I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but the LSR6332s are obviously well beyond playing 102 dB at 1m. Even the cheapy LSR305s would be well beyond 102 dB at 1m. I have seen the 6332s used in dubbing stages, so of course they can play much louder than that. They are mid-field monitors. They probably do not have quite the dynamic range of the Fortes, but I am sure in a typical living room they will get way louder than most people would ever care to listen at. I would not suggest them as an alternative to someone looking at Fortes if they couldn't stay clean at very loud levels.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
This is what I have heard from others, the Forte's sound incredible but I have never heard them myself. How would you say the Forte's compare to the RF-7's?
Which Forte, and which RF-7 model? There's A LOT of used Forte I and IIs out there for sale, and they are generally a great bargain. I'd lean towards the tractrix horn and larger radiator found in the Forte II, however. RF-7s are also out there, but less so. A decent bargain used, but like I said, I'm not a fan of the crossover. If you're looking for something new today, the RF-7II is a fantastic speaker, hard to beat, and can be found below MSRP, usually.

I'd be very surprised if the RF-7 III and Forte III don't sound fantastic as well, but they'll likely sound different, both from each other and previous generations, which is something you'll want to audition for yourself.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
There's A LOT of used Forte I and IIs out there for sale, and they are generally a great bargain. I'd lean towards the tractrix horn and larger radiator found in the Forte II...
QFT. The forte II typically go for $400-$500. Most of us old Klipsch farts got our start by scouring the used market. It can be trying, requiring patience for the right speakers to come along, but from a monetary standpoint it's fairly painless as they hold their value, should you decide to move on.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Which Forte, and which RF-7 model? There's A LOT of used Forte I and IIs out there for sale, and they are generally a great bargain. I'd lean towards the tractrix horn and larger radiator found in the Forte II, however. RF-7s are also out there, but less so. A decent bargain used, but like I said, I'm not a fan of the crossover. If you're looking for something new today, the RF-7II is a fantastic speaker, hard to beat, and can be found below MSRP, usually.

I'd be very surprised if the RF-7 III and Forte III don't sound fantastic as well, but they'll likely sound different, both from each other and previous generations, which is something you'll want to audition for yourself.
My question was about the current models being offered so the Forte III and RF-7II, I'm not interested in the used market right now. I may need to wait anyway, the wife is balking at the money so we need to discuss it, meaning my begging hasn't been Ninja quality so I need to up my game.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Sometimes you just gotta buy towers...
I love the RF7's so they may be what I go with, as stated in my last post the wife is now solidly balking. Also, Klipsch hasn't been responsive, I mean as in at all. I left a message for them, no response, I emailed them, no response so why should I shell out 4k to a company that doesn't care about it, they make their selling quota right now because people are into them, apparently responding isn't needed which frosts me a bit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis